2 votes (28.57%)
No votes (0%)
5 votes (71.42%)

7 members have voted

February 20th, 2017 at 10:10:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
BTW, I was still looking for time to experiment with the prehistoric iphone 4.

On March 21, 2016, the 5C and 5S received a direct replacement with the announcement of the iPhone SE. The iPhone 5 was officially discontinued by Apple on September 10, 2013. The iPhone 4 continued to be produced until 2013. The iPhone 4S was discontinued officially on September 9, 2014, is the last iPhone to have the original 30 pin connector.

While I still see advertisements for iPhone 5, I never see them for the iPhone 4. I am not sure what aspect of the phone is the killer in terms of specifications. It may be the connector. Many people continue to use phones that are over 6 years old.
May 11th, 2017 at 7:24:28 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
IMO one of the biggest myths in the universe is that Apple is good at design.

Yesterday I tried to help my mom replace the batteries on her Apple keyboard. It takes 2 double-A cells, inserted in a tube along the back of the keyboard. Simple enough, right? Well, first you need a screwdriver to remove the cap on the tube. Replacing batteries should not require tools. Then the batteries simply wouldn't come out. I managed to get one out by forcefully slamming the keyboard on my hand (it still hurts), but the other one wouldn't budge.

Long story short, after recruiting more people to the task, one of whom insisted on inserting an icepick along the tube for some reason, we wound up going to the Macstore to get a new one.

Now, $110 US for a tiny keyboard that doesn't even have a numeric keypad? How do those people sleep at night? Ah, but this one has a rechargeable battery and a lightning port!
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 11th, 2017 at 7:45:15 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Now, $110 US for a tiny keyboard that doesn't even have a numeric keypad? How do those people sleep at night? Ah, but this one has a rechargeable battery and a lightning port!

Are you talking about this keyboard?It is priced at $99 in USA
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLA22LL/A/magic-keyboard-us-english?fnode=56
May 11th, 2017 at 7:55:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Are you talking about this keyboard?It is priced at $99 in USA

It might be the same.

It's highway robbery at $99, too.
May 11th, 2017 at 2:20:18 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Simple enough, right? Well, first you need a screwdriver to remove the cap on the tube. Replacing batteries should not require tools.

This outs you as a foreigner. Here in the land of stupidity, everything now has screws holding in the batteries. My voltmeter, race radios, every single child's toy... it's annoying.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 11th, 2017 at 2:33:13 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
This outs you as a foreigner. Here in the land of stupidity, everything now has screws holding in the batteries. My voltmeter, race radios, every single child's toy... it's annoying.

I vaguely recall voltmeters requiring a screw driver to change the batteries (why can't they run off the electricity they're measuring??) at some school lab years ago. You'd think we'd make progress since then, yes?

Just about everything I own that uses disposable batteries (ie remotes, clocks, flashlights, etc.) are designed so the batteries can be replaced without the need for tools (tools for opening the new battery packaging is different bad design rant). But just about all of that is made elsewhere, mostly in China, and comes from a plethora of transnational companies like Sony, Samsung, Eveready, Microsoft, etc.

Hell, even the rechargeable battery on my laptop can be replaced without tools, ditto the one on my phone. But not the one on the Nexus tablet.
September 18th, 2017 at 3:24:42 PM permalink
Nareed
It's not that Apple is more hype than substance, but that it's as much hype as substance.

In the name of the Apple, the Woz and the Holy Jobs.
October 30th, 2017 at 4:03:53 AM permalink
Martin
Threads: 0
who likes iPhone X?
October 30th, 2017 at 5:12:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Martin
who likes iPhone X?

Haven't even seen it. I just got a used 6 with a cracked screen for $100. Hopefully it works on my network, otherwise I will just sell it off. I buy used. $800+ for a phone? Fugheddabaddit.
The President is a fink.
Page 3 of 3<123