Another one rides the omnibus.

Page 2 of 3<123>
July 9th, 2014 at 11:14:33 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
How was I supposed to now at the time it wasn't a commonly used word?

It's not just that. Every time I say a word isn't used, or not used that way, you argue and then try to use it, like "hot dogs."

Quote:
It IS in the dictionary

Take a regular English dictionary and read a few pages at random. You'll find oodles of words that aren't used any more.

Quote:
and I'm quite sure it is in one of the books I'm reading that was translated into Spanish.

I've told you a number of times such tranlsations are tricky. Often they're "neutral" or use a Spaniard mean. Consider, too, that many books are only translated once. So even if the language was used that way when the book was translated, it may not be any longer.

One really BIG reason I quit reading Spanish tranlsations is that they sound really wrong. Dialogue can be stilted already. Add distortion through translationa dn often the results are laughable. Or downright offensive, sometimes.

Quote:
This is the trouble with learning a language when there isn't anyone to practice with.

That's why I advocate watching TV and movies from countries where the language you're learning is spoken. Books are more problematic. If you were to read such "classics" as "La Vida Inutil de Pito Pérez," for instance, you'd gain a lot of low-class, rather crass, rather crude, and very old fashioned notion of Mexican Spanish.

Just don't ask for movie recommendations. I haven't seen a movie in Spanish produced later than 1979 or so.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 9th, 2014 at 8:18:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Road Steamer and Omnibus 1871

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 9th, 2014 at 8:21:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
1952 Opel Omnibus, I want one of these.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 9th, 2014 at 8:43:46 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Why do you insist on using words and expressions that are not used, sometimes not even understood?

I don't think he is trying to use words that aren't understood. I think you are being a little acerbic.

You have to admit that is an unusual word. Following is a definition for the word in English
omnibus (plural omnibuses or omnibi)
1) An anthology of previously released material linked together by theme or author, especially in book form.
2) A broadcast program consisting of all of the episodes of a serial that have been shown in the previous week.
example: The omnibus edition of "The Archers" is broadcast every Sunday morning at 11.00.
3) A stamp issue, usually commemorative, that appears simultaneously in several countries as a joint issue.
4) A vehicle set up to carry many people (now usually called a bus).

It apparently started as a French term "voiture omnibus" meaning a "conveyance for all". It was picked up in both English and Spanish. First they dropped 'voiture" and then they dropped 'omni' so all they had was a suffix. Then sometimes they added 'auto' to make 'autobus'.

So somebody who was learning English from a dictionary or from old books might even ask "Where is the omnibus?".

That's why I advocate watching TV and movies from countries where the language you're learning is spoken.

V-me (vmetv.com) or "watch me" is associated with PBS, and it is all Spanish language shows many geared at kids. It is a subchannel to KLVX - 10.3 in Las Vegas. It is a standard definition channel, but it may be more useful than Univision if you don't get too bored. I watch it (with CC on) once in a while.
July 9th, 2014 at 8:55:31 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
How many remember that "This omnibus shall not be operated when passengers are standing forward of the white line"?

Or remember seeing the word ambulance painted on the back of tour buses in the fifties?

Spoke to an Argentinian recently who was opposed to illegals giving language lessons because he thought they would teach "Mexican" rather than teach "Spanish".
July 9th, 2014 at 9:34:13 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
1952 Opel Omnibus, I want one of these.

I can vaguely remember when my parents had an Opel station wagon. It was always breaking down as I recall.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 9th, 2014 at 10:54:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin

Here is an image of an omnibus from 1829 in London
July 9th, 2014 at 11:37:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
I can vaguely remember when my parents had an Opel station wagon. It was always breaking down as I recall.

The coolest car I ever owned was an Opel GT,
and it never broke down. It was a chick magnet
in the early 70's..

This is it exactly, even the color is right. Damn
I miss that car..

July 10th, 2014 at 7:46:58 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
I think you are being a little acerbic.

Only a little? ;P

Quote:
So somebody who was learning English from a dictionary or from old books might even ask "Where is the omnibus?".

Maybe. But look at the Spanish word thread and see how often I say this or that word is not used that way, not used at all, not used any more, not used in normal conversation, not used outside snotty pieces with show-off authors, etc. Then see how many arguments there are about it. And finally see how often Mike tries using the word or phrase anyway.

The natural assumption was the one I made.

Quote:
V-me (vmetv.com) or "watch me" is associated with PBS, and it is all Spanish language shows many geared at kids. It is a subchannel to KLVX - 10.3 in Las Vegas. It is a standard definition channel, but it may be more useful than Univision if you don't get too bored. I watch it (with CC on) once in a while.

I watched a lot of kiddie shows, bad ones, when I was learning English. I don't miss them.

The thing is I had access to unadulterated content produced in the US, regardless fo gnere or target demographic. I don't know if there is a Spanish equivalent available. Contnet produced in spanish by people living in the US for Spanish speakers living in the US is not quite the same.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 10th, 2014 at 9:57:10 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The thing is I had access to unadulterated content produced in the US, regardless of genre or target demographic. I don't know if there is a Spanish equivalent available. Content produced in spanish by people living in the US for Spanish speakers living in the US is not quite the same.

No, there is nothing like the spread of English as a second language anywhere in the world. Don't forget the UK spreading English into India and Africa. Also the adoption of English all over Europe and in much of East Asia

If you were to look at estimates of second language speakers, you would see some Asian countries trying to unify diverse populations through a common language. Bengali is a distant second to English. Indonesia has so many languages that they are trying teach one standardized version of Malay to the entire country.

Of the other European languages French and Spanish are the dominant ones to be learned as a second language, far ahead of German, Portuguese, or Italian,

Second language speakers
English 505 million
Bengali 150 million in Bangladesh and 90 million West Bengal (India)
Mandarin 178 million in China
Indonesian 140 million in Indonesia
Hindi 120 million in India
Urdu 94 million in Pakistan
French 27 million UK, Italy, Belgium, Luxembourg (2012), 2 million Morocco (1997), 0.4 million Haiti , 20% Lebanon
Spanish 15 million in Spain & France (2006–2012)
Page 2 of 3<123>