Is it Pop or Soda?

Page 3 of 3<123
January 23rd, 2015 at 1:12:13 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I grew up in Ohio and most people I knew in the midwest called it Pop. I have lived out west long enough now that it is soda for me.

I agree with an earlier poster. It is funny down south do hear people ask what flavors of Coke do they sell at a restaurant.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 23rd, 2015 at 2:15:59 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Looking back, we called it pop in southern California when I was a kid. However, around the early 80s, the word "soda" seemed to become favored.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 24th, 2015 at 1:52:49 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
that thing about calling all of it "coke" down south, wow, that never used to be the case, something that has developed over time, I have to think

Here's a story, this was Arkansas. Me and my Dad [born in 1916] are way out in the sticks somewhere at a country store and he sees this soft drink he recognizes, gets all excited, saying "wow I can't believe you can still get these". So he buys one for him and one for me. After sipping on it, I realized it was not carbonated, but had some other kind of acid in it to be a preservative and give it some bite. I think it said what the acid was on the label, but I don't remember now what it was, something mild of course.

He loved it, but I didn't really like it much and didn't want another.

I'd say this was about 45 years ago.

Clearly, at one time carbonated soft drinks were did not totally dominate.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 24th, 2015 at 5:02:44 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit

Here's a story, this was Arkansas. Me and my Dad [born in 1916] are way out in the sticks somewhere at a country store and he sees this soft drink he recognizes, gets all excited, saying "wow I can't believe you can still get these". So he buys one for him and one for me. After sipping on it, I realized it was not carbonated, but had some other kind of acid in it to be a preservative and give it some bite. I think it said what the acid was on the label, but I don't remember now what it was, something mild of course.

There was a near store in Scottsdale called "Pop The Soda Shop." He had lots of old pop almost all in glass. Some old candy as well. The place probably could have been even better but the guy seemed to have always been a small shopkeeper and just didn't have the drive and resources to push it to the next level.

But if they made it he seemed to have it.
The President is a fink.
January 24th, 2015 at 5:40:02 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Yellow Pages, not Classified or Red Book.
Ice Cream Soda Not Frape or Frappe.
Hamburgers do not have mayonaise on them.
Its Kah-nish not Knish.
Soda not Pop. (All those calling it Pop either died off or are over at the slot machines using a powered cart and oxygen generator.)
Coke and Pepsi are trademarks and people should use them to refer to the respective products.
Its Text not SMS. (Even in the UK)
Its epinephrine, not Adrenaline.
If she is over twelve, its HoneyChild.
Its "Y'all come back now, ya hear" if you are selling boiled peanuts in the South, else its "Y'all come back now".
Its Green Pepper, not Capsicum
Heeps is the plural of a computer term, not a measure of emotional intensity or numerous encounters.
Cool change is a weather phenomenon.

Or else you are all backed off.
January 24th, 2015 at 6:09:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
Yellow Pages, not Classified or Red Book.
Ice Cream Soda Not Frape or Frappe.
Hamburgers do not have mayonaise on them.
Its Kah-nish not Knish.
Soda not Pop. (All those calling it Pop either died off or are over at the slot machines using a powered cart and oxygen generator.)
Coke and Pepsi are trademarks and people should use them to refer to the respective products.
Its Text not SMS. (Even in the UK)
Its epinephrine, not Adrenaline.
If she is over twelve, its HoneyChild.
Its "Y'all come back now, ya hear" if you are selling boiled peanuts in the South, else its "Y'all come back now".
Its Green Pepper, not Capsicum
Heeps is the plural of a computer term, not a measure of emotional intensity or numerous encounters.
Cool change is a weather phenomenon.

Or else you are all backed off.

Yellow Pages--How Quaint!
Egg Cream not Italian Soda
Hellmann's no Best Foods
Pop, always pop, unless you want to sound like you just came in from Philly
"Coke" in the USA, elsewhere "Coca-Cola"
Its "See Yinz all later"
The President is a fink.
January 24th, 2015 at 8:09:19 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
No mayo on a burger? Mayo is the
best condiment ON a burger. We
call it pop, if you said soda nobody
would understand. There are ads on
TV for the Yellow Pages.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 3 of 3<123