England & Free Speech

November 1st, 2012 at 3:39:36 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Apparently the law in England now makes it criminal to use speech that is "insulting"
A website has been started to reform this law Free Speech

The law states as follows:

Quote:
5 Harassment, alarm or distress

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he–

(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.

(2) An offence under this section may be committed in a public or a private place, except that no offence is committed where the words or behaviour are used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation is displayed, by a person inside a dwelling and the other person is also inside that or another dwelling.

(3) It is a defence for the accused to prove–

(a) that he had no reason to believe that there was any person within hearing or sight who was likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress, or

(b) that he was inside a dwelling and had no reason to believe that the words or behaviour used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation displayed, would be heard or seen by a person outside that or any other dwelling, or

(c) that his conduct was reasonable.

(4) … [REPEALED]

(5) … [REPEALED]

(6) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.’
November 1st, 2012 at 5:06:07 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I believe that many nations have chosen to elevate political correctness and racial harmony above freedom of speech. Even using the term "Irish Travelers" is an offense now. And singing the song "The famine is over, why don't they go home" is speech inciteful of ethnic disharmony, at least if done near a Catholic church. Dancing The Bouncy on a train is an arrestable offense.
November 2nd, 2012 at 10:56:27 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Police powers have been slowly increasing in the UK, mostly as the Chief Constables keep telling the PM what has to be done, without a ear on the other side pointing out that the job of Parliament isn't necessarily to make it easy for the Police to arrest people that bother them. See, for example, multiple arrests for taking photos (under prevention of Terrorism acts) as one example.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 2nd, 2012 at 11:30:20 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: TheCesspit
See, for example, multiple arrests for taking photos

Its the Nanny state mentality that says people are
incapable of thinking for themselves so we have
to do it for them. You can't say those words or
take those pictures or own that gun or do anything
we decide you can't do. And of course the sheeple
go along with it, cradle to grave, don't make a fuss.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 2nd, 2012 at 12:49:39 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
Dancing The Bouncy on a train is an arrestable offense.

You will have to explain that reference for the cousins.

I suppose we should outlaw the Battle Hymn of Lt. Calley.
November 2nd, 2012 at 1:06:00 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Have to explain it to me as well...
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 2nd, 2012 at 4:21:05 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: TheCesspit
Have to explain it to me as well...

Ain't too sure what I'm supposed to be 'splaining but here goes:

"If you can nae dance the Bouncy you're a Tim" is the Glasgow Ranger's song meaning if you can't dance in place (similar to an American Seventh Inning Stretch) you're an Irishman. (Billy is the generic Glaswegian Protestant who grows up to be a Rangers fan; Timothy is the generic Irish Catholic lad who grows up to root for the Celtics).

Fans were warned that dancing the bouncy on public transportation on the day of the Rangers-Celtic match was an arrestable offense.

The Famine Song is sung to the tune of The Sloop John B and is a "Go Back Where You Came From" type song telling the Irish to go home because their famine is over and they allowed German U-boats to refuel in neutral Irish ports.

Lieutenant Calley was famous for a Mi Lia massacre in Vietnam.
November 2nd, 2012 at 4:36:10 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Ah... I know the Bouncing songs, which for my team goes:

"If yer don't FKN bounce then you're a blade" (The Blades are Sheffield United) - or variants of. Normal sung after a goal or just to get everyone going... 2,000 bouncing fans in the away end is a wonderful thing.

I didn't quite get what you meant from the description (thinking it was the "Dancing the Bouncey on the Train" as a song title :).

There's a long history of sectarian/football violence in Glasgow. The Football Rivalry in Sheffield is more class/area based... the Wednesday being more middle class (shopkeepers) than the United (steel workers and miners)... but that's a generalization more than anything else. I did sing that and other songs on the way home from Wednesday's promotion match back in the mid 2000's. No-one arrested me, and good times were had.

"Never felt more like singing the Blues, when Wednesday win and United lose, OHHHH Wednesday... you got me singing the blues!"

"The sky is blue, the clouds are white, that's cos God's, a Wednesdayite!".