In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 20th, 2017 at 2:57:56 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
He isn't fully responsible for anything. But he should have some sway about where those fighters are built. As I said the R&D was paid for by, well, me and you. I don't want them giving that tech to anyone. Trump has bloviated about manufacturing staying in the US. It couldn't be any more high tech or in our interest to keep that level of sophisticated manufacturing "in house".

Again, it is sadly accepted practice. What we do not know is how much manufacturing will be done there. Hopefully the avionics will still be made here with no technology transfer. That is the real key. That also lets us potentially put a deep friend-or-foe subroutine in the things. I really wonder if we actually do that. IIRC we did not have that in Iran, but we made their planes useless after the Shah scooted.
The President is a fink.
June 20th, 2017 at 3:03:41 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Nareed beat me to it.

The F-16 is still solid by today's measures (speaking in terms of effectiveness, not maintenance / condition), but I'd reckon today's go-to is the F/18. The F/16 just happens to be cheaper, more plentiful, etc and so forth.

Of course, this is said without much knowledge of wtf they're doing with the stealth stuff. Anything F-22 and above I take as I do the Big 4's concept cars.

I think if you looked, it'd be quite difficult to find a country that isn't the UK that doesn't have a wad of F/16's in their arsenal. I bet even Argentina has a handful. They really are everywhere.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 20th, 2017 at 3:38:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Face

I think if you looked, it'd be quite difficult to find a country that isn't the UK that doesn't have a wad of F/16's in their arsenal. I bet even Argentina has a handful. They really are everywhere.

The Chevy Cavalier of fighters?
The President is a fink.
June 20th, 2017 at 3:41:42 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman

The Chevy Cavalier of fighters?

I swear on every bit of my honor that I almost posted that exact comparison.

Get out of my head ;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 20th, 2017 at 3:46:08 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The F-16 is still solid by today's measures (speaking in terms of effectiveness, not maintenance / condition),

Especially against enemies without fighters or even missile-based defenses.

Quote:

The UK has always preferred its own combat aircraft, or those built in partnership with others. Like the Harrier and the Tornado.

The US historically does not sell advanced weapons to Latin America. The F-16 was the exception, but not many were sold and not many countries bought them. Mexico's top of the line fighter is the F-5! I doubt any has as much as fired a bullet in anger.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 20th, 2017 at 3:48:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I swear on every bit of my honor that I almost posted that exact comparison.

Get out of my head ;)

See, I actually posted that because some part of me thought you missed it. Sometimes I swear we might as well have grown up in the same town.
The President is a fink.
June 20th, 2017 at 4:15:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
There's been more earthquakes at the Yellow Stone super volcano than in the last 5 years. Last eruption was 72,000 years ago.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 20th, 2017 at 4:28:37 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
In the shade on my patio, 4;30 p.m., it is 118*
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 20th, 2017 at 7:28:46 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Remember that tee shirt:
Two skeletons each on patio furniture and the tag line is 'yes, but its a dry heat'.
June 21st, 2017 at 3:26:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
6 inmates credited with saving the life of a deputy who passed out

Even in low security this would be amazing.
The President is a fink.