Ponponpon

June 5th, 2014 at 12:58:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

If you ever get the feeling that American pop culture can't get any more obscure, it helps to check out the other side of the globe once in a while.
June 5th, 2014 at 3:58:05 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I hope you get paid for watching stuff like that.
June 5th, 2014 at 5:38:16 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Wow, that was a hoot! I enjoyed it so much I found a few more of her vids on YouTube...all equally as bizarre. It's creative fer sure! My hat's off to you Paco, for bringing these to the board, like the Alizée video a few years ago. Keep up the good work.
June 5th, 2014 at 6:07:16 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: zippyboy
Keep up the good work.

In case you thought they still speak Received Pronunciation in London (they still do in some the richest areas) but now there is this polyglot that part Indian, Sri Lankan, Nigerian, Jamaican, and Pakistani. They are not even sure what to call it. Sometimes Jafaican, sometimes pidgin. Linguists call it MLE (multicultural London English).

June 5th, 2014 at 6:09:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I believe if the crew of the Enola Gay was feeling at all regretful, that is the kind of video that would inspire them to carry out their mission.

Holy moly. All those colors clashing together was enough for a migraine.

The music. The voice. The inanity.

Is that a torture video?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 5th, 2014 at 7:01:05 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: rxwine
Is that a torture video?

I think your responding a little strong to an 18 year old girl. The American pop star that adopts the closest thing to the Japanese style is Katy Perry.

(かわいい is the "cute" factor in Japanese culture. Little baby doll eyes, cartoon everything. Copy and paste the Japanese and you'll get thousands of images of little doe eyed girls

June 5th, 2014 at 7:22:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Pacomartin
I think your responding a little strong to an 18 year old girl.

Sorry, Paco. Not for me.

I'd rather watch a guy win a sword fight with just a feather duster. (or just about anything else)

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 5th, 2014 at 7:27:57 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I went through a MIA phase back in 2007 or so after I heard "10 dollar" for the first time. Every song was fantasticly different from all else out at the time I thought. Then she married, got pregnant and quit the biz at the top of her game. Now she's back, but at a fraction of what she once was. So much promise, I guess she was overwhelmed.

The ponponpon vid did remind me of Katy Perry a bit.

Interesting that these foreign songs could have a real following here in USA if they had english lyrics. They're catchy tunes. Think of Gangnam Style.
June 5th, 2014 at 7:43:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: zippyboy
Then she married, got pregnant and quit the biz at the top of her game.

She got pregnant, then she got engaged. They had the baby, but never married. He is from billionaire Bronfman family fortune.

Theoretically songs are songs and they shouldn't really need English lyrics. But no songwriter manages to become a star here unless most of their songs are in English. They can go back to their native language once established.

For all the old guys, what is the only song in Japanese to be a huge hit in America? It's over 50 years old.