Don't go to Switzerland

Page 3 of 6<123456>
January 15th, 2015 at 11:29:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
I think "kenarman" means you pay for it with your time spent listening to advertisements..

Except ads serve a purpose, I have learned
an untold amount of info from commercials,
we all have. They are the pulse of the times
we live in, they always have been. Brits don't
like them because they think Capitalism
is evil. As they slowly go broke as their
welfare society strangles them.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 15th, 2015 at 11:57:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
Except ads serve a purpose, I have learned an untold amount of info from commercials,

I said that many Brits are fine with the fee, but certainly many of them want more commercial TV.

Quote: John Whittingdale
John Whittingdale, chairman of the Commons media select committee, which is holding the inquiry, said the poll demonstrated that there was “considerable public dissatisfaction” with the current funding arrangements.
“In my view, the licence fee is becoming very difficult to sustain,” he said. “It is a flat rate poll tax, which is highly regressive without any kind of means testing, it is very expensive to collect and there is a very high level of evasion.
“It is now becoming harder to sustain because people’s viewing habits and the way they consume media is changing.
“Now is the right time to look again at whether or not the licence fee is the best way, and to consider alternatives.”

Scrap the BBC TV Licence. £145.50 per year to fund child abuse, tax avoidance and other dirty secrets.

The House of Lords recommended scrapping broadcast all- together and transferring everything to Internet Protocol Television and selling the UHF channels to cell companies.You could then easily collect money by selling it like Netflix.

Brits have an advantage that if only 10% of the English speakers in the work outside of Britain wanted to buy their TV, they should have a revenue windfall which would presumably more than make up for the license fee.
January 16th, 2015 at 3:26:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
It was, or is, a common practice in Israel.

The TV tax in Israel only has a few weeks left
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4516428,00.html

I don't read Hebrew (Obviously).
http://www.iba.org.il/
January 16th, 2015 at 11:57:04 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Wizard
Can someone from the UK sneak in a TV from France and watch TV for free?

The fee is on the house hold for the TV (broadcast reception device) and not charged when buying it. It's a yearly fee.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 16th, 2015 at 12:36:46 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I thought the Wizard was implying that you just tune into French TV broadcasts. No one knows you have the TV.
Technically, the French TV tax is only 20% lower than the UK tax. If they have broadcast towers near the channel, maybe they can tax the residents of UK who watch their TV.

But the article did say that many people avoid paying the tax. The government hires people to spy on their neighbors and gives them 20 pounds per person for everyone they badger into paying the tax. If that doesn't work they take them to court.

In 2011 165,000 people were brought before the bench, and 140-odd thousand were given a criminal record for not having their fee.

January 16th, 2015 at 12:55:07 PM permalink
Evenbob

In 2011 165,000 people were brought before the bench, and 140-odd thousand were given a criminal record for not having their fee.
]

I would be one of them. Just the thought
of this makes me angry. Fined for watching
TV. Why not a breathing tax, they breathe
the Brit air, that can't be free too.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 16th, 2015 at 1:16:13 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
The Swiss franc has been abandoned to speculators. Their export business and tourist business may collapse as only the ultra wealthy will be able to visit. The TV watching license fee is now over $450 a year in US dollars.
What are the main international revenue generators for Switzerland?

Hot Cocoa?
Army Knives?
Watch Movements?
January 16th, 2015 at 1:27:56 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
What are the main international revenue generators for Switzerland?

Hot Cocoa?
Army Knives?
Watch Movements?

Cuckoo clocks
Secretive banks
The Swiss Guard
Swiss chocolates
Rent on their part of the LHC at CERN?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 16th, 2015 at 1:53:00 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I thought the Wizard was implying that you just tune into French TV broadcasts. No one knows you have the TV.
Technically, the French TV tax is only 20% lower than the UK tax. If they have broadcast towers near the channel, maybe they can tax the residents of UK who watch their TV.

Again it's not the TV channel watching that is licenced/taxed, it's the reception equipment.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 16th, 2015 at 2:26:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: TheCesspit
Again it's not the TV channel watching that is licenced/taxed, it's the reception equipment.

So you can watch TV without a TV then?
Of course it's the watching they're taxing.
Page 3 of 6<123456>