Babylon 5

Page 2 of 3<123>
August 15th, 2014 at 4:03:46 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Q: How many Earthers does it take to screw-in a light bulb?
A: Two. One to screw it in and one to report disloyalty to the Night Watch

Q: How many Vorlons does it take to screw-in a light bulb?
A: None. the light bulb has always been screwed-in.

Q: Why did the Vorlon cross the road?
A: If you cross the road you will die.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 20th, 2014 at 6:51:58 AM permalink
Nareed
For some reason Amazon split my order. Curiously the part that shipped alter arrived first. Alas it had only season 2. The rest of the order arrived today. Hopefully I'll have time to watch much of season 1 over the weekend.

What do you think? Will some early bits look or feel differently when watched after knowing all that will happen?
August 25th, 2014 at 6:46:08 AM permalink
Nareed
I managed, with some difficulty, to binge through the entire first season last weekend.

It's not that I'm fanatical on the show, but that the first season is really just the introduction. I wanted out get it out of the way quickly.

I did enjoy it, however. It's really quite different when you know what will happen later. For one thing you know which characters not to get invested in. Unsurprisingly, some BIG SURPRISES in the plot, and some surprising hints, lose all their power. For instance who Zathras gave his time stabilizer to near the end of "Babylon Squared." Far more surprising are things one has forgotten.

I look forward to taking it easier with the remaining 4 seasons.
August 27th, 2014 at 2:01:29 PM permalink
Nareed
managed a couple of eps in Season 2.

To begin with, there is a rather LARGE spoiler even before you even get started: Delenn appears in the graphics on the main menu. She also appears in the credits sequence.

It doesn't matter if you've already seen the show. But those viewing it for the first time will get a plot development spoiled.
August 27th, 2014 at 4:29:34 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
managed a couple of eps in Season 2.

To begin with, there is a rather LARGE spoiler even before you even get started: Delenn appears in the graphics on the main menu. She also appears in the credits sequence.

It doesn't matter if you've already seen the show. But those viewing it for the first time will get a plot development spoiled.

I really enjoyed Babylon 5, Great writing.
I have a suggestion. Science fiction anime from Japan.
Ghost in the shell - the Movie
Ghost in the shell, Stand alone complex - TV Series.
Good stuff like Babylon 5. Intelligent science fiction.
This was the inspiration for the Matrix movie.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 27th, 2014 at 5:31:05 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: terapined
I really enjoyed Babylon 5, Great writing.

Thus far we agree.

As to the rest, did you see a rather good episode of Voyager where the antagonists had a device that could erase things from history? :)
August 27th, 2014 at 7:11:19 PM permalink
terapined
Thus far we agree.

As to the rest, did you see a rather good episode of Voyager where the antagonists had a device that could erase things from history? :)

Not familiar with Voyager.
I'm actually kind of old school when it comes to Sci Fi. Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke ect.
I've recently discovered anime and manga and have watched and read alot lately.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 28th, 2014 at 6:34:04 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: terapined
Not familiar with Voyager.

That's a mixed blessing.

But that ep I mentioned was actually pretty good. the idea at the root was fantastic (both literally and figuratively).

Quote:
I'm actually kind of old school when it comes to Sci Fi. Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke ect.

Same here. I estimate I've read all of Asimov's and Clarke's fiction, and all of Heinlein's that I care to.

Quote:
I've recently discovered anime and manga and have watched and read alot lately.

I've watched a few animes (is that the term?) now and then, over years, by accident, on purpose and by recommendation. I either don't get it or, well, something. None has ever grabbed me in even the tiniest fractional portion of an amount (whatever that means).

And you mentioned the Matrix, which I hold responsible for setting back virtual-reality science fiction for a generation.

Speaking of generations, Star Trek did a much better take on such things than the Matrix in one humble episode called "Ship in a Bottle."
August 28th, 2014 at 4:22:29 PM permalink
terapined

I've watched a few animes (is that the term?) now and then, over years, by accident, on purpose and by recommendation. I either don't get it or, well, something. None has ever grabbed me in even the tiniest fractional portion of an amount (whatever that means).

And you mentioned the Matrix, which I hold responsible for setting back virtual-reality science fiction for a generation.

Speaking of generations, Star Trek did a much better take on such things than the Matrix in one humble episode called "Ship in a Bottle."

I enjoyed the 1st matrix movie. I thought it was an interesting science fiction story.
As for anime. Yea. Its goofy, weird, sexist and a little out there.
Most anime is BS.
Last year I went to an anime convention here in Tampa out of curiosity.
Now I'm really into it. Most of it is still crap but there are some real gems.
Black Lagoon - smugglers in S.E. Asia, its like watching a Quentin Tarrantino movie. Awesome violence with tons of F-bombs.
Cowboy Bebop - Bounty hunters in the future. Love it.
Hellsing - Alucard, greatest vampire ever, He totally rocks. This series blew me away.
September 1st, 2014 at 6:54:07 AM permalink
Nareed
The second season proved rather interesting in terms of my recall of the story line. I'd the notion the Techno-mages showed up much later, rather than in episode 3. I'd forgotten when and what John learned of the Rangers, too. Small details like that keep being a bit of a surprise.

I'm much looking forward to season 3.
Page 2 of 3<123>