Ethics - What would you do?

Page 2 of 3<123>
August 14th, 2014 at 4:02:30 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Are you sure you didn't pay or someone else paid it? If not, you almost have to think whoever did the work died or went to jail. Completely forgetting could be possible though. If you were sued, you would probably have to pay closer to their own rateS than zero for sure. People try excuses all the time on the court shows and they never work.
August 14th, 2014 at 4:08:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I would assume they were paid by the other
company and not worry about it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 14th, 2014 at 10:10:07 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Let sleeping dogs lie.
If it comes to collection agents and lawyers,,, they will lie too, but it may be too late by then.
August 15th, 2014 at 4:08:49 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Never do someone else's bookkeeping for them. If/when they ask for payment, demand they rectify the minor installation flubs first, then pay as agreed. This is really not a complicated situation.
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
August 15th, 2014 at 10:04:42 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
If they did a good job, then I would inquire about the status of the account and pay if they asked.

However, the fact that they didn't do a good job puts this in a grey area. Tough call. Personally, I would be tempted to do nothing, but I wouldn't be proud of myself for it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 15th, 2014 at 10:29:15 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
We had a regular contractor, a really good guy who did great work. When my dad moved in with us, we had Andy put handicap rails in the bathtub. It took a long time for him to get around to the job, but one day he showed up and did it and left, without leaving a bill.

For the next several years, he did work for us, and each time we reminded him to bill us for the bathtub job, and every time I saw him out and about time we spoke cordially, and I reminded him to bill us.

A couple years ago we opened the paper and saw his obituary. He never did bill us.
August 15th, 2014 at 6:43:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DRich

Here comes the interesting part: It has been over 9 months and I have not heard from them.

What would you do?

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/statutelimitations.shtml
Statute of limitations are in years (not months)

It is not clear what your question is:
What would you do-about contacting them? nothing
What would you do-if they send you a bill? politely inform them that you have been waiting for them to return to finish the work
August 16th, 2014 at 2:22:19 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Pacomartin
http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/statutelimitations.shtml
Statute of limitations are in years (not months)

It is not clear what your question is:
What would you do-about contacting them? nothing
What would you do-if they send you a bill? politely inform them that you have been waiting for them to return to finish the work

Paco said exactly what I would have, so +1. They may have realized/felt they messed it up so much they decided not to bill you and simply walked away, with the no-shows and all. The ball is in their court. I'm assuming you've checked both your credit report and the county to ensure they haven't put a mechanic's lien against your house for the unpaid bill.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
August 16th, 2014 at 4:29:14 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: beachbumbabs
a mechanic's lien against your house for the unpaid bill.

Wow, what an a-hole move that would be! Nah, that wouldnt happen, it does no good for an outfit like that. They need the money now.

Oh, it might be something they'd do if they had been billing you and you refused to pay.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 16th, 2014 at 12:58:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: beachbumbabs
mechanic's lien against your house for the unpaid bill.

Years ago I knew a hot chick who was sleeping
with a carpenter who was remodeling her house.
He moved in because she led him to believe
they would get married. When the house was
done she kicked him out and he put a lien on
her house for his services. She didn't find out
till the house was almost sold. He had no receipts
so it wouldn't have held up, but she paid him so
the sale could go through. Poor hot chick, she
thought her 'services' should have been enough
compensation. Women always over rate themselves
in that dept.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 2 of 3<123>