I have almost run the wheels off, time to start the search

Page 3 of 3<123
January 25th, 2015 at 1:52:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
Take deflated basket ball and wedge behind dent, pump up the basket ball and the dent pops out.

In a perfect world it does.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 25th, 2015 at 2:15:14 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
In a perfect world it does.

Yup, you try it, hear something pop, dent still there and you think to yourself, WTF did I just break.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 27th, 2015 at 2:55:21 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Well, I finally bought the replacement. Of all things I moved back 3 model years, 2005 to 2002 but 100,000 fewer miles! I bought local off a small lot. Got the price down by $400. Was going to offer $200 less after I said "give me your best price with new inspection stickers" but when he gave that price I figured why insult him for a counter of $100 difference at best.

As long as nothing major breaks and it lasts 2 years I will be in great shape. If I keep it 3 then I will be in beyond good shape and hopefully buying something really nice. Meantime I have a SUV with 4WD and loads of room to buy and haul stuff for various projects. She will eat more gas but be a better ride. Was 3rd vehicle I looked at and bought from a smallish lot.

A word on said lot. It is in not the best part of town. It was not BHPH, all cars were cash prices. The owners are fairly new to owning so still getting to know the biz. Selling $2-8K vehicles. Talking to one owner, he said that the locals do not have the cash to buy there and most of the customers were guys like me, wanting a decent ride without taking on a huge payment. Coming from a quint up on the income scale to get a deal because their rent is probably way lower there. Don't overlook these places, deals can be found. Cash talks.
The President is a fink.
January 27th, 2015 at 3:43:47 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
The hairs on the back of my neck stood up when I read that. It just sounds so sketchy... Where does the inventory come from? salvage titles?

I suppose there may be real deals, but it sure sounds risky.
January 27th, 2015 at 4:01:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

A word on said lot. It is in not the best part of town. .

My brother buys all his vehicles from
such lots.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 27th, 2015 at 5:36:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
Well, I finally bought the replacement. Of all things I moved back 3 model years, 2005 to 2002 but 100,000 fewer miles! I bought local off a small lot. Got the price down by $400. Was going to offer $200 less after I said "give me your best price with new inspection stickers" but when he gave that price I figured why insult him for a counter of $100 difference at best.

As long as nothing major breaks and it lasts 2 years I will be in great shape. If I keep it 3 then I will be in beyond good shape and hopefully buying something really nice. Meantime I have a SUV with 4WD and loads of room to buy and haul stuff for various projects. She will eat more gas but be a better ride. Was 3rd vehicle I looked at and bought from a smallish lot.

A word on said lot. It is in not the best part of town. It was not BHPH, all cars were cash prices. The owners are fairly new to owning so still getting to know the biz. Selling $2-8K vehicles. Talking to one owner, he said that the locals do not have the cash to buy there and most of the customers were guys like me, wanting a decent ride without taking on a huge payment. Coming from a quint up on the income scale to get a deal because their rent is probably way lower there. Don't overlook these places, deals can be found. Cash talks.

I was kind of surprised you didn't think you could find something more local than Florida. Although, the better deal you want, the more time and patience is going to be required -- or just get lucky and happen in at the right moment.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 27th, 2015 at 6:32:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Ayecarumba
The hairs on the back of my neck stood up when I read that. It just sounds so sketchy... Where does the inventory come from? salvage titles?

I suppose there may be real deals, but it sure sounds risky.

No salvage, rebuilt, etc. Among first things I asked. This one appears to be a one-owner deal. It is riskier the less you know about cars. I popped the hood and it had a new battery and they had cleaned the engine. Guy said they would clean it more when I smelled burning anti-freeze because they replaced a radiator hose. In the end I am using a mixture of car mechanical knowledge, car financial knowledge, and reading the people and situation--took all that and hoping for the best.

Quote: rxwine
I was kind of surprised you didn't think you could find something more local than Florida. Although, the better deal you want, the more time and patience is going to be required -- or just get lucky and happen in at the right moment.

Florida had two things going for it. Less rust and weather beating the body on the older one. But mostly I was hoping to wait until late this year and get a deal on a two year old off-lease vehicle. Those deals saved $4-5K in some cases. But two things happened. The current car needed too much in repairs and the oil and gas business went from flowing to ebbing. Been working about half time the last few weeks. So even a medium payment is not an option.

Quote: Evenbob
My brother buys all his vehicles from
such lots.

It takes a keen eye, patience, and some guts.

The weird thing is that I am happier when people say "that was a good deal!" than "that is a nice car!" A big change from years back. the rest is of less importance. Though I will admit to seeing how much the wheels spin before the AWD kicks in just now............
The President is a fink.
Page 3 of 3<123