In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

August 28th, 2019 at 11:53:58 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: reno
Wait, am I the only one here who shops at Walmart?

Groceries are a separate category. But manufactured goods-- clothing, shoes, toys, housewares, kitchen wares, bedding, electronics. Most of that stuff at Walmart is from China.

Groceries are sold at WMT, separate category or not. If not for groceries, WMT might be in trouble.
The President is a fink.
August 28th, 2019 at 12:13:28 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: reno
Does 50% sound too high or too low?

That's interesting, and there are a few ways to evaluate it.

One would be to count the number of products and where they came from.

Another, one that I find more meaningful, is to count the sales in dollars by where the product came from.

Here's one article I found, and they are talking about purchases in dollars.

http://www.americanmanufacturing.org/press-releases/entry/fact-sheet-wal-marts-made-in-america-pledge

It claims that in 2016 80% of walmart's suppliers were located in china.

The last paragraph talks about their goal of purchasing $250 Billion in American-made goods from the US by 2023. That's in total, not per year.

That with a sales projection means that Walmart will spend 3.2% on purchasing American-made goods. Subtract that from 100 for how much they spend on goods that aren't American-made.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 28th, 2019 at 12:24:24 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Dalex64
That's interesting, and there are a few ways to evaluate it.

One would be to count the number of products and where they came from.

Another, one that I find more meaningful, is to count the sales in dollars by where the product came from.

Here's one article I found, and they are talking about purchases in dollars.

http://www.americanmanufacturing.org/press-releases/entry/fact-sheet-wal-marts-made-in-america-pledge

It claims that in 2016 80% of walmart's suppliers were located in china.

The last paragraph talks about their goal of purchasing $250 Billion in American-made goods from the US by 2023. That's in total, not per year.

That with a sales projection means that Walmart will spend 3.2% on purchasing American-made goods. Subtract that from 100 for how much they spend on goods that aren't American-made.

Wow, I am shocked it is that high.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 28th, 2019 at 12:35:06 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Has anyone heard from the Wizard today? We may have to bail him out.

Las Vegas Review Journal headline: "Las Vegas police arrest rock-throwing naked man in Summerlin"
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 28th, 2019 at 12:39:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
Has anyone heard from the Wizard today? We may have to bail him out.

Las Vegas Review Journal headline: "Las Vegas police arrest rock-throwing naked man in Summerlin"

He wasn't throwing them from a
unicycle, so it probably wasn't Mike.
He's usually naked but refrains
from rock throwing.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 28th, 2019 at 2:15:55 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
The whole thing is ridiculous. You
can't talk a recession into being
any more than you can talk your
way out of one.
Perception management is big business. https://thegrayzone.com/2018/05/23/scl-group-yemen-surveillance-cambridge-analytica/

The recession of 08 has never ended. We've restarted QE4 .

Forcing home prices up by printing money into the economy isn't growth, it's debt.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 28th, 2019 at 2:59:32 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph
Perception management is big business. https://thegrayzone.com/2018/05/23/scl-group-yemen-surveillance-cambridge-analytica/

The recession of 08 has never ended. We've restarted QE4 .

Forcing home prices up by printing money into the economy isn't growth, it's debt.

STRATFOR had a take on this happening though they predicted the 2020s. You run a long term cycle eventually none of the old stuff works. A new paradigm has to emerge. Supply side replaced Keynesian which was needed as the depression ended the boom of building the nation which replaced the cotton economy and so forth. Even in the boom we currently have people have too much debt. It’s not the recession of 2008 that never ended but the 2000 recession never ended in many ways.
The President is a fink.
August 28th, 2019 at 5:40:35 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-08/nocu-asa082019.php Off of the Isle of Wight, marine archeologists discover an 8 thousand year old boat building site.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 29th, 2019 at 8:04:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
[delete-already a thread]
The President is a fink.
September 1st, 2019 at 4:37:32 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
May those souls in the path of Hurricane Dorian have good variance and though I don't do praying, I wish them well.

Shout out to our members geographically close to the path of the storm. Stay safe and please report in after the danger has passed you by.