assisted suicide

Page 2 of 2<12
November 4th, 2014 at 3:23:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Nareed
Do American homes really have a living room right at the front door? Do people really watch TV there?

Some are exactly like that, but a lot also have foyers .

My parents home in Florida was exactly like that. But they also had somewhat weird things like the "Florida Room".

EDIT

Maybe not so weird, but just called something else normally

https://www.google.com/search?q=florida+room&biw=1600&bih=734&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=4GFZVOPJI433yQT5lIKADQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 4th, 2014 at 4:08:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
Ever read Mishima? In fact, if you need an author to add to your reading list, I suggest him.

There is a movie about him (1985), which back in the video store rental days I laughed when I saw it shelved with martial arts films. I thought some martial arts fan was going to get a shock when he watched this cerebral film.
It is difficult because it shifts from past to present and from reality to fiction very quickly.

November 4th, 2014 at 4:36:58 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
There is a movie about him (1985), which back in the video store rental days I laughed when I saw it shelved with martial arts films.

Talk about stereotyping.

I'm not well-versed in Japanese cinema, but like any country it has a wide variety of genres. Comedies, cartoons, kiddie movies, dramas, tragedies, etc. Maybe even martial arts films.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 4th, 2014 at 6:19:36 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Talk about stereotyping.

This is amusing when you read about this film... never shown in Japan, and a joint American/Japanese production.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 4th, 2014 at 8:33:22 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Still, how do your prosecute it. The accused cannot face his accusers, nor can he assist in his own defense. Any trial would be patently unfair. trials conducted without the defendant, in-absentia, tend to be overthrown and retried, should the defendant be produced. Even then, the defendant doesn't show up because he has fled the jurisdiction. Dead people are rarely tried.

I wonder how many people believed they'd be affected by such punishment. A Christian would expect an eternity in Hell to begin with.

Countries that allow euthanasia:http://topics.wisegeek.com/topics.htm?euthanasia-legal-countries# Switzerland is one of them. If someone can deny your choice to die, then they own you.

I'm glad I posted this question, there are some interesting thoughts indeed.

I just wagged a guess and thought it had something to do with insurance or doctors for some reason not wanting to be seen as veterinarians? Obviously a successful attempt won't incarcerate the victim but it does invalidate life insurance. Say if someone determined to exit and leave the family the insurance money, especially if the deceased was terminal or for other equally personal reasons wanted to be the one to choose the when, where and how.

Also, the attempts that are unsuccessful would give authorities "power" to intervene, possibly?

As far as God goes, it seems hard to believe that he would want a person to suffer beyond a recoverable or tolerable degree. God isn't unnecessarily suppose to be cruel.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 5th, 2014 at 4:59:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
Should the state have the power to determine if you should be able to take your own life?

Five states have legal doctor assisted death with dignity laws.

So, other states say it is illegal for you to commit suicide. Who's right is it to make that decision?

An issue might be coercion to do it, or just using the law to cover up murder. You would have to make a standard way and process to do it. Forget for the moment that doctors take an oath that prohibits their assistance, we do not want people just offing themselves for others to find. We don't want someone deciding on the spur of the moment and someone helping when later they could have changed their mind.

IOW, I am not against it but want to be sure it is all on the level.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 2<12