rubbing his nose in it. When he ran and hid,
I did it again, then took him outside. That
was 10 years ago and he has never peed in
the house since.

When I tell this story to other Bichon owners,
or dog owners in general, they regard me
with looks of horror on their faces. One told
me the dog should be 'rescued' from me.
He lived through it and was trained forever.

I hate PC.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 29th, 2015 at 6:23:02 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
I don't doubt it, and I'm glad for it =) But I also remember you saying you've only owned small dogs.

Do you want to clean up after a big dog? A small dog is hardship enough.

Quote:
There is a bit of a difference. If a small dog becomes aggressive, it's a pain in the ass.

When a small dog becomes aggressive she's actually rather cute.

Still, I know large dogs who've been spoiled, and they're not aggressive. They're merely spoiled brats. And none of this has much to do with dogs being allowed past the kitchen.

BTW, I did allow all my dogs on my bed, because I often sat there when I watched TV. I allowed them to sleep there when I took a nap, too. But not at night. Then each had her own bed.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 30th, 2015 at 12:59:05 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed
Do you want to clean up after a big dog? A small dog is hardship enough.

I've actually never cleaned up after a dog lol. It always pooped in the side yard, and we never used that yard. So it just eventually broke down and was gone. And all the hikes we went on were in the woods, and I mean actual woods, not trails in a park.

Still, I know large dogs who've been spoiled, and they're not aggressive. They're merely spoiled brats. And none of this has much to do with dogs being allowed past the kitchen.

Hehe, yes, we did get off track. But bottom line, I've never had a house dog and I do have carpet. And not living in the city or really even in town, all walks are in dirt and mud. And when we go to the crick or the swamp and she takes off into it, I let her. And if she finds a desirable carcass to roll around on, I let her. A dog is gonna dog, ya know? And good for her =)

But that #$%^ ain't coming onto my carpets =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 30th, 2015 at 2:39:41 PM permalink
Nareed
I've actually never cleaned up after a dog lol.

And I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
But bottom line, I've never had a house dog and I do have carpet.

I understand all that, but it's still no way to treat family.

Dogs are not just domesticated, they're integrated into human life. IMO they deserve their part of the civilization they've helped to build.

Quote:
And when we go to the crick or the swamp and she takes off into it, I let her. And if she finds a desirable carcass to roll around on, I let her. A dog is gonna dog, ya know? And good for her =)

Maybe. My very tiny dogs played at stalking and killing prey, in the form of stuffed animals. Hey, if she grabs it by the neck and shakes it, she's trying to kill it. But I didn't let them go hunting vermin or even birds (I didn't let the cat do that either, but she managed anyway). And they can tell the difference.
March 30th, 2015 at 5:20:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

I understand all that, but it's still no way to treat family.
Dogs are not just domesticated, they're integrated into human life. IMO they deserve their part of the civilization they've helped to build..

I wouldn't have a dog that didn't come in the
house. They have so much to give if you just
let them. If he's alienated outdoors most of
the time, lonely and wanting to be with you,
what's the point of having him. It's like this
relationship is 80% about you and 20% about
the dog. You have to do some self searching
and wonder why you a dog in the first place.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 31st, 2015 at 6:41:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I can't stand being around a dog that the owner doesn't have under control - of course it is worse if the dog is a big dog, but all cases of it really blow.

I can't fail to notice it is usually women dog owners who don't seem to get it.

I had a neighbor [who actually thought she was good with dogs] who was typical. She tried to get control over the dog by logic. She would carefully explain to the dog in English [not any kind of "dog" language*] what it was that the dog was doing that she didn't like. Gee why didn't that work?

Have you heard of the new technique of using clickers? Google it. Apparently the training is by treat only, no scolding. I guess it works to some degree with a dog that wants to please. I really don't get it when it comes to trying to keep the dog from doing something bad - person I knew just said they employ "avoidance" - the whole idea is so strange to me.

*by dog language I mean any kind of communication the dog might understand, such as tone of voice, physical punishment, etc., .... but including appropriate praise too
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 31st, 2015 at 8:05:30 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Our dogs sleep in bed with us and they are in the 50 to 100 pound range.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 31st, 2015 at 8:59:22 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
If he's alienated outdoors most of
the time, lonely and wanting to be with you,
what's the point of having him. It's like this
relationship is 80% about you and 20% about
the dog. You have to do some self searching
and wonder why you a dog in the first place.

Plenty of reasons. Companionship, friendship, sense of purpose. My old dog brought a lot of joy and a lot of good memories. And, of course, now that my son is 6, I feel it borders on a necessity. All boys should have a dog, and it adds a sense of responsibility to his life, among many other things.

Y'all act like I'm leaving her chained to a tree all day long. Perhaps that's a reasonable assumption, what with all the leash laws nowadays, but that's not the case. The dogs in the neighborhood all roam free. Granted, they're trained and not menaces, but they visit door to door all the time. When I had a dog, mine did the same. When I'm outside, we play. When I go to the store, she comes with. When I go hiking, she goes hiking. And when I go inside, she does whatever she wants. She wouldn't even come inside unless it was a ripper of a thunderstorm, or late in her life when it got really cold out. And everyone was happy.

If I just wanted something up my ass every waking minute, I'd simply remarry =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 31st, 2015 at 11:10:31 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

If I just wanted something up my ass every waking minute, I'd simply remarry =p

A dog is the opposite of a wife. They're
always glad to see you, overjoyed to do
what you, go where you go, never complain
or criticize, always return as much affection
as you give them, always do what they're
told. They are the perfect 24/7 companion.
March 31st, 2015 at 1:55:27 PM permalink
Nareed
Y'all act like I'm leaving her chained to a tree all day long.

Not at all. I just can't fathom the idea of having a dog and not letting her into the house.

Of course, it may be you're an outdoors person, which I fail to comprehend either. I favor Sheldon Cooper's comment that civilization has spent millennia perfecting the indoors ;)