What took so long?

Page 3 of 3<123
July 28th, 2014 at 3:01:16 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Nareed
It does make me wonder what other startling discoveries have been missed for a long time.
Or what discoveries were LOST for some reason, such as:

Greek Fire's exact formula and how ships could generate and propel it so safely.

A polarized "glass" used for finding the sun on overcast days.

A use for some minerals mined in Tennesee during antiquity but of no known use.
August 1st, 2014 at 9:19:46 AM permalink
Greasyjohn
Threads: 6
I wonder why it took so long to come up with "forever stamps" and self-adhesive stamps?
August 2nd, 2014 at 5:29:42 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Greasyjohn
I wonder why it took so long to come up with "forever stamps" and self-adhesive stamps?

2 thoughts:

I bet the USPS is benefiting in the long run on the 'forever' thing as they don't have to print so many 1c etc stamps, and deal with them on the envelopes too

If you watch true crime shows as much as I do, you have to wonder how many crimes will go unsolved now with self-adhesive stamps and envelopes. A whole bunch get solved with the DNA from licking those things.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 2nd, 2014 at 10:08:34 AM permalink
Greasyjohn
Threads: 6
Quote: odiousgambit
2 thoughts:

I bet the USPS is benefiting in the long run on the 'forever' thing as they don't have to print so many 1c etc stamps, and deal with them on the envelopes too

If you watch true crime shows as much as I do, you have to wonder how many crimes will go unsolved now with self-adhesive stamps and envelopes. A whole bunch get solved with the DNA from licking those things.

We still have to lick the envelope flap on most letters though. I watch a lot of true crime shows too and the science of forensics is fascinating.
Page 3 of 3<123