Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
It's not just one durian that's bad, it's
when you're in a durian culture and
they're everywhere under different
stages of decay. That's when it gets
bad.

Is Singapore one of these durian cultures? Somehow I never envisioned EvenBob rubbing up against durian eaters on an everyday basis.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 19th, 2014 at 12:15:07 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
My wife bought one at the Asian market here in Vegas.
So, there you have it. Now I can cross off "try a durian" from my bucket list.

First I may say congratulations. Were they refrigerated in the market or loose? Did you notice other people buying them, or were they sold by one lonely vendor. And finally, what did they cost?

Inquiring minds want to know.
July 19th, 2014 at 12:40:49 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Is Singapore one of these durian cultures? Somehow I never envisioned EvenBob rubbing up against durian eaters on an everyday basis.

I don't get around much, but I do know
about durian, I watch the food channels..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 19th, 2014 at 4:35:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin

Watching Andrew Zimmern eat all those foods, and then spit out the durian always seemed like a great challenge to me. But I would never spend $90 on a fruit that I may not be able to eat. I was wondering if they were cheaper in Vegas.
July 19th, 2014 at 6:09:00 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Pacomartin
Watching Andrew Zimmern eat all those foods, and then spit out the durian

thanks for finding the video. Amazing that Michael didn't really have a problem, although he diluted it.

Michael, you didn't really describe the taste. This guy says mushy rotten onions. What would you say?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 19th, 2014 at 6:33:58 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: odiousgambit
Michael, you didn't really describe the taste. This guy says mushy rotten onions. What would you say?

It is hard to describe the taste because I've never had anything else like it. There is definitely some sweetness to it, that tends to come from tropical fruits. If forced, I would compare the taste to a banana. The texture is kind of like yogurt, but thicker.

Like I said before, the taste is not bad, and I could probably learn to like it if I were exposed to durians more. I'd eat a durian over olives any day.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 19th, 2014 at 9:47:06 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Like I said before, the taste is not bad, and I could probably learn to like it if I were exposed to durians more. I'd eat a durian over olives any day.

Shanklish is quite a delicious Levantine dish, often eaten for breakfast with scrambled eggs. But the odor will hit you like a baseball bat. If you don't like olives, you may not like Shanklish.

Just in case you are now taking food challenges from around the world. It will be considerably easier to find in an Arabic market, and probably a lot less expensive than durian.
July 19th, 2014 at 10:25:35 PM permalink
Miles
Threads: 0
Quote: Pacomartin

Watching Andrew Zimmern eat all those foods, and then spit out the durian always seemed like a great challenge to me. But I would never spend $90 on a fruit that I may not be able to eat. I was wondering if they were cheaper in Vegas.

They're about $11 (each I am pretty sure, but could be by the pound) at the Asian grocery I shop at in Texas. I've never been able to bring myself to try it. I spent a few months in SE Asia, I can't tell you if it affects the flavor, but the Durian in Asia were very much more pungent than the ones at the grocery here.

$30 on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171383313193?lpid=82
Page 4 of 4<1234