Product Placement

Page 2 of 2<12
May 6th, 2014 at 8:15:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: boymimbo

So when Doritos gets their ad on Survivor and Travelocity gets onto the Amazing Race and Mountain Dew makes it onto Big Bag, I think that, from a advertising standpoint, that it's a good investment. See I remember the advertisers, and I'm likely to use their products, whereas I have no idea what was broadcast during the commercials.

It is a good idea but has to be handled with care. If it looks too obvious the audience will remember how it insulted their intelligence. Remember "Major League" and how you saw an AMEX commercial but didn't care because it fit the humor of the plot? That was clever. But as we saw in "Wayne's World" when they spoofed it, the consumer knows.
The President is a fink.
May 6th, 2014 at 9:21:56 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0

It's also why the networks put up the annoying popups at the bottom of the screen during shows too... they know people don't watch commercials.
An increasing peeve of mine, and not just networks but NatGeo, Discover etc. Drives me nuts and I have reduced my viewing accordingly.
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
May 6th, 2014 at 11:23:27 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I'll even watch a Baseball game with a 40 minute delay, as I know that there are at least 16 90 second breaks and four-five 2 minute pitching changes.

In the old days of Video Tape you used to have to time delay a game until after it was completed. Since that was often too late to stay up, you would try and watch it the next day without anyone telling you the outcome.

Now with DVR's you can time delay just enough so you can finish in about real time, and skip commercials. As multi terabyte drives are becoming affordable there is little concern about running out of space for a normal human being in a week.

1 Terabyte records about 260 hours of High Definition or 875 hours of standard definition
Page 2 of 2<12