Easter Is Coming in 8 Weeks

February 9th, 2015 at 8:07:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
Let me ask you this, if all that is said of Jesus is true, would you worship Him?

I stand by my previous answer, because the whole Jesus myth is so far outside reality as to be as likely as perpetual motion machines, or the Moon being made of cheese.

But I will answer what you intended: No.

Not only no, but hell no.

There are many reasons for this, too many to go into detail, but the main one is this: I own myself.

I couldn't live a life dedicated to a deity of any kind, be it a myth or the true God, if he existed. Less so where the whole point seems to be to avoid eternal torture and spend eternity serving this harsh task master because he "loves" me. I'd rather not exist.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 9th, 2015 at 11:24:33 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I'll add a wrinkle to that - not only would everything said about Jesus have to be true, but everything Jesus said would have to be true.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 9th, 2015 at 11:33:53 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
I stand by my previous answer, because the whole Jesus myth is so far outside reality as to be as likely as perpetual motion machines, or the Moon being made of cheese.

That's a big part of it for me too. The Jesus
myth belongs to another age, when
superstition reigned and the age of reason
was 1500 years in the future.

So you say, but there are a billion Christians
in the world. Are there? Really true Christians
who have thought and reasoned this all out &
stand firmly behind all the nonsense? I don't
think so. They're Christians in name only, they
go through the motions because they've been
taught to.

I find it extremely interesting that secular parents
raise, in many instances, better children than
religious parents.

“Many nonreligious parents were more coherent and passionate about their ethical principles than some of the ‘religious' parents in our study,” Bengston told me. “The vast majority appeared to live goal-filled lives characterized by moral direction and sense of life having a purpose.”

Secular parents are forced to think about what
they're doing, be constantly proactive. Religious
parents are often lazy, letting the church influence
their kids (they think), rather than taking a more
active role themselves.. That's why prisons are stuffed
with Christians, lazy parenting.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 9th, 2015 at 11:58:53 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64
I'll add a wrinkle to that - not only would everything said about Jesus have to be true, but everything Jesus said would have to be true.

Everything that's claimed Jesus said.

Very good point. Very good point indeed.
February 9th, 2015 at 12:08:21 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I glad you recognize the uniqueness and radical nature of faith in Jesus Christ. It is very different than anything that has come before and has come since. It is extraordinary. One of the biggest hurdles we need to overcome to even begin to understand the truth of Christianity is that we are worth all this effort on behalf of God. That the God of the entire universe loves and cares for us. This is often a big point of ridicule on the part of non-believers. See Evenbob and his characterization of this as the ultimate ego trip. He seems to think that for us to believe God cares for us in such a special way that He would become one of us, serve us, teach us, sacrifice for us, die for us, and rise again is to think way to highly of an evolved ape.

I wonder if hidden behind this thought and others like it is a sense that we are not worthy of such over the top love. Christianity forces you to see yourself as a child of God and heir to an eternal kingdom. Often the response is that "I don't deserve that, I haven't earned it, I'm not worthy." All of which is true in some sense. However, God's love is truly unconditional and He loves us not because of what we do or don't do, but because of who you are.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 9th, 2015 at 12:11:11 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Nareed
Everything that's claimed Jesus said.

Very good point. Very good point indeed.

Read 'What Did Jesus Really Say' for an eye
opening look at what really happened.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Five-Gospels-Really-Authentic/dp/006063040X
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 9th, 2015 at 12:19:02 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob

Secular parents are forced to think about what
they're doing, be constantly proactive. Religious
parents are often lazy, letting the church influence
their kids (they think), rather than taking a more
active role themselves.. That's why prisons are stuffed
with Christians, lazy parenting.

So much of what you say is baloney I have a hard time bringing myself to respond, but I wonder if you really think following the teachings of Christianity leads people to prison? There are more Christians in prison than atheists. Is that because there are many more Christians than there are atheists or is it because they aren't vey good Christians (which you point out in this very post)? Your conclusions are laughable.

I will agree that lazy parenting increases a child's chances of going to prison, but this has no correlation to whether a parent is religious or not. Religious parents are very active in their parenting, maybe at times too much so. They are always thinking about what they are doing and are constantly proactive. I imagine good secular parents are the same way. What you are really commenting on is good parents versus lazy parents and if parents are truly religious it only helps them to be good parents. Look at the high school graduation rates, drug use, and pre-marital pregnancy rates between kids that go to Church and those who don't and you will be flabbergasted at the results.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 9th, 2015 at 12:22:41 PM permalink
FrGamble
It is so curious that you will trust what Robert Funk says really happened over and above the Bible itself and thousands of years of serious scholarship, study, and prayer.
February 9th, 2015 at 12:47:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
but I wonder if you really think following the teachings of Christianity leads people to prison?

In a way, yes. Secular kids are taught that
you do the right thing because you want
to, because it's morally correct to treat
others as you want to be treated. Christians
tell their kids they have to do the right
thing, it's a sin not to and you'll be punished
by god if you misbehave. This
leaves a ton of room for rebellion, when
the secular way leaves none. You make the
right choice because you want to, not because
you were told to.
February 9th, 2015 at 1:00:57 PM permalink
Nareed
I wonder if hidden behind this thought and others like it is a sense that we are not worthy of such over the top love.

I have never doubted humanity as a whole, and many individual in particular, are worthy of deep, heartfelt admiration and love.

Just as I'm sure that God, as portrayed in the Bible, and as interpreted by those claiming to practice his religions, is not worthy of such feelings.