May 16th, 2020 at 6:46:27 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined
I'm back to playing what I consider the greatest video game ever
Zelda Breath of the Wild
1st time around, I missed a lot of places to explore
This time around, trying to collect all the Korok seeds which means I have to explore everywhere
An online cheat map is helping me find all the seeds
Having a blast playing this game again.

I've never played that one and I rarely play video games now, (just sometimes with the kids) but I'm going to go with Final Fantasy VI as the greatest game of all time. If not that, then at least the greatest RPG of all time.

I know that many people would say Final Fantasy VII, and I'd have agreed once upon a time, but that game was more revolutionary (though still great) than it was the greatest. Mostly owing to the graphical capabilities of the PlayStation compared to consoles of previous generations, such as the SNES. I give the nod to FFVI because of the great story and cohesive world dynamic...like it made sense that all of these towns would be in the same world. In FFVII you had Midgar, but then most of the other places in the world didn't really seem to belong, other than Golden Saucer. Like, you've got all of this tech and nobody wants it except this one city?

Also, Kefka is a much better villain than Sephiroth. Don't @ me, bro. Much COOLER design and just wanted destruction for destruction's sake, not every villain necessarily needs a complicated backstory or plot device that really involves some higher overall motive.

You may have played Final Fantasy VI as Final Fantasy III, which is how it was first released stateside. Characters on the game were Locke, Terra, Celes, Edgar, Sabin, Cyan, Gao, Strago and Relm. There may have been a few others I forget. I think one of the Moogles was playable and some yeti thing, the name of whom I forget.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 18th, 2020 at 11:44:07 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Looks like Oculus Quest has a good racing game. Probably buy it and try it out before the next weekend. It's closer to Mario kart than actual race cars.

Civ- 6 Alexander the Great is an asshole at least in my current scenario. I did manage to take one of his cities last night though. That shut him up. At least for the moment.

I'm doing much better in this second game. Probably still making too many mistakes. I sent a bunch of land units on boats into unexplored territory, and managed to wander in the middle of Barbarian boats on all sides. RIP, all crew and passengers lost. I'm sure I lost my admiral license.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 18th, 2020 at 9:19:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Did you guys ever hear the story of the guy who played the same game of Civ II for ten years?

https://www.cnn.com/2012/06/18/tech/gaming-gadgets/civilization-ii-ten-years/index.html

Here's the full narrative on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/uxpil/ive_been_playing_the_same_game_of_civilization_ii/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 1st, 2020 at 1:52:05 PM permalink
rxwine
If you've got the cash, you can buy your own computer controlled VR pod. $1500

https://youtu.be/DWM9aKYtSVo?t=950
December 10th, 2020 at 8:51:48 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I'm excited
Cyberpunk 2077 is out today
Making a trip to gamestop to pick up a copy this morning.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 10th, 2020 at 9:46:33 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I'm excited

I find Mike Pondsmith to be an interesting guy and I don't play any role playing games.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 10th, 2020 at 10:52:39 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
I find Mike Pondsmith to be an interesting guy and I don't play any role playing games.

Just bought it
30 min line at gamestop
Hopefully I'll be able to play tonight
Yup
The days of buying a video game, popping it in and playing it are gone
It can take all day to install then update it
I havent used my xbox in 6 months
Just set it up last nite
Could not play anything
xbox itself needed to download a huge patch
After an hour
Tried to play a game, Forza Horizon 4 racing game
It needed to download an update
uggh
After an hour, got to play
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 18th, 2020 at 4:56:23 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
I'm excited

WOW

Apparently the game is so bad on PS4 that Sony has removed it for purchase and is offering refunds.

This is insane news, considering Cyberpunk is probably the biggest and most anticipated game release of all time.

It’s a shame because it runs great on the new consoles. I have a Series X and the game looks great and is as smooth as butter. There are still a lot of bugs, but it’s all really minor visual things.
December 22nd, 2020 at 5:10:08 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
Did you guys ever hear the story of the guy who played the same game of Civ II for ten years?

https://www.cnn.com/2012/06/18/tech/gaming-gadgets/civilization-ii-ten-years/index.html

Here's the full narrative on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/uxpil/ive_been_playing_the_same_game_of_civilization_ii/

I know that I am replying to this crazy late. But, I did see this when it came outand it is epic. That is the beauty of Civ games can last virtually forever. My Uncle played the early CIVs in the early 90s, I found them incredibly boring as a kid when he explained all of the tech attributes etc.... But, as an adult I came to love them and eventually played CIV5 with him.

I am slowly growing into CIV6, but I honestly still prefer CIV5 (and still mostly choose that to play). The new CIV6 Pirates mode is a lot of fun for a quick multiplayer match (basically Sid Meir's Pirates in CIV6 for a multiplayer scenario).
April 20th, 2021 at 11:19:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Even though I don't have the newest VR oculus headset, some of the VR produced material has come a long ways since I got it.

Not sure the best way to describe it, but if the Beatles had been filmed onstage when they performed their first concerts in the early 60s with this, the images of them would not only be in 3D but nearly impossible to tell the difference between actually being next to them versus a VR image. It's really high quality.

So far the highest quality seems to be from still camera positions. I'm not sure such quality can be achieved with a moving camera, at least I don't remember any, if I saw it. But when they use 3 or 4 camera positions for a scene you can get a more volatile image.

This is actually perfect for a live concert or performance. If Siegfried & Roy had been filmed in their last show, you probably could have seen the tigers teeth go into Roy's neck and blood fall on the stage, like you were right there. And you could verify exactly what happened.

~~~~

I'd say game footage has also improved over time as well, but not as much as the above of course.