Plausibility - Current Conspiracy Theories

Page 3 of 3<123
November 3rd, 2012 at 8:14:25 PM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10
Quote: AZDuffman

Totally false claim by Harry Reid. No source for the info, and being interested in being POTUS since at least 2006 only an idiot would hide income this way. Romney is no idiot.

You're so quick to come to Romney's aid that you're responding to the wrong claim. this prompt is about tax shelters used in/since the late '90s. 1999 was significantly before 2006.
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
November 7th, 2012 at 11:34:22 AM permalink
Dfens
Threads: 1
Thanks again for all the replies! The one interesting thing about WoV/DT is the spectrum of views that are represented and getting feedback from all points of view.

Mission - Not many people figure out my name is from the movie Falling Down. Typically, most people think it relates to me being in the military (now reservist) and others think it relates to what I played in college.
November 7th, 2012 at 2:35:56 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dfens
Mission - Not many people figure out my name is from the movie Falling Down.

It's a rather forgetable movie. All I recall is Michael Douglas pays for a soda after trashing the store, and later he kills a neo Nazi jerk.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 8th, 2012 at 3:16:51 PM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Threads: 0
Quote: Nareed
It's a rather forgetable movie. All I recall is Michael Douglas pays for a soda after trashing the store, and later he kills a neo Nazi jerk.

I thought it was an ok movie, the problem I think it had is that it had (IMO) an unpopular message, or commentary about our society/culture. However, unpopular and unlikely are two different things and I wouldn't be surprised to see more people that feel disenfranchised going the psycho route. In fact, I think we're already beginning to see it with the stuff like the recent theater shooter and the school shootings. When people feel powerless and pushed against a wall something's got to give. Unfortunately, it too often seems to be their mind that snaps.

This is the sort of thing I was referring to in another thread where I talked about the country becoming more divided and extreme. While it may seem laughable that angry white males have anything to be angry about, the damage they can do is still very real. It's for this reason, not appease them or any other group, that I'd like to see more people coming together to find common ground than divisiveness that seems to be ever more prevalent.
World's most discriminating Kool-Aid connoisseur
November 12th, 2012 at 2:26:16 PM permalink
Dfens
Threads: 1
Nareed - You're right. "Dfens" was from the license plate from Bill Foster's car (played by Michael Douglas) in Falling Down. My only other name option would be "Assman" from Kramer's license plate on Seinfeld. http://youtu.be/H_S8qRUsm7E (really funny 20 sec clip when Kramer gets his plates)

Falling down is a mediocre movie. The main character (Foster) is likeable in the beginning, but at the end you find out he is a bad guy. Foster is disgusted (and ends up murdering) by a Nazi freak who is proud of owning a canister of zyklon B that was used in the holocaust. The irony is that Foster himself is prejudice and murderer as he commits both numerous times in the movie. You see Foster having little patience for the little inconveniences in life (traffic, not getting breakfast after 10am, liquor stores pricing sodas 10 cents more than they should, etc... ) and cheer him when he goes insane to protest these everyday issues. But later you find out that his temper is out of control to the point where his mother almost feels like a hostage in her home and he emotionally abused his wife (and possibly child) for years.

And I'm skipping the over-the-top stereotyping rampant throughout the movie!
November 13th, 2012 at 6:59:54 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dfens
Falling down is a mediocre movie. The main character (Foster) is likeable in the beginning, but at the end you find out he is a bad guy.

I wouldn't call him likeable. Rather he acts out violent impulses we've all had, so we cheer him or appreciate him for it. But there's a good reason why people don't engage in violence over routine, everyday annoyances, and why it is so bad when they do. We call people who get violent over minor things psycopaths.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 3 of 3<123