Mid-Life Crisis

Page 2 of 4<1234>
February 8th, 2015 at 9:51:14 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Go get your testosterone levels checked and don't accept any of this "normal'' guff they try to give you. The best thing is to use the Dutch studies of normal men and obese diabetic or pre-diabetic men. See just what percentile of testosterone you are at make your decisions.

Sure some men divorce a wife and get a 19 year old actress or something. Or go vagabonding. Whatever.

But fist check the hormone levels before you turn in your CPA license to become a commercial baker.
February 9th, 2015 at 6:26:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Could surprising myself by retiring early mean a mid-life crisis? Then I qualify.

I'm OK with that but don't like to call it 'crisis'. 'Crisis' fits in the sense of 'developments coming to a head', but I don't think of it as 'crisis' in other ways. So, a 'mid-life it is what it is'

I always thought I'd work till about age 70 or so. I seemed to be in the right line of work for just that. Wrong.

Everything I thought I knew about that line of work got upended; I could no longer see myself continuing on in the 'new version' of what I had done before, dallied a bit in something else, found that job being eliminated too, and just finally realized retirement was the best thing. Thank God I was able to do so comfortably or I probably would have had to work at some really shitty job, maybe got divorced [you know how that goes].
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 9th, 2015 at 8:46:23 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Thanks for all of the responses. Being 48 years old I am way past my mid life and have recently just quit being so practical and am starting to enjoy myself a little more. Other than my gambling I was always relatively frugal. Now I am spending more money and really trying to enjoy my remaining time as opposed to saving for retirement. I am considering buying a red convertible, I just bought a house that is much too big and has a pool and jacuzzi, I am buying a pool table, I am considering a pinball machine and a bubble hockey game for the rec room.

None of it is practical, and I know my parents are just shaking their heads in disbelief and wondering what they did wrong. Maybe in a year or so it will just blow over but right now I just want to spoil myself and enjoy some things that I have wanted and put off the last 25 years.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 9th, 2015 at 11:16:19 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
Thanks for all of the responses. Being 48 years old I am way past my mid life.

'Mid life crisis' is a term, it really doesn't have
much to do with when you have it. Between
40 and 60 usually. It's when you wake up to
a different way of doing things. Or not.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 9th, 2015 at 11:53:14 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
'Mid life crisis' is a term, it really doesn't have
much to do with when you have it. Between
40 and 60 usually. It's when you wake up to
a different way of doing things. Or not.

I think it is when you're starting see "old" coming up quick in the rear view mirror and want to make the best of what little time you have left before it catches up to you.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 9th, 2015 at 12:00:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The movie '10' is a good example of a guy
having a mid life crisis. And you get to see
a drop dead gorgeous Bo Derek too.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 9th, 2015 at 6:28:30 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Fleastiff
But fist check the hormone levels before you turn in your CPA license to become a commercial baker.

Is this a freudian slip Flea?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 9th, 2015 at 6:45:56 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: DRich
I am considering ... a bubble hockey game for the rec room.

If it's CAN vs USA, we can't be friends.

CCCP only. Respect the game.

;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 9th, 2015 at 8:22:32 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: kenarman
Is this a freudian slip Flea?
I didn't know Freud wore slips but I wouldn't put it past him. Certainly he was totally senile when he wrote Civilization and its Discontents.
But really now... moi une CPA? I can't add. I can't subtract. How could I ever be a CPA? And if you've read even one of my posts in Nareed's cooking thread you will surely know I can't cook either. If it weren't for Chef Michelina I'd starve.
February 10th, 2015 at 9:29:21 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
“Today is the youngest you will ever be, live like it."
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 2 of 4<1234>