Golden Globes mostly ignores broadcast

Page 2 of 4<1234>
January 13th, 2015 at 12:30:09 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
There were some movies about Brazillian slums that won some accolades. I think the budgets are so small in Latin America, that production values suffer, making it difficult to find distribution in the USA. Cultural differences, like the acceptance of characters wearing clown make-up, also make it hard to get anything besides, "Drug Cartel Shoot-Em-Ups" across the border (see "El Mariachi"). Besides an adoration of big guns, long legs, high heels, cocktail dresses, and enhancement surgery, there is not much else that translates.
January 22nd, 2015 at 5:03:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
There were some movies about Brazillian slums that won some accolades. I think the budgets are so small in Latin America, that production values suffer, making it difficult to find distribution in the USA. Cultural differences, like the acceptance of characters wearing clown make-up, also make it hard to get anything besides, "Drug Cartel Shoot-Em-Ups" across the border (see "El Mariachi"). Besides an adoration of big guns, long legs, high heels, cocktail dresses, and enhancement surgery, there is not much else that translates.

Alejandro González Iñárritu after making one single low budget film set in Mexico City in Spanish has moved up to be one of the most celebrated English language film directors.All four of his english language films have been nominated for Academy Awards.
21 Grams (2003),
Babel (2006),
Biutiful (2010), and
Birdman (2014)

Alfonso Cuarón Orozco has drifted back and forth from English to Spanish films, but has hugely successful "English films.

However, I am still surprised that so few films are remade considering the long list of French films remade into English.
January 6th, 2019 at 5:59:23 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
This year's Golden Globe has only 1 broadcast show, and only 2 shows from basic Cable out of 10 nominees for Best Television Series

Musical or Comedy
The Good Place -----------NBC only broadcast show
Barry - HBO
Kidding - Showtime
The Kominsky Method - Netflix
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - Amazon

Drama
The Americans- FX
Pose - FX
Bodyguard - BBC
Homecoming -Amazon
Killing Eve - BBC America

As always, the target audience for the movie nominations is very different. A movie that sells only a few million tickets (or less) is crafted very differently that a movie that is designed to sell tens of millions of tickets.

Best Motion Picture
Drama
Black Panther - 76 million tickets
A Star Is Born - 23 million tickets
Bohemian Rhapsody - 22 million tickets
BlacKkKlansman - 5.5 million tickets
If Beale Street Could Talk - 362 thousand tickets

Musical or Comedy
Crazy Rich Asians - 20 million tickets
Mary Poppins Returns - 15 million tickets
Green Book - 4 million tickets
Vice - 3 million tickets (how is this movie a musical or comedy)
The Favourite - 2 million tickets (how is this movie a musical or comedy)
January 6th, 2019 at 10:07:07 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
What's the big deal with the Golden Globes
The voters are journalists that write for foreign news outlets.
Why should we value the opinions of non-Americans judging American entertainment
Why should I care about what US entertainment somebody not from this country likes
Too me, it makes no sense.
Lets have a music awards show with voters from outer Mongolia determining the winners
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 6th, 2019 at 10:14:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

Black Panther - 76 million tickets

I just don't get it. One of the worst
movies in the last 10 years. It was
beyond stupid.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 6th, 2019 at 7:53:52 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
I thought Jeff Bridge’s speech was fantastic.
January 6th, 2019 at 7:58:52 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
I just don't get it. One of the worst
movies in the last 10 years. It was
beyond stupid.

Did you see it?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 6th, 2019 at 8:02:03 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: terapined
What's the big deal with the Golden Globes
The voters are journalists that write for foreign news outlets.
Why should we value the opinions of non-Americans judging American entertainment
Why should I care about what US entertainment somebody not from this country likes
Too me, it makes no sense.
Lets have a music awards show with voters from outer Mongolia determining the winners

It's worse than that. The winners are the ones who paid the most to win. I lost what minuscule respect I had when the Martian won for best comedy.

The Martian won the Golden Globe for Best Comedy because everything is a lie.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 6th, 2019 at 8:10:38 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: Wizard
It's worse than that. The winners are the ones who paid the most to win. I lost what minuscule respect I had when the Martian won for best comedy.

The Martian won the Golden Globe for Best Comedy because everything is a lie.

It’s all a giant advertisement.

Hoping that it’s anything else will only lead to disappointment.
January 6th, 2019 at 8:33:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
Did you see it?

What I could stomach of the green
black people and the ridiculous story
line and terrible acting. I lasted
about 40 min. There are hundreds
of 1 star reviews on IMDB tearing
this movie apart, it was that bad.

Here's one that I could have wrote:

I outright laughed at the beginning of the movie, Lion King meets Wonder Woman...lol. HIDDEN GIANT CITY with mass transit system in the sky, flying ships, and people who gather on steep rocks to watch a fight. I mean the entire concept is ridiculous. The CGI is mediocre and disappointing. The actors were HORRIBLE...whoever wrote the lines to this pile of crap should be run out of Hollywood. WHO the hell said this was the BEST Marvel film ever???? Kept falling asleep as well due to lack of action and horrible dialogue. 2 hours of my busy life ill never get back.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 2 of 4<1234>