Did someone forget both countries speak English?

Page 1 of 212>
October 6th, 2014 at 10:14:39 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Broadchurch is an 8 episode British television crime drama created and written by Chris Chibnall, starring David Tennant and set on the Dorset coast. It centres on the death of an eleven-year-old boy, and the search for his murderer.

Gracepoint is a 10 episode American television crime drama created and written by Chris Chibnall, starring David Tennant and set on the California coast. It centers on the death of a twelve-year-old boy, and the search for his murderer.

If they used the same actor for both versions, why not the same actress? (Rhetorical question)
October 6th, 2014 at 10:20:40 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
So you're saying "8" is British for "10"? ;)

American remakes of British TV comedies were a hit at one time. Highly modified for the US audience, though. Shows like "Three's Company." I suppose crime dramas are fair game.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 6th, 2014 at 10:41:58 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I'd much prefer to have seen Olivia Coleman than Ana Gunn. I might have tried to actually watch the filming of the show in that case.

Watched the first episode last night, and spent at least 1/4 of it working out where the various filming locations where.... it's been filmed around Victoria, BC. The cliffs don't exist, as far as I know and are CGI'd in. The high street is Oak Bay, but the police station is in Sidney... about 30km away. Nick Nolte's character seems to be hanging around in Brentwood Bay, which is the other side of the peninsula from North Beach, whose location I guess at from the view from the shore line.... though it looked to be similar to the very scenic Dallas Road cliff tops (which are nothing like as high as depicted).
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 6th, 2014 at 11:53:45 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
American remakes of British TV comedies were a hit at one time.

Comedy, Reality, Talent Competition and Game Shows are remade for American audiences regularly with huge success.
But Drama is the forte of BBC. Very few times is a series remade. There are exceptions (British and American):

Science Fiction and Horror
Being Human (Br 37 episodes)(Am 52 episodes)
Life on Mars (Br 16 episodes) (Am 17 episodes)
Eleventh Hour (Br 4 episodes) (Am 18 episodes)

Social Drama:
Queer As Folk (Br 10 episodes) (Am 83 episodes)
Upstairs, Downstairs (1971-1975) remade as Beacon Hill (1975)
Footballers' Wives|Football Wives (Br 42 episodes) (Am pilot episode only)
Mistresses (Br 16 episodes) (Am 26 episodes renewed for another 13 episodes)

Crime Drama:
Prime Suspect (Br 15 episodes) (Am 13 episodes)
Touching Evil (Br 16 episodes) (Am 12 episodes)
Broadchurch |Gracepoint (Br 8 episodes) (Am 10 episodes)

------------------------
Basically, it isn't necessary to remake drama, and most of the time it doesn't work. "Queer as Folk" was notable as it was more popular in the US version than the British version.

Some people say the extremely popular US crime drama, "The Closer" was an unofficial remake of the equally popular British crime drama, "Prime Suspect". But when they tried to make a US show called "Prime Suspect" it failed.

As a non-native English speaker who is still fluent, do you prefer British or American shows when one is the remake of the other?
October 6th, 2014 at 12:08:22 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin
do you prefer British or American shows when one is the remake of the other?
I'm a native English speaker but see no reason for remakes at all. In London you dial 999 and get a Panda; in Los Angeles you dial 911 and get a Black and White. Does that mean the show has to be re-made?
October 6th, 2014 at 1:05:14 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
As a non-native English speaker who is still fluent, do you prefer British or American shows when one is the remake of the other?

I don't think I've seen any British shows ever. Not more than the odd episode or two. Sorry.
October 6th, 2014 at 1:18:39 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: TheCesspit
I'd much prefer to have seen Olivia Coleman than Ana Gunn. I might have tried to actually watch the filming of the show in that case.

Watched the first episode last night, and spent at least 1/4 of it working out where the various filming locations where.... it's been filmed around Victoria, BC. The cliffs don't exist, as far as I know and are CGI'd in. The high street is Oak Bay, but the police station is in Sidney... about 30km away. Nick Nolte's character seems to be hanging around in Brentwood Bay, which is the other side of the peninsula from North Beach, whose location I guess at from the view from the shore line.... though it looked to be similar to the very scenic Dallas Road cliff tops (which are nothing like as high as depicted).

Aha, it's Island View beach... pretty quiet spot. I suspect this show is not going to launch any tourism for the area, unlike Twilight/Twin Peaks/Northern Exposure...
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 6th, 2014 at 1:29:05 PM permalink
Nareed
BTW I think there's a British version of "Law and Order."
October 7th, 2014 at 10:29:21 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
I'm a native English speaker but see no reason for remakes at all. In London you dial 999 and get a Panda; in Los Angeles you dial 911 and get a Black and White. Does that mean the show has to be re-made?

Henry Brambell and Redd Foxx were both age 49 when they started their TV show, but they played much older men.

The Public Broadcast System goes back to 1970, but there was National Educational Television from 1952–1970. British comedy has been a big part of PBS broadcasts from inception.

Comedy is obviously different. It's not just a question of understanding the words.

But drama usually can be kept intact. David Tennant's "The Escape Artist" was fairly popular last year, but I had never heard of the "Scottish verdict" before.
October 7th, 2014 at 11:12:23 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Fleastiff
I'm a native English speaker but see no reason for remakes at all.

2 of my all time favorite TV shows growing up in the 70's were Brit shows that did very well here in the USA
The Avengers
The Prisoner.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 1 of 212>