No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
8 votes (80%)

10 members have voted

August 21st, 2014 at 9:25:28 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Wizard
Yes. How often do you get the chance to make history?

Regarding volunteers for dangerous adventures -- I don't think there will ever be a shortage, especially for unique limited first time type things. Even if the risk is ridiculously high.

Watch what people do for free. (people doing crazy dangerous stunts -- in which terrible and sometimes fatal accidents do happen)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 21st, 2014 at 10:16:53 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Had you asked 18 - 25 yr old Face, I would've been on the rocket before you even knew it was a question to be asked. No responsibilities, no set goals, just a desire to "find myself" and fear of nothing. Leave at 18 and be back at my age now? I see no downside.

Now, though, I've sort of chosen my path. I don't know what it is, just that I'm on it. And leaving my 5yr old and not seeing him until he's 20? Not gonna happen.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 25th, 2014 at 10:01:06 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
The only tricky thing is that the blast off window only opens once a year, and the next opening is in seven days.

The way you portray the question, it would seem the candidate is completely unqualified, has not had any training, may not be in shape, may not have any of the needed skills, has not thought the problem through, and you regard the quoted text above as the only tricky thing? :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 25th, 2014 at 12:21:04 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Quote: Nareed
The way you portray the question, it would seem the candidate is completely unqualified, has not had any training, may not be in shape, may not have any of the needed skills, has not thought the problem through, and you regard the quoted text above as the only tricky thing? :)
Suppose they need guinea pigs for something.
August 27th, 2014 at 6:56:25 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I would go. I'm assuming in saying that, they already knew I possess the skills and training needed for the open position on the Mars expeditionary crew, or my name would not have come up. (I don't, obviously, but this is hypothetical.)

As to your question, Eugene Cernan (I think) went twice but only circled in Apollo 10 (he was Commander Apollo 17 and the last man on the moon - for now, I hope, not for ever), and I think the second one is probably local hero John Young, also the first Shuttle Commander.

We're still having pretty frequent launches here, but no manned launches since Shuttle retirement. I sure hope they get going again soon.

Europa looks really great. To me, it makes the most sense to establish a permanent moon base and launch from there. Next step should be colonies at the LaGrange points. Then, anything goes.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
August 27th, 2014 at 7:19:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: beachbumbabs

We're still having pretty frequent launches here, but no manned launches since Shuttle retirement. I sure hope they get going again soon.

Fugheddabaddit. This nation has lost ambition to do big things. Shuttle has been gone for 3 years now. It took just 8 to go from never having a man in space to landing on the moon. Yet we are no closer to a new launch vehicle than the day the last Shuttle came home. Sad.
The President is a fink.
August 27th, 2014 at 11:19:32 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
What would make it worth going to Mars? (think California gold rush, although it would have to be something else)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 27th, 2014 at 12:09:13 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: rxwine
What would make it worth going to Mars? (think California gold rush, although it would have to be something else)

They would name High School's after you?
August 27th, 2014 at 1:54:02 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154

A gold water rush! They say water is the most valuable commodity in space.

Quote: the link
“Water is perhaps the most valuable resource in space,” said Eric Anderson, co-founder of Planetary Resources. “Accessing a water-rich asteroid will greatly enable the large-scale exploration of the solar system. In addition to supporting life, water will also be separated into oxygen and hydrogen for breathable air and rocket propellant.”

http://news.discovery.com/space/mining-asteroids-not-mankinds-silver-bullet-yet-120424.htm
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 27th, 2014 at 1:56:56 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
What would make it worth going to Mars?

In part what made it worth moving to the New World: getting away from the government.

But as history shows, that would only last a short while.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 2 of 2<12