Video Games

September 17th, 2016 at 1:39:30 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: terapined
Doom FPS came out before Duke Nukem FPS

It did? I guess that explains it. Don't reckon Doom appealed to 8 and 9 yr olds lol

Quote:
My favorite all time favorite FPS is Half Life. Another game I have almost finished

Would you believe I've never played it? Totally aware of it, and the HL3 memes and jokes, but ain't never picked it up. I remember looking for something new and it came down to that or Mass Effect. I went with ME. Wasn't disappointed =)

Quote:
Civilization, I have finished this game many times but I can only win with science and building a rocket ship. I can never win taking over the world, too hard.

Huh. I turn all that off lol. Too ingrained into the AoE mindset where all must die. Just now, finally, in the game I said I was playing last night, I'm on the cusp of a domination victory on Deity difficulty. I've beat it on all except for this very hardest. I've got Denmark marginalized and Kamehameha almost completely surrounded, but he's proving a tough nut to crack. He can't penetrate me, but he churns out units I wouldn't expect with cheat codes. I'm about to break my No Nuke policy and raze his entire landmass into the ocean =p

Quote:
Need a new fix, Mario Kart 8 on Wii U
Every new version of Mario kart left some great tracks alone and added new ones
Mario Kart 8 Wii U, every single track is upgraded. Incredible. Its like playing 24 brand new tracks
Only thing that sucks is game choices for Wii U is lacking

No Wii U, just the original. And I dunno. I fell out of MK after the N64. I play with my kid and little cousins on the Wii, but I just don't dig it like I used to. I guess I'm too serious a racer, and find it to be too gimmicky. The original was more race. This is more "find a blue shell and save it" =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 21st, 2016 at 6:25:28 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Fallout 4 totally rocks
I absolutely love this game
Takes place in the Boston area
Its real Boston area landmarks in a compressed version of the real Boston area
I am 17 hours into this game and have so much to explore and do
Just a huge sandbox.
The amount of enemies is perfect
Some areas have a lot, some don't. I love exploring a lot without having to kill somebody around every corner.
I have a main quest but with so many distractions, easy to get sidetracked
Just checked out Boston Common. Now I am so tempted to put my main quest on hold and do the Freedom trail
I walked the whole freedom trail in real life so this is really cool to walk it after nuclear war in the future.
What I really love is you can save anywhere and you can change difficulty on the fly
I spent 30 min trying to kill a mutant. It was a blast as I tried many different tactics and weapons
Finally got tired, went to easy mode, killed it off and moved on
That's what I love, tough battles, but if I tire and cant get through, go to easy mode just to get past tough spots then go back to hard mode
I love that flexibility, try to tough out a tough battle with the option of going to easy mode if the battle is too tough.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 9th, 2016 at 8:21:14 AM permalink
terapined
Just downloaded Forza Horizon 3 for the xbox one
Drive around Australia , have fun
Very highly rated so I bought it
46gb
wow
talk about huge, took me all night to download it
Playing it now, its a blast
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 14th, 2016 at 1:18:16 PM permalink
Face
I got out too early ><

Obv I was HUGE into Gran Turismo when it came out. Hundreds of hours racing when I should have been in class. GT2 came out during the worst of my junky phase, and oh yeah, I barely put it down. Might have been "sim-cade", an artists rendition of reality, but it was SO COOL to have a sim on console, even if it wasn't perfect.

GT gave way to Forza some time later. I got F1 as part of the bundle that came with the Xbox. Didn't play it for over a year as nothing could hold a candle to GT, right? Nope, played it one lazy day and was hooked all over again. F1, F2, F3, never missed an installment. When F4 came, I had the whole Surveillance Dept playing. We had a huge league, points, fun events like "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" a la Top Gear on the Top Gear test track, even played car futbol during our "All Star Break". Great fun =)

Horizon is where I stopped. It wasn't "racing" so I never even gave it a shot. Too bad, I hear it's awesome.
October 15th, 2016 at 2:57:20 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I am probably out of it, but I just realized that the digital assistant in Window's 10, Cortana, is a character from Halo.

Jen Taylor is voice actress
October 20th, 2016 at 2:58:59 PM permalink
Face
Shoulda left her in Halo. Like I'm gonna sit here and converse with this devil box. If I wanted to talk, I'd get some friends =p

Just here to rant, since I have the whole GD day to kill, according to EA...

I swore, long ago and on several occasions, that I would never buy an EA product again. They, IMO, are everything wrong with everything. My contempt for them truly knows no bounds. I'm not really sure when it started, but I know them buying and then ruining the NASCAR franchises on console was one big event. Monopolization of sports another. But when the latest SimCity hit the shelves, that did it. It was blaphemy for them to ruin such a beautiful, wonderful thing. I got it the day it came out, had to wait a week for complete and total server crashes to relent to play, and then was given pure horse s#$%. It was the antithesis of SimCity, this pile of dog mess I was given. And that day it struck true; I would never buy an EA game again.

3 and one half years later, they're still managing to f#$% me over.

I kept SimCity, obv, playing it occasionally but never with the same gusto as installations of old. It just wasn't SimCity anymore. But every now and again I'd get a hankerin' and fire her up. Last week was one of those moments.

Playing along, still a bit miffed at seeing the potential obscured by EA "genius", but having an OK time. I come home yesterday to fire it up and suddenly it's asking me for my activation code. Umm... dude, I bought it 43 months ago via digital download. I don't have that s#$% anymore! Check email just in case... yup. Long gone.

After an hour of looking, I see there is no recourse. Old password doesn't work, deleted mail doesn't go back that far, it's not in my old mail, it doesn't even have a record of the game d/l to my PC OR! the fact that I've previously ordered it before. It's just completely gone.

So customer support, right? F#$%ing HA! After filling out an idiotic request, you have but TWO options, just these two - 1) connect to live chat, or request a phone call. The wait times for both, that I've seen, have only ranged between "immediate" and "8min". Not bad at all, I'm thinking. So I go for it.

FOUR AND ONE HALF HOURS AND F#$%ING COUNTING. There's not even an email option, a text option, a "here's my problem and get back to me" option. No. Just f#$%ing sit here and wait, you filthy pleb.

I just cannot wait to be king. The carpenters unions are going to idolize me. The immense number of guillotines I will need...
October 20th, 2016 at 3:11:35 PM permalink
terapined
I played the original sim city
I loved it
What a great game, or , was a great game
Never played the updated versions.
As to your problems, check some game message boards
October 20th, 2016 at 3:27:56 PM permalink
Face
I did try game boards, Google, et al, to no avail. Fortunately, I managed to gain the attention of almighty EA right as I finished typing. Took 1 minute to solve. Took a day and a half to find someone. Bleh.

I'm not sure what qualifies as "original". I found SimCity on SuperNES... damn, I must've been 14 or so, so '94ish. Totally hooked. Will Wright simply nailed it.

I played off and on as I had no NES products and couldn't afford PC / internet until adulthood. I played a little of whatever came after the '94 version (SC2000?) in the PC lab at school. SC was used in a course of some kind, business or economics, something I didn't take. Since then, I don't think I've missed an installment.

I HIGHLY suggest picking up any of these old relics. SC3000 was great, like an enormous upgrade yet completely familiar to the original. You could probably get it brand new for $10-$20, which would be the value purchase of the century (assuming Win10 will run games meant for Win95). If it doesn't, then SC4 (WinXP) was just as super fabulous as any of the others. I cannot +1 it enough. Seriously, you will not be disappointed.

Just stay away from SimCity (released in '13). I mean, it's not terrible. If it was just another sandbox builder, it'd be pretty decent, and there ARE things which are revolutionary and/or improvements. But the essence of SimCity, even something as obvious as having a huge, sprawling box in which to play, has been completely gutted in favor of incredibly restricted sort of "zones" meant to interact online with other "zones". It can be fun. It IS fun. But it is NOT the SimCity you know and love.

Try 3000 or 4. I suggest you have personal leave available at work, first ;)
October 20th, 2016 at 4:34:13 PM permalink
terapined
I played the original or 1st sim city by Will Wright
I either played it on a Commodore 64 or my 1st PC which was DOS based
I loved that game.
Its like heroin, you just cant stop
Civilization is like that.
I hear another Civ game is being released soon.
December 4th, 2016 at 6:45:37 PM permalink
terapined
Was channel surfing and on ESPN2
Streetfighter V World Championship
A lot of fun to watch the best in the world competing
Surprised no tempers throwing the controller
a ton of money at stake
230k to the winner. WOW