A peaceful Memorial Day to you!

Page 1 of 212>
May 26th, 2014 at 7:25:57 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I saw a neat Billboard today saying:

Land for the Free, because it's the home of the Brave. Happy Memorial Day!

I also had a parishioner today tell me I should not say Happy Memorial Day, because it is like saying Happy Funeral. He said the day was too somber for "Happy". What do you think?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 26th, 2014 at 7:43:19 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: FrGamble

I also had a parishioner today tell me I should not say Happy Memorial Day, because it is like saying Happy Funeral. He said the day was too somber for "Happy". What do you think?

I think to each his own on that. I would say follow the rules for displaying the flag. You are supposed to keep the flag at half-staff until noon then raise it to full staff after. Similar to a funeral, you ring the toller when it starts but all the bells in celebration after.
The President is a fink.
May 26th, 2014 at 9:12:23 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

It is rather odd to say "happy" when remembering those killed in combat or other service.

In Israel there's a holiday called something like "Day of Rememberance," which is to remember those killed in armed service. The day is somber, with nationwide moments of silence, flags flown at half-staff and prayer services all over. The next day is "Independence Day," and that is celebrated as a happy occasion, with the flag raised all the way up, music, parties, fireworks, etc.

The purpose of holidays tends to slip the minds of most people unless they're reminded of it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 26th, 2014 at 9:49:19 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18

I'd probably agree (although I wouldn't jump all over someone for saying "Happy Memorial Day"). For example, when the anniversary of the Kennedy assassination is remembered, nobody ever says "Happy anniversary".
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
May 26th, 2014 at 11:05:20 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

People usually reserve the "Happy" greetings to Veteran's Day.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 27th, 2014 at 4:17:43 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Actually various rules apply.

As to the flag... it is raised briskly to the peak and then lowered ceremoniously to half staff and when lowered at nighttime it is again raised briskly to the peak before being ceremoniously lowered.

Now a day that is celebrated with rifles, canon, uniforms, marching is also a day celebrated with backyard barbques and family members and hungry children being fed. So you describe what sort of day it is to you.

Freedom is initially purchased with blood and maintained with a readiness to risk blood.

Do we remember the soldiers who fell in combat or those that came back home? Do we remember the sacrifice? Consider that football player who turned down an NFL contract to enter into a contract with the US Army to fight in a no-win, no goals, no exit war to make the Middle East safer for Israel after Israel recruited Islamic Terrorist Patsies to attack the World Trade Center. Does Memorial Day celebrate his actions as heroic or traitorous? Do we celebrate any differently because he was the victim of premeditated murder by a member of his own company? Do we celebrate any differently because the details of the murder were subject to an elaborate cover up by officers who demonstrated a lack of back bone and clearly betrayed all those who spend Memorial day carrying flags or grilling hot dogs?
May 27th, 2014 at 6:52:03 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Officially commemorates all those who died while in service of the United States armed forces. No parsing of result-of-battle, friendly fire or peacetime deaths is necessary. As Flea rightly points out, it is a recognition that those who serve essentially issue a blank check to Uncle Sam, cashable for any amount up to and including one's life. That's what it takes to gain and ensure freedom.

Originally the holiday was Decoration Day established after the Civil War to honor and remember only those killed as the result of hostile action but ultimately morphed to include all.

It is a bit confusing though. In fact I received "thanks" from two friends this weekend despite my pleas that I am still noticeably alive... :-)
Veterans in general are recognized on Veterans Day in November (originally Armistice Day). So they get to thank me twice this year for securing the freedom they cherish. But no thanks are necessary, again as Flea points out we must be ready to sacrifice for freedom or kiss it goodbye. Or get the hell out - freedom is not "free."
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
May 27th, 2014 at 7:17:24 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: chickenman

It is a bit confusing though. In fact I received "thanks" from two friends this weekend despite my pleas that I am still noticeably alive... :-)
Veterans in general are recognized on Veterans Day in November (originally Armistice Day). So they get to thank me twice this year for securing the freedom they cherish. But no thanks are necessary, again as Flea points out we must be ready to sacrifice for freedom or kiss it goodbye. Or get the hell out - freedom is not "free."

I'll give you thanks now instead of waiting until you are dead. Because the bad part is we have good folks who do sacrifice for our freedom while too many in our society piss it away, preferring to live as serfs with the government as lord, "taking care of them" in return for losing their freedom in 1,000 little ways.
The President is a fink.
May 27th, 2014 at 7:25:03 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Enjoy your Freedom AZD.

You point out a disturbing little fact about the freedom, so dearly won, given away. Shameful.
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
May 27th, 2014 at 7:39:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: chickenman
Enjoy your Freedom AZD.

You point out a disturbing little fact about the freedom, so dearly won, given away. Shameful.

I swear to God this just came to me reading what you said.

"Freedom is like craps, hard to build winnings but easy to lose it all fast."

Not on the lines of GMLOGMD but the Founding Fathers weren't trying to run mineral title while they fought the Revolution.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 212>