If not fot this morning 100 yearsa go, what might have happened

Page 2 of 2<12
June 29th, 2014 at 6:11:29 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
What code change? Just never heard of it.

And with what boats were the Germans going to invade the British Isles? They had no landing craft worthy of the name. Operation Sealion looked good on paper, but no-one in the German military took it seriously.

They just didn't have the sea power to mount a successful invasion. Air power might have helped that, but I think the RAF had a little more fight in them, the air arms in the North still could have been moved around despite the days when there was nothing left on base in the south.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 3rd, 2014 at 12:27:17 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: boymimbo
Hmmm...

The question I have is what it would take to win England? In World War I, did Germany have the technology and wherewithall to invade England and be successful given the Eastern front and the remainder of the occupation forces required to keep everything else?

I agree with CessPit that WW1 probably happens anway.

Reading more about the Black Hand and the dual monarchy, even if Princip hadn't killed the Crown Prince, A-H would have gone in with both feet against Serbia about the bombing attempt. There was plenty of hawks who just wanted a reason to get Serbia under control, and preferably part of the Austrian empire again. Franz Ferdinand preferred a federal approach to the Balkans (which is why the Serbian nationalist -really- didn't like him, his plan would have appeased some in the area). If he survives to 1916, but the war goes ahead, I'm not sure if there's much difference, except he was probably a better statesman than his younger brother Charles I, who was the last emperor.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 3rd, 2014 at 1:37:59 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Fleastiff
Germany could not have done anything but annoy England during WWone. Commerce raiders, Uboats, and Zepplins

Saw something interesting on the Zeppelins the other day that answered some questions I always had about them. It just always seemed odd to me that the Brits had so much trouble dealing with them in WWI.

According to the program, the German airships were the state of the art thing of the day, while the airplane was in an underdeveloped stage, something rushed into development. Not everything got spelled out carefully, but...

Anti-aircraft artillery and searchlights had to be invented. The Zeppelins obtained an altitude by this time that created difficulties.

It seemed that for the British planes, obtaining altitude was an early problem. Once that was resolved, the planes found the dirigibles were still hard to shoot down. The gas bags providing lift were enormous and to hit them with machine guns just didn't do enough damage by mere leaking. The incendiary round was developed, but this surprised too: the airships could not be set on fire. It was determined that the burning bullets were penetrating the bags, but immediately penetrating too far; hydrogen in the absence of oxygen was safe. Finally it was decided to alternate incendiary with ordinary rounds. Even with this, it was proving difficult to set them ablaze. Finally a pilot took up enough ammunition to persist at a single point, which the program suggested had not been done before. An area of damage developed that was extensive enough to mix the hydrogen escaping with the outside air in a little zone, and the incendiaries could do their work finally. The ship crashing ablaze was a big hit with the public.

With this and perhaps other developments, the Zeppelin threat was finally neutralized.

I thought it was pretty interesting.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
Page 2 of 2<12