Dear Republican Party

Page 4 of 4<1234
November 8th, 2012 at 1:13:07 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Mosca
Sorry my friend, I'm just going to disagree. I only posted as a data point, not to try to change your mind. 'S ok with me that you think I'm nuts.

My point is that thinking of the GOP as fiscally responsible or in favor of free markets is wrong.

For example, Bush handed out bailouts, meddled in education, and instituted new "entitlements." Not to mention that he drove up the deficit. All he did was lower taxes, which got th eblame for the deficit even though revenew increased.

Romney signed off on a healthcare scheme little different from Obamacare. Anne Coulter wrote in a column that Romney propposed something different which got changed in the state legislature. Maybe so, but he signed off on it.

Remember when the dot.com bubble burst? That was bad, as all such things are, but nowhere near as bad as when the housing bubble burst. one reason is that government did not guarantee loans to buy internet stock, nor pressured banks or brokerages into selling stocks on marginto people with poor credit histories. What you didn't see either were bailouts for internet companies or the banks and venture capitalists who backed them. End result, the dot.com companies that survived mostly continue to do well and new ones have sprung up.

That's closer to a free market crisis as compared to a mixed economy one. And the GOP is firmly on the side of a mixed economy.

BTW, I'm not arguing, just clarifying my position.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 8th, 2012 at 2:15:03 PM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Threads: 0
Quote: Nareed
For example, Bush handed out bailouts, meddled in education, and instituted new "entitlements." Not to mention that he drove up the deficit. All he did was lower taxes, which got th eblame for the deficit even though revenew increased.

Romney signed off on a healthcare scheme little different from Obamacare. Anne Coulter wrote in a column that Romney propposed something different which got changed in the state legislature. Maybe so, but he signed off on it.

But saying that either Bush or Romney is a model conservative that exudes all the conservative values would be as wrong as saying Akin is a model conservative.

As those familiar with gender identity issues are fond of saying: it's a spectrum, there are no absolutes.
World's most discriminating Kool-Aid connoisseur
November 8th, 2012 at 2:26:21 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: MonkeyMonkey
As those familiar with gender identity issues are fond of saying: it's a spectrum, there are no absolutes.

Quote: Obi-wan
Only a Sith deals in absolutes
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
November 8th, 2012 at 3:01:01 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote:
Quote bad movies you shall not, even if in them I am.

Attributed to Yoda
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 8th, 2012 at 3:09:53 PM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Threads: 0
Quote: AcesAndEights
Quote: Obi-wan
Only a Sith deals in absolutes

Well that's good news, here I'd been under the assumption that I might secretly be a Sith.

Perhaps this is even worse news for EvenBob. :(
World's most discriminating Kool-Aid connoisseur
Page 4 of 4<1234