In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

September 22nd, 2017 at 6:35:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I hope Republican plans insist women have to carry the bulk of reproductive coverage, because I don't think women as a voting block will be stupid enough to support such an idea.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 22nd, 2017 at 6:39:01 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Splitting hairs about the different slices of the pie is senseless, its the system that is at fault no matter which lobbyist or speech writer gets lucky.
September 22nd, 2017 at 6:39:01 PM permalink
Fleastiff
The essence of "insurance" is that its similar to a cult, new members fund the lifestyle of earlier members. New memberships dry up if coverage and hurdles become unpopular. Unpopular provisions abound in a lobbyist frenzy. That is what lawyers and lobbyists thrive on.
September 22nd, 2017 at 7:28:53 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
She won because she was incumbent. Before she got his seat, nobody knew who she was. Nepotism at it's max.

Yea but that write in win
Nobody thought she could pull it off
Even those in Alaska thought it was a huge long shot
It just doesn't happen in a statewide election
unless
The people really really want you back
I think even she was shocked it worked
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 22nd, 2017 at 7:44:40 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
Yea but that write in win
Nobody thought she could pull it off
Even those in Alaska thought it was a huge long shot
It just doesn't happen in a statewide election
unless
The people really really want you back
I think even she was shocked it worked
It was because of who they "didn't" want. Most of the residents of the state live in Anchorage or Fairbanks. She lost the Republican candidacy to Joe Green a tea party candidate. Alaska is nearly rabid against Democrats so they weren't going to let Scott McCadams win, who was a pretty exciting candidate. She won that election by default. She won the first election she won because of Nepotism and the power that long terms in Congress bring to a state, that is desperate for federal money.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 23rd, 2017 at 12:17:16 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
I reckon petro's got some friends up north that pay mad road tax on fuel that's burned... in the ocean.
Mine were more the kind to run diesel pickups and put heating oil in the fuel tanks.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 23rd, 2017 at 3:26:42 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Two liter bottles of Seven-Up are laced with methamphetamine in Mexican state of Baja. Arizona and Texas on high alert.
September 23rd, 2017 at 4:46:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
Isn't this how... well, everything works?

It's a serious question. I have a kid consuming public education. You pay for that. I've a bulls#$% med bill I'm still refusing to pay. I'm told we all pay for that. I reckon petro's got some friends up north that pay mad road tax on fuel that's burned... in the ocean. And you just know terapined leaves his shopping carts in the lot, which results in higher costs to employ a cart retriever. Hell, all you non-smoking folks are bleeding me dry, as I prop up your world with my thousands per year donated to the Machine's coffers. How is insurance different in this respect?

Insurance is different in this case in that you and I have no choice. You can go to Aldi and not pay to have shopping carts shagged. Nobody has to smoke, and to minimize the cigarette taxes some can go on the Res and pay less tax or get the Tribal private label and not even pay for the Master Settlement Agreement, itself a sad government shakedown the mafia would be proud of. You can even choose not to insure your paid for car if you like.

In Obamacare, you have zero choice. A guy can never use maternity coverage, he has to pay. I would never buy rehabilitation insurance, yet I must pay. Women who have no desire for kids have to buy the same maternity coverage.

There is the cry of, "but it is not fair that women have to pay more!" Well, men pay more for car insurance. In the work world, women take more time off than men. Many bars have free or reduced price ladies nights. Men take what, 9Xs the prison sentences that women do?

If the shoe were on the other foot, women having to buy a coverage only men needed, liberals in general and liberal women's groups would SCREAM. It would be deafening.

It has been brought up the idea of school taxes and if you have no kids that is unfair. Well, I would support the idea of "school free townships." Say a group wanted to say, "we are not going to have public schools in this town/village/boro/whatever." A small group of single men, old folks, home schoolers, and people sending kids to private school. Why not this choice? Their property value might be higher or lower, depending on demand for good schools vs lower taxes.

You might get an interesting mix of people there!
The President is a fink.
September 23rd, 2017 at 4:57:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
I did pot almost every day for over
a year and came to realize it's where
the bottom feeders dwell. The under
achievers who need to turn their
brains off to survive. It's why successful
authors can be drinkers but never pot
heads. Alcohol stimulates creativity,
pot kills it.

Last night, I swear it was as if the guy was reading this thread! Guy I deal with, a genuine piece of work, mentioned how he stopped smoking pot the last month. He said he has never made such a good decision and could not believe how it just made his life revolve around getting home to get high. Now he accomplishes so much more.
The President is a fink.
September 23rd, 2017 at 9:55:00 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
Screw that. I can never use it so why should I have to buy it?

Makes no sense.

Do women have to pay for prostrate coverage? If they did they would be screaming and rightly so!

Of course women pay for prostate coverage! If you look at what is and isn't covered, prostate surgeries are always covered. So just as men subsidize maternal type events, women subsidize men only type operations.