Video Games

November 4th, 2019 at 11:10:02 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Luigi's Haunted Mansion 3
This game rocks
Just pure fun with unique puzzles.
So far loving it
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 2nd, 2019 at 8:00:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Didn't end up finding it on sale, but now have an Oculus Quest. Was getting good reviews. Still haven't activated it yet.

Nice thing about it is the whole thing is self-contained. You only use your computer to download any new games. The processor in the headset is all you need.

You set up a virtual boundry which the device keeps track of. You don't need any physical items to create the virtual fence. If you get into the boundry, it has an effect like old scifi movies like when someone tries to go through a force field.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 3rd, 2019 at 4:31:12 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
Didn't end up finding it on sale, but now have an Oculus Quest. Was getting good reviews. Still haven't activated it yet.

Nice thing about it is the whole thing is self-contained. You only use your computer to download any new games. The processor in the headset is all you need.

You set up a virtual boundry which the device keeps track of. You don't need any physical items to create the virtual fence. If you get into the boundry, it has an effect like old scifi movies like when someone tries to go through a force field.

Cool
Let us know how you like it
I'm was thinking about getting one
I really got excited when they announced the game half-life. Its such a classic
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 12th, 2019 at 11:33:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: terapined
Cool
Let us know how you like it
I'm was thinking about getting one
I really got excited when they announced the game half-life. Its such a classic

Well, I got it set up tonight. Wasn't too hard. Probably a year or more ago I tried a demo feature of the rift at local Best Buy,

But this was STUNNING. I almost dropped my hand controllers after about 20 minutes because I got so used to this table with various objects on it to get used to the ways to use the hand controllers, because I totally forgot the table wasn't actually REAL.

It's not that the virtual reality is indistinguishable from reality, but you're in such a consistent VR world that it's easy for your mind to see all the objects as real and reacting as real after awhile. I'd call it more a world of neon and a little haze. No matter how small your room is, it feels like your either in a large gymnasium or on another world. If you send a motorized object like the blimp, it gets smaller and smaller and the sound diminishes like a real object. Objects bounce off objects.

You can have a floor, but you can also appear to be standing in the middle of space in all directions. Maybe if you already use hand game controllers it wouldn't take you long to get used to these. It's going to take me a little while to get skilled. BTW, this is apparently also the launch date for hands without controllers free upgrade. You have your hands mapped. I didn't try that, nor look for the upgrade as yet. Think I'll just work on these controllers first. Haven't even got to any games yet.

5 out of 5 stars from me. Maybe it's cause I'm not really a gamer, but this didn't feel like a natural progression. You know, like a new game could be neater with a few extra features. This was more like, if I skipped several years of natural progression without all the in-between games. Seemed revolutionary to me.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 14th, 2019 at 10:37:20 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Lol, you're making me feel like a POS. I haven't raced in months because just sitting properly is too much a faff. Hell, I'm struggling with flying because having both hands up on the table just seems like so much work =p

So personally, I'm still anti-active vids. If I wanted to sweat, I'd just go do something.

BUT, some of this stuff looks fun as hell. Not like "vid fun", but just as an adventure into the alternate. I saw some pointless vid, seemed more a showcase of tech than an actual game with an objective. It was just a social club, but with interactive atmosphere. Didn't take long for people to start throwing darts at each other, pulling décor off the walls to be used as weapons, one guy just grabbed some dude by the leg and yeeted him off the balcony. I dunno why, but it's one of the funniest things I saw all year.

When I rode, there was a certain joy catching a fellow rider daydreaming, leaning over, and hitting his kill switch or turning his key off. I guess being able to be in a firefight with a buddy and being able to reach up and take the mag out of his weapon... it just gives that tickle, ya know? =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 17th, 2019 at 7:30:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Face
Lol, you're making me feel like a POS. I haven't raced in months because just sitting properly is too much a faff. Hell, I'm struggling with flying because having both hands up on the table just seems like so much work =p

Yeah, there is one move in one of the demo games where I have to reach behind my back to get a shield. Pretty uncomfortable with last years shoulder injury.

If you're getting anything like arthritis moving is recommended, I believe. Otherwise, even the sit down games require quite a bit of hand movement.

I just bought my first official game for it today. I've been playing the Demos up to now. Let me tell you, a 360 degree attack by enemies from all directions is pretty stressful ---but fun. I also feel like I pulled a muscle. : )

Quote:

BUT, some of this stuff looks fun as hell. Not like "vid fun", but just as an adventure into the alternate. I saw some pointless vid, seemed more a showcase of tech than an actual game with an objective. It was just a social club, but with interactive atmosphere. Didn't take long for people to start throwing darts at each other, pulling décor off the walls to be used as weapons, one guy just grabbed some dude by the leg and yeeted him off the balcony. I dunno why, but it's one of the funniest things I saw all year.

That sounds like one of the community events. People meeting in VR cyberspace. I haven't tried that yet. Looks like Wild West. I'm not sure if there are any rules. I'm sure you can block individuals, but seems warnings to expect anything goes is more like it.
December 19th, 2019 at 3:13:31 PM permalink
rxwine
I discovered I had some free Star War games. I just had to load them. This is some of the best graphics. I'm not sure if it matters how tall you are but when Darth Vader walks up to you he towers over you. I didn't get to the part where I had to fight him with a light saber.

I had a female legless robot as a guide and assistant.
December 20th, 2019 at 11:36:16 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Can you just "turn it off"? Like, if you hear the kid scream and the dog go skittering, can you insta push a button and, like, look through it into reality-reality? Or do you have to flip the whole thing up (and assuredly punch your own face with the joysticks)?

And is there any strain? Riding has shown me it's a fine line between not noticing and not being able to turn your head the next day. Seems like a honking brick of plastic glass and metal hanging 4" off the front of your face would wreck your neck in short order. This something you can put some time in, or we talking hour and tappin' out?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 21st, 2019 at 11:18:28 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Face
Can you just "turn it off"? Like, if you hear the kid scream and the dog go skittering, can you insta push a button and, like, look through it into reality-reality? Or do you have to flip the whole thing up (and assuredly punch your own face with the joysticks)?

That would be a cool feature, but it only does that in the set-up mode. I just lift mine up, The headset goes on standby after it detects more light coming in when you remove it.
Quote:

And is there any strain? Riding has shown me it's a fine line between not noticing and not being able to turn your head the next day. Seems like a honking brick of plastic glass and metal hanging 4" off the front of your face would wreck your neck in short order. This something you can put some time in, or we talking hour and tappin' out?

I have been playing all the games standing up, and the longest I’ve gone is 1 hour. I wouldn’t say I was worn out, but swinging motions and shuffling about for an hour was enough at one time and never got to notice any discomfort from the headset. Most games can also be set to play from a chair, so maybe if I had gone longer I would have noticed a headset issue.
January 8th, 2020 at 3:23:52 PM permalink
rxwine
Oculus quest FYI - Don't draw a boundry right next to a wall, unless you like occasionally smashing your hand into it.

I own one official paid-for game "Beat Saber" and still playing demos and trying to decide what I want to purchase next. Something new coming out each week; often games ported and reprogrammed for VR.

Only one simulation, had to take off the device, was a pro-motorcycle racing on a track. Haven't been sitting down at all, but that one I just kept losing my balance trying to stand. I've managed through everything else including aircraft, even Thunderbird jets.