Mid-Life Crisis

Page 1 of 41234>
February 8th, 2015 at 1:17:06 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I am 48 years old and I think it is time for my mid life crisis. For those of you that think you may have gone through similar, what were your signs?

I don't mind telling mine but would like to hear what others have gone though first. If you haven't been through it, what signs have you seen in others that you attributed to it?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 8th, 2015 at 2:28:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
I am 48 years old and I think it is time for my mid life crisis. For those of you that think you may have gone through similar, what were your signs?

I don't mind telling mine but would like to hear what others have gone though first. If you haven't been through it, what signs have you seen in others that you attributed to it?

Probably reached it, but it happened in two phases. One was when I moved to AZ. At some point I looked at how I was hanging at the same bar and killing time over and over. Little chance to move up at my current job in the current city (I was really right there as during the process I was informed they were closing half the place!) So I just started applying for a transfer. I have told the story or parts of it here before, but I went from a nice house that I could no longer afford to living in a roommate situation more fit for just being out of college. It was a fun adventure, but a sign I was tired of life going nowhere.

Lately it has been more like the quote in "Office Space" in that my biggest motivation is not to be hassled. I have a job I really love, but my career has been a series of "assignments" the last 7 or so years. At each layoff my reaction has been a more and more progressive "whatever" and I just find another. I find things fast, but the thought of ever having a gig long enough to have vacation and other benefits for some kind of tenure are nil. I have little interests in bonding with co-workers unless they are people later in life and in the same situation as me.

My interests have changed. I care next too zero about any sports and that includes the Steelers. I still check the news but nowhere near as much as 10 years ago. My interests have drifted to skill-building and what some call "prepping." I look at the folks strung out with houses bigger than they need, cars beyond their means, and few back-up skills if their main jobs go south and just say "not me!" I look at so much stuff as being as much a hassle as enjoyable.

In the end you can say the "mid life crisis" is just realizing I am on the back-9 and have to supply and prepare for the rest of the journey.
The President is a fink.
February 8th, 2015 at 2:55:13 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
***cough***BVI***cough*** =D

I haven't (?) gone through it, as hopefully I'm not yet half way. Damn it, and now I just thought of what half way would be, and I might be there already =/

Anyways, I think it's just a product of loss, which I can certainly identify with. If you had kids, they've left or about to. If you had the same career since 20, you're about to retire or have already. That's a HUGE part of your identity. It's not just what you are, it's who you are. And your reward for completing these jobs is to lose them both. Now what? No kid needing help, no boss giving you work, there's nothing for you to do except what you give yourself, and you've only ever known how to give to others.

I of course am talking by way of assumption and not actual experience. But it made sense to me =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 8th, 2015 at 3:12:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I was mid 50's and didn't know it
was happening while it was. My dad
was mid 50's too. He was divorced
and filled his closet with new clothes
and bought his first new car and
dated a lot of women. Totally
different than he was before. Making
up for all he missed.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 8th, 2015 at 7:36:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: DRich

I think I'm going through mine now, although my life is more than half over. You can see that I'm pouring myself into unicycling. There is more to my mid-life crisis than than but I should probably stop writing there.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 8th, 2015 at 8:02:57 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
At age 48, I quit a decent job with full benefits, 3 weeks vacation, etc, and moved to Las Vegas to play poker for a living. Does that count?
February 8th, 2015 at 8:13:29 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: zippyboy
At age 48, I quit a decent job with full benefits, 3 weeks vacation, etc, and moved to Las Vegas to play poker for a living. Does that count?

Yes! You definitely outdid me. I left a GS-14 government job in 2001 to come here, but a mid-life crisis wasn't the reason.

Have we met before?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 8th, 2015 at 8:22:23 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: zippyboy
I quit a decent job with full benefits, 3 weeks vacation, etc

Ugh, I've already done this twice. Maybe not moving makes it mere stupidity and not a mid life
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 8th, 2015 at 8:30:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
Ugh, I've already done this twice. Maybe not moving makes it mere stupidity and not a mid life

They won't hire you back?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 8th, 2015 at 9:44:24 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Wizard
Yes! You definitely outdid me. I left a GS-14 government job in 2001 to come here, but a mid-life crisis wasn't the reason.

Have we met before?

We haven't met. I've not met anyone on here except DrawingDead on WoV, who's a poker buddy and expert horserace guy. I don't think he's a member here. I'd love to meet people on these forums. I'll be back in Vegas during WSOP this year to play in satellites. I'd love to be part of a meet-up!
Page 1 of 41234>