I Quit My Job

Page 16 of 16« First<13141516
November 8th, 2015 at 12:00:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Practice will happen soon, scrap board or a few. Get the finish right. Do you put a poly over the Deft? Looks like an interim step?

Nooooo, Deft is the final finish. Look up
how to use it, it's worth it. I had a friend
who the master of Deft. He would 'sand'
in between coats with wadded up newspaper.
The result was like glass. Poly is way to shiny,
like plastic, which it basically is. Deft is
for furniture, poly is for decks and picnic
tables.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 8th, 2015 at 12:10:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Learn to make something like this
and you can retire early. Pretend
you're Amish and get twice as
much. I know a pretend Amish
guy, he cleans up. Has a beard,
wears bib overalls and straw hat.
He puts his handmade stools
and benches and chairs in his
yard with a sign and it's always
gone in a day or two.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 8th, 2015 at 12:45:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Learn to make something like this
and you can retire early. Pretend
you're Amish and get twice as
much. I know a pretend Amish
guy, he cleans up. Has a beard,
wears bib overalls and straw hat.
He puts his handmade stools
and benches and chairs in his
yard with a sign and it's always
gone in a day or two.

So, is the board under this about 6" thick? I could possibly make this!
The President is a fink.
November 8th, 2015 at 12:49:05 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
Good grief, just looked at the price on those things! And Methinks they are a good pallet project? Just true the three "backbone" boards and glue them together. We have a place here called Tech Shop with planer you can rent for a fee, so maybe pay the fee and make 10 or more tops in one day for future sale.

Any idea if the pallet top idea may be the way to go? A cursory search on them shows people using really expensive cuts to start, that can't be the best way.

I think there is a pretty large market for this niche business, now that it is brought up?

There is a demand for all shapes and sizes, from counter tops to entire counters to free standing. The ones I was first mentioning were "free standing" and are surprisingly heavy. As are barber chairs, piano's etc.

Used, free standing butcher blocks are valuable even cracked and in need of a rebuild. People that can afford them often don't realize they require maintenance. Like an unused boat, they will go bad on you, all on their own. They work better if they are used often, so do butcher blocks. I got interested in them when I was cutting a lot of meat, they are great to cut on.

I think if building one from pallets, I would search for the "dunnage" under truckers loads. They are often 4x4 or 4x4x8 or God willing 4x6x10. In each of those warped and waned timbers is a beautiful workable piece of high value wood trying to get out. Getting it out can be a bitch. Did you pick up a bandsaw? I think you need to build up the thickness or depth as quickly as possible, or at least faster then if using the little pallet tops, although those are great trim, handles etc.

I had a friend who was able to scarf up a used lane from a bowling alley. He made his counters in his house out of them. That was really cool, it even at the pin marks left in it. He also used those old wire reels, that are usually free. Look at the center wood in them. It is concave and the reels are held together with really long thin bolts threaded on each end. He made really neat looking flower planters and decorative fence rails out of that concave wood.

I got to warn you on ripping those hi-value boards out of oak dunnage. Don't breathe the red-oak dust and beware if you have any poison oak allergy's. Those pollens, or whatever is gnarly on the lungs, will hitch hike on the boards? Really best to do that part with adequate ventilation.

There is a science to building the nice blocks for sure. Moisture, and oil content, and retightening ability's. Must be somewhere in there to use dovetail grooves? Each block has room for artistic interpretation.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 9th, 2015 at 9:48:05 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Sometimes interesting to see if you are familiar with any business's closing, or laying off employees?

http://www.dailyjobcuts.com/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 16th, 2016 at 7:40:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Get away from everything. A job that comes with two free acres of land.

Quote:
an island at the eastern end of Nova Scotia in Canada. It's stunningly gorgeous territory, but it's pretty remote.

https://www.facebook.com/FarmersDaughterCountryMarket/posts/1144339918971914
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 17th, 2016 at 4:40:57 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
Get away from everything. A job that comes with two free acres of land.

https://www.facebook.com/FarmersDaughterCountryMarket/posts/1144339918971914

rich in jobs, it says. Really?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 17th, 2016 at 12:12:42 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
How many farmer's daughters does it come with?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 16 of 16« First<13141516