In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

March 30th, 2018 at 11:55:09 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Roseanne has been renewed for another season (technically season 11). It will be 13 episodes. This current season is only 9 episodes, 2 of which aired on Tuesday.

Donald Trump's presidency is low on accomplishments, so I wouldn't be surprised if he takes credit for this.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 30th, 2018 at 12:27:20 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: ams288
Donald Trump's presidency is low on accomplishments, so I wouldn't be surprised if he takes credit for this.
Six to Five on a cameo appearance.
March 30th, 2018 at 1:06:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Russia tests a nuclear armed missile nicknamed "Satan 2" said to be able to fly around the world, and destroy a target as big as Texas.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/03/30/satan-2-nuclear-missile-again-test-launched-by-russia-as-putin-brags-invulnerable-arsenal.html
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 30th, 2018 at 1:16:58 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Anyone in the Politburo suing Putin? Russian press hounding Putin?
March 30th, 2018 at 2:44:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/in-the-battle-for-the-american-west-the-cowboys-are-losing/ar-AAvhZs1?ocid=spartanntp

Quote:
In the Battle for the American West, the Cowboys Are Losing

In the latest land war for the American West, the cowboys are losing.
Ranchers who rely on public land to raise their cattle say they have shrinking access to wide open spaces, grass and water because of an array of regulations.

Over the last four decades, the number of cows grazing on public lands has dropped by nearly half.
In some cases, government officials curb grazing to protect natural resources from damage caused by cattle, and create preserves for threatened species. In others, officials close land to ranchers to give more access to the public for hiking and other activities which fuel the fast-growing recreation industry.

On this last part I have no issue sharing public space with cows, or most livestock. Not sure why it has to be one or other.

I stayed in a cabin one weekend with Long Horn cattle all around. Sure, they might run you through, but that's the deal.

You don't go into a public park expecting to be completely safe from bears or bison.

I suppose it could be the motor sport enthusiasts, but don't see why they need a special case. Half are driving like bad asses on their machinery, if a few get messed up, that's the deal.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 30th, 2018 at 2:50:56 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine

On this last part I have no issue sharing public space with cows, or most livestock. Not sure why it has to be one or other.

Seems to me to be the typical Yuppie thing. They get "out in the country" then don't like the way is is there. Same types build a new house and then complain to the town about the guy who has been gardening and raising chickens in his backyard without issue because they can't stand looking at the sight.

Kind of folk who think steak comes from the grocery store.
The President is a fink.
March 30th, 2018 at 2:59:33 PM permalink
Fleastiff
The handicapped want paved trails and handholds.
The Rednecks want to drive in a stream instead of across it.
The Ranchers do not want to go to a feed lot operation if they can sponge off open range land instead despite disputes about over grazing and water pollution.

Ranchers don't seem to have much in the way of lobbyists.
March 30th, 2018 at 3:20:03 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
I don't mind cows. I also don't mind wild horses or burro's that are now protected. What I mind is here in the desert, feed and water is scarce and those hooved animals are amazingly destructive. Horses want 2O or more gallons of water per day, whether or not they find it. There are thousands of all them combined, and tons of cattle.

"The American west is being overrun by wild horses - The Week
theweek.com/articles/460722/american-west-being-overrun-by-wild-horses
Aug 26, 2013 - America has way, way too many horses, according to a new study published in Science, and it could cost U.S. taxpayers $1.1 billion over the next 17 years. There are about 33,000 wild horses running free in the United States. Descended from animals brought over by the Spanish in the 1500s, they roam ..."...apparently 33,000 wild horses or so x 20 gallons per day. Then burrows, appx. 11,000 of them. And lots of cows.

The grass that is scarce is taken by the largest animals first. So is the water, they dominate it. The horses and burros and cattle are walking almost constantly searching for feed and water, trampling every wild thing in the desert. They destroy habitat for multiple species of deer, elk, fox, Rocky mountain sheep, javelina, wolves, and destroy the native habitat that little creatures depend on that are survival food for raptors. The hooved animals are always hanging out around natural run off and their pooh all runs down stream. There should be open season on wild horses and the hunters should be able to market hunt them, to sell the meat.

Five states down here are in perpetual battle for water, right now Mojave county is fighting to stop venture capitalists from buying up cheap farmland for the water rights, which the aquifer doesn't have to give. I have nothing against ranchers, but the gov has been picking favorites for a long time. I like wildlife viewing, I know what cows look like.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 30th, 2018 at 3:37:55 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: petroglyph
I don't mind cows. I also don't mind wild horses or burro's that are now protected. What I mind is here in the desert, feed and water is scarce and those hooved animals are amazingly destructive. Horses want 2O or more gallons of water per day, whether or not they find it. There are thousands of all them combined, and tons of cattle.

"The American west is being overrun by wild horses - The Week
theweek.com/articles/460722/american-west-being-overrun-by-wild-horses
Aug 26, 2013 - America has way, way too many horses, according to a new study published in Science, and it could cost U.S. taxpayers $1.1 billion over the next 17 years. There are about 33,000 wild horses running free in the United States. Descended from animals brought over by the Spanish in the 1500s, they roam ..."...apparently 33,000 wild horses or so x 20 gallons per day. Then burrows, appx. 11,000 of them. And lots of cows.

The grass that is scarce is taken by the largest animals first. So is the water, they dominate it. The horses and burros and cattle are walking almost constantly searching for feed and water, trampling every wild thing in the desert. They destroy habitat for multiple species of deer, elk, fox, Rocky mountain sheep, javelina, wolves, and destroy the native habitat that little creatures depend on that are survival food for raptors. The hooved animals are always hanging out around natural run off and their pooh all runs down stream. There should be open season on wild horses and the hunters should be able to market hunt them, to sell the meat.

Five states down here are in perpetual battle for water, right now Mojave county is fighting to stop venture capitalists from buying up cheap farmland for the water rights, which the aquifer doesn't have to give. I have nothing against ranchers, but the gov has been picking favorites for a long time. I like wildlife viewing, I know what cows look like.

There were a lot more bison running around then the large mammal population we have now. Why didn't the land get destroyed by them if large mammals are so destructive?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 30th, 2018 at 3:39:18 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: kenarman
There were a lot more bison running around then the large mammal population we have now. Why didn't the land get destroyed by them if large mammals are so destructive?
The Bison were mostly in the plains where there was lots of grasslands, I'm talking the desert southwest.

added: The cattle ranchers in the mid west and the sheep ranchers had wars, because when the sheep ate the grass down to the nubs, cattle couldn't graze there for a long time.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW