I have almost run the wheels off, time to start the search

Page 2 of 3<123>
January 23rd, 2015 at 11:11:34 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Ayecarumba
Congratulations AZDuffman! I am looking forward to hearing how the rest of this story turns out. How does the registration work in PA? Do you have to send the paperwork to the DMV right away?

Looks as though they can do PA paperwork down there. I think I need to get an "enhanced" state inspection first time. All that will be in the report. Hopefully some here will learn, enjoy, and use it.

Downer #1 is there are two dents in the doors. Shopping cart stuff. I am not getting it repaired by them at this price so I will just go to my parent's house and do the minor bodywork. My dad will enjoy watching and maybe even the neighborhood old men can see the middle-aged guy who they saw grow up do a manly project.

Better than paying $19K for a two year old one with the current O&G industry the way it is.
The President is a fink.
January 23rd, 2015 at 11:49:18 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I would have gone to an auto auction
state that allows the public in, like MI.
You would have done much better.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 23rd, 2015 at 12:08:44 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
I would have gone to an auto auction
state that allows the public in, like MI.
You would have done much better.

No public auctions here, all dealer-only.
The President is a fink.
January 23rd, 2015 at 12:49:17 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
In the late 1990's I bought a car on Ebay from an individual. Although I didn't pay for it until I picked it up, it was still kind of scary getting a large cashiers check and flying into a strangle city, taking a taxi, and viewing the car for the first time. In my case everything went well but it would have sucked to have to buy a return one way flight at the last minute if the car wasn't as described.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 23rd, 2015 at 1:08:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
No public auctions here, all dealer-only.

That's why I said I would have gone to
a neighboring state that had them.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 23rd, 2015 at 1:13:58 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
That's why I said I would have gone to
a neighboring state that had them.

It matters not right now, the deal fell thru. Official story is that they had another person looking at it "at the same time as me." I think the real story is that they had a local who could get it off the lot today so they sold to the local. So the hunt continues.
The President is a fink.
January 23rd, 2015 at 1:36:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Check a neighboring state for auctions.
January 24th, 2015 at 6:59:41 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Saw a news story today on "vin cloning."

A vin is copied and used on different a car, but same model. If they steal your pristine vin, they can put it on a car to increase it's car fax value. A multi-accident car has a spotless history and sells for more.

OTOH, if someone is using your vin, you can go to sell your car and find the value has dropped because of multiple accidents because one or more cars are also using your vin.

Something to be aware of.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/vin-cloning-thieves-masking-car-thefts/story?id=28401709
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 24th, 2015 at 7:24:04 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Saw a news story today on "vin cloning."

A vin is copied and used on different a car, but same model. If they steal your pristine vin, they can put it on a car to increase it's car fax value.

It never seems to end. Changing VINs was the plot behind the first "Gone in 60 Seconds." Now they just steal a VIN and not the car.

My search continues. Did some brake work on mine today, just enough so I don't kill myself on the road. Some examination of the car shows the wisdom of the saying, "when you come to last page, close the book." Upped what I will spend though it is still low by car standards. Internet shopping dealers local and look to have something maybe by week end. I do plan to test drive and leave a few places then negotiate online. I swear if I had the cash for new I would still be looking used.
The President is a fink.
January 25th, 2015 at 11:57:53 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
Downer #1 is there are two dents in the doors. Shopping cart stuff. I am not getting it repaired by them at this price so I will just go to my parent's house and do the minor bodywork.
Take deflated basket ball and wedge behind dent, pump up the basket ball and the dent pops out.
Page 2 of 3<123>