It's Android Lillipop (really)

Page 2 of 2<12
November 21st, 2014 at 12:03:38 AM permalink
beernuts
Threads: 0
Haven't tried Lollipop yet but I don't like Jelly Bean. I liked ICS a lot more.
November 25th, 2014 at 7:06:34 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The reports of malfunctions, bugs and glitches aren't major, but I've decided to wait until the first "fixed" version of Lollipop hits.

You don't hear of the new Lollipop horror story in every tech press publication, no. In fact, I've seen far more carping and criticism of iOS8, but the issues mentioned seem bad. Some are minor, but then you read about batteries draining quickly, Nexus 7 (2012) tablets reduced to flat paperweights, disappearing apps, interminable boot times, etc.

This is really bad, since among the pre-launch hype were the promises of longer battery life and faster devices <roll-eyes>. It almost seems like we should rename it Android Irony (Irony: a statement meant to convey the opposite of its literal meaning): "Longer battery life!" vs "Your battery won't last an hour." "Faster devices" vs "your tablet runs nothing now." See?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 22nd, 2015 at 8:50:59 AM permalink
Nareed
BTW, I got lollipop on my Nexus 7 (2012) last week.

By then the hype had crashed and burned already, so I didn't expect much from it. For once I wasn't disappointed.

Aside from the cosmetics, which strike me as merely cosmetic, there's nothing much to see. I like being able to turn Bluetooth on and off without opening settings, but I dislike having to swipe twice in order to see the battery charge percentage.

It runs no better or worse than Kit Kat, IMO, depending largely on how the app is feeling like at any given time. It may be the battery is charging faster, but I'm not really sure.
January 23rd, 2015 at 3:04:32 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
You know, when I came across Android, I first thought the candy names were cute. Now I'm sick of them.

The original name of 86-DOS was QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System), before being made commercially available.
January 26th, 2015 at 7:09:55 AM permalink
Nareed
I miss Jelly Bean.

Lollipop was supposed to run faster, use up less battery and do Julienne fries. In actual fact it's been slowing down the tablet at odd moments for odd reasons. Sometimes I have to reboot it to get it to run, or give it time to catch up with useless notifications first (I know! I'll remove those notifications!)

The battery thing, remarkable, is working. I think mostly it's a matter of switching off Wi Fi when not in use. Perhaps also shutting down one processor core, or running the cores slower, which may explain the sluggish performance when "waking up" the tablet. Another feature is when plugged in, the OS lets you know how long it estimates the battery needs to get back to 100% charge.

The bottom line is these frequent OS updates create a sort of steep obsolescent curve. Every problem I can think of could be solved by acquiring a Nexus 9 (2014) tablet (which might be too big for me). Returning to Jelly Bean, which is possible but laborious, would likely play havoc with some apps. We'll see what Android 5.1 is like.

Which candy, dessert or treat starts with "O"? Oreo, naturally, but I don't thin the Kit Kat tie-in worked well enough to repeat.
April 27th, 2015 at 3:45:29 PM permalink
Nareed
Long story short, with Lollipop the Nexus 7 ran about as fast as an arthritic, out-of-shape, nonagenarian with a bad hip trying to advance through molasses. I tried some fixes (too many to even list), I tried waiting for the 5.1 update (very minor improvement), and nothing worked. About the only time the tablet ran well, was when I disabled WiFi. But a tablet without WiFi is not very useful.

Last weekend I just wiped it clean with a hard reset and reinstalled most apps back. Now it runs rather well.

Oh, I tried to revive it with an older version, possibly Kit Kat 4.4.4, but doing so is rather complicated and involves additional installations on the PC. These very user friendly tablets are massively unfriendly when you go off the very simple touch interface.
Page 2 of 2<12