Golden Globes mostly ignores broadcast

Page 1 of 41234>
January 12th, 2015 at 12:44:25 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Kudos to Gina Rodriguez for winning the Golden globe Best Actress for the title role of "Jane the Virgin" . The show has the distinction of being rated 96 out of 96 scripted shows so far this year.

Jane the Virgin and Downton Abbey were the only two show on broadcast to get awards. Fargo was the only show on basic cable to win.

Best TV Series, Drama =The Affair - Showtime
Best Actress in a TV Series, Drama = Ruth Wilson (The Affair) - Showtime
Best Actor in a TV Series, Drama = Kevin Spacey (House of Cards) - Netflix
Best TV Series, Musical or Comedy= Transparent - Amazon Studios
Best Actress in a TV Series, Musical or Comedy = Gina Rodriguez (Jane The Virgin) - CW
Best Actor in a TV Series, Musical or Comedy =Jeffrey Tambor (Transparent) - Amazon Studios
Best TV Movie or Mini-Series = Fargo - FX
Best Actress in a Mini-Series or TV Movie = Maggie Gyllenhaal (The Honorable Woman) - BBC and SundanceTV
Best Actor in a Mini-Series or TV Movie = Billy Bob Thornton (Fargo)- FX
Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Mini-Series or TV Movie = Joanne Froggatt (Downton Abbey) - BBC & PBS
Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Mini-Series or TV Movie = Matt Bomer (The Normal Heart) - HBO
January 12th, 2015 at 12:12:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The only one of these I watched or
even heard of is House of Cards.
I always turn it off after the open.

Quite a big deal for a company that
isn't even a TV network.
This could be the best acceptance
speech ever given.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2015 at 4:45:08 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Telecast live? He said Fxxxxxg over the air on network TV or did they have someone riding the button?
January 13th, 2015 at 4:56:55 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Best TV Series, Drama =The Affair - Showtime
>>>>Never heard of it.
Best Actress in a TV Series, Drama = Ruth Wilson (The Affair) - Showtime
>>>>Never heard of the show; never heard of the actress.
Best Actor in a TV Series, Drama = Kevin Spacey (House of Cards) - Netflix
>>>>Heard of the show; Get him mixed up with Kevin Kline of Usual Suspects fame.
Best TV Series, Musical or Comedy= Transparent - Amazon Studios
>>>> Never heard of it.
Best Actress in a TV Series, Musical or Comedy = Gina Rodriguez (Jane The Virgin) - CW
>>>> Never heard of the show; never heard of the actress
Best Actor in a TV Series, Musical or Comedy =Jeffrey Tambor (Transparent) - Amazon Studios
>>>>Never heard of the show; never heard of the actor
Best TV Movie or Mini-Series = Fargo - FX
>>>>Was it a remake? That was an old movie of a few years ago, I thought.
Best Actress in a Mini-Series or TV Movie = Maggie Gyllenhaal (The Honorable Woman) - BBC and SundanceTV
>>>>Never heard of the show; never heard of the actress.
Best Actor in a Mini-Series or TV Movie = Billy Bob Thornton (Fargo)- FX
>>>>??
Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Mini-Series or TV Movie = Joanne Froggatt (Downton Abbey) - BBC & PBS
>>>>Heard of the show; watched something in season 1?? about the rich women cooking for the visiting officers WW one or two?
Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Mini-Series or TV Movie = Matt Bomer (The Normal Heart) - HBO
>>>>Never heard of the show; never heard of the actor.

I guess all the action has shifted to Showtime, HBO and Netflix or to CW which seems to be the market for the 14-22 set.
Ofcourse the BBC does alot here, but I tend to favor Masterpiece Theater (Crime) or something like, Worricker.
January 13th, 2015 at 5:20:33 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
I guess all the action has shifted to Showtime, HBO and Netflix or to CW which seems to be the market for the 14-22 set.
Ofcourse the BBC does alot here, but I tend to favor Masterpiece Theater (Crime) or something like, Worricker.

Transparent is on Amazon Prime streaming service.

The CW network claims they are shooting for 18-34 age bracket (not 14-22), but there are very few actors under the age of 30. It's only got 10 hours of programming per week, and even the top rated shows have very low numbers. Jane the Virgin is on the absolute bottom of the heap for ratings.

The actresses who play Jane, her mother and grandmother are all Puerto Rican ancestry, but they are played as kind of generic Latinas, without identifying them Mexican, Puerto rican, or Cuban (although it is set in Miami). The love interest is actually Jewish and Italian, but he passes as "swarthy".

It's based loosely on a Venezuelan TV series. The high camp style of the American series with narration by an unknown Latino is purely for Anglo audiences.

January 13th, 2015 at 5:45:22 AM permalink
Fleastiff
For CW, maybe its not age but waist size that has to be 14. I just tend to associate vampires, witches and the like with 14 year olds.

Latin America exporting their TV shows? Why not, they've exported a good segment of their audiences here.

Canada had something called Little Mosque on the Prarie.

I wonder if it was the product of writers or of actual demographics.

Parmin et Circensium ...Bread and Circuses. Comes in all forms these days. Certainly makes a lot of money. Entertainment industry always has. Entertainment industry was just about all that existed during the depression.
January 13th, 2015 at 8:17:56 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
Latin America exporting their TV shows?

Surprisingly few Latin American TV shows or Movies have been remade into English so far. In comparison the rights any movie that is reasonably successful in French are immediately sold for English remakes. More and more Asian show or movies are remade.

There have been only 5 movies in the last 20 years, and only two TV series that I can think of

English-language film Spanish-language film
Vanilla Sky (2001) Abre los ojos (1997)
Criminal (2004) Nine Queens (2000)
Quarantine (2008) REC (2007)
Silent House (2011) The Silent House (2010)
We Are What We Are (2013) We Are What We Are (2010)

But NBC will remake approximately three telenovelas starting with “La Viuda Joven,” (The Black Widow) about a woman who loses 4 wealthy husbands.
The other two novelas that will be developed by NBC have yet to be announced.

In contrast, nearly everything that is made in English is at least closed captioned in Spanish. Children's shows are dubbed immediately. Metástasis is the Colombian, Spanish-language shot-for-shot remake of the U.S. crime drama Breaking Bad.
January 13th, 2015 at 9:07:45 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I wish the spanish language stations would provide english dubbing or the english language track on their SAP channel. Many of the shows are more interesting than the reality programming on the english language stations.
January 13th, 2015 at 9:31:24 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Ayecarumba
I wish the spanish language stations would provide english dubbing or the english language track on their SAP channel. Many of the shows are more interesting than the reality programming on the english language stations.

Univision has closed captions in English their telenovelas. I don't think they could cc their entertainment shows like "El Gordo y La Flaca" or "Sabado Gigante".
January 13th, 2015 at 9:48:48 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Reality is such a misnomer. Much of it is hyped and faked but its still so cheap to make that just about any audience will be profitable. Even a reality show of Paint Drying Watchers would probably get a good first season.

One touring band found out that in Europe a band on TV is not expected to actually play... lipsync is expected of them unlike this country where it is considered fake. So who knows what might happen with different cultures.
Page 1 of 41234>