In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

December 24th, 2021 at 6:14:50 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: RonC
This is why I don't respond to your "what do you want him to do" posts about Biden. You go along merrily like nothing is wrong just because you have yet to be (and hopefully will remain) a victim of increases in crime brought on by a myriad of causes--including the "Defund the Police" and "BLM" movements. Those two segments of our society have some decent points (fighting for mental health help for deranged people and stopping people of color from being treated differently from others, for example) yet they push it too far and want the police to be regulated into uselessness.

In simpler terms than that example, if I did respond to those comments with what I thought the President should do, you would just ignore it anyway.

It is stupid to defund the police. Anyone who supports that is a moron. Instead, fund the police, challenge the training norms to help with the issues, and add mental health. Don't be dumb enough to think replacing a police officer with a mental health counselor is going to do the job of calming down a deranged person with a weapon. That counselor needs back up in case the attempt to calm ends up out of control.

The French Quarter is a high crime area with lots of pick-pocketing and stuff like that and an occasional murder or two. I enjoy it with eyes wide open to what is going on around me. I hope you have a great time.

I've already concluded that responding to Terapined's posts is mostly a waste of time, and sadly, I'm probably more inclined to agree with him than I am with you, on most things. My opinion is that most of his posts do not even make a half-hearted attempt to defend whatever point is being made anymore.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 24th, 2021 at 6:24:45 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: terapined
Crime is high in cities
This is news to fleaswatter lol
Meanwhile
Having a blast in New Orleans
Is the murder rate high?
Could care less, I'm doing the Quarter

Rightie logic: Crime in big cities is the President’s fault during Democratic administrations and the local politicians’ fault during Republican presidencies.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 24th, 2021 at 6:33:20 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Not only did Biden reject defund the police.

Quote:
Biden, in fact, has come under fire from the left for his position and for proposing to spend an additional $300 million a year on the community policing program started in the Clinton administration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/#Biden-and-police?itid=lk_inline_manual_9
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 25th, 2021 at 7:19:39 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Rightie logic: Crime in big cities is the President’s fault during Democratic administrations and the local politicians’ fault during Republican presidencies.

Not this rightie. Most of the crime in big cities is because they are big cities. Local causes far outweigh the federal causes. I will say that ‘federal’ does add to the problem, with BLM supported by leaders, and not called out for the racist, violent organization that it is. But the local ‘no bail needed for most criminals’ and ‘we won’t arrest you for only stealing $900’ are basically incentivizing crime. Those are Democrat/Progressive policies. Other than funneling more money to police departments nationwide, there is little the Biden administration can do to curb crime. Local governments can do a lot, but in most Democrat cities they have decided that locking up a criminal tends to be racist, and they’d rather have criminals free on the streets than be (wrongly) considered racist.

Above also answers terapined’s question about ‘what would you do’. I’d RAISE the amount needed for bail for ALL crimes.
December 25th, 2021 at 7:34:51 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO
I will say that ‘federal’ does add to the problem, with BLM supported by leaders, and not called out for the racist, violent organization that it is. .

The Black fathers that you play basketball with that no doubt support BLM. They have kids and they are scared for their children. Do tell those parents that they should not support BLM????????????????????????
Do you tell those parents they are racist if they support BLM
Am I a racist because I support BLM
What is so racist over believing a Black life matters
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 25th, 2021 at 8:08:23 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
The Black fathers that you play basketball with that no doubt support BLM. They have kids and they are scared for their children. Do tell those parents that they should not support BLM????????????????????????

They automatically support BLM by virtue of being black men who play basketball is what you’re saying?

That sounds a little, uh, you know…
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 25th, 2021 at 8:25:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
They automatically support BLM by virtue of being black men who play basketball is what you’re saying?

I think it is kind of like assuming blacks support Jesse Jackson. Many do, but the smart ones realize the damage he does and cannot stand him.
The President is a fink.
December 25th, 2021 at 8:34:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
Not this rightie. Most of the crime in big cities is because they are big cities. Local causes far outweigh the federal causes. I will say that ‘federal’ does add to the problem, with BLM supported by leaders, and not called out for the racist, violent organization that it is. But the local ‘no bail needed for most criminals’ and ‘we won’t arrest you for only stealing $900’ are basically incentivizing crime. Those are Democrat/Progressive policies. Other than funneling more money to police departments nationwide, there is little the Biden administration can do to curb crime. Local governments can do a lot, but in most Democrat cities they have decided that locking up a criminal tends to be racist, and they’d rather have criminals free on the streets than be (wrongly) considered racist.

Above also answers terapined’s question about ‘what would you do’. I’d RAISE the amount needed for bail for ALL crimes.

We seem to be cycling back. Urban crime happened but was not the huge issue pre-1960s. By the late 1960s though cities started becoming less and less livable, reaching a nadir in the late 1970s. There was complaint of "white flight" as anyone who could bugged out.

Nixon then later Reagan took the position that we needed to clean up the cities. How much their leading by example helped can be debated, but starting in the late 1980s cities started to become desirable living again. Putting the ballpark in the city was making more sense than putting it out in the sticks by itself. Apartments and condos in downtown areas. The word "gentrification" was coined, and there was complaint of whites "gentrifying out" non-whites.

Meanwhile bail and criminal penalties were being called "mean" and eliminated. This is almost as if pols would rather have more crime but no gentrification to keep their jobs. Yes, I am cynical enough to believe there are pols who think that way.
The President is a fink.
December 25th, 2021 at 9:18:04 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mission146

No
I just know that Soopoo has black friends because he has such a killer shot. Pass him the ball and you will get an asist
He can golf also
Very talented
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 25th, 2021 at 1:38:33 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

I really thought you were speaking of the Bureau of Land Management until I got to your last sentence. It makes more sense now.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.