In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

July 24th, 2021 at 2:43:49 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Democrat Congress run Washington D.C. had one of the highest murder rates in the country last year. Six times the murder rate in Kabul, Afghanistan. In response, the politicians set up a committee to ‘reimagine the police’ and cut $15 million from the police budget.

This year, they have 200 fewer police officers, and homicides are up 44%.

Three shot outside National's Park July 18th

Two shot one mile from The Whitehouse, July 22

35 shots

Frustrated Police Chief Contee
July 24th, 2021 at 5:59:50 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
What do you expect?

Most of the denizens of DC are black ghetto dwellers, only a couple steps above wild animals.

Poorly educated, poorly parented, with few or no realistic prospects to succeed in the white man's world.

The cops kept the bars on their cages strong enough, but now they're getting out more and letting their true nature run wild.

Understandable, but not acceptable.
July 24th, 2021 at 6:08:30 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko
Democrat Congress run Washington D.C. had one of the highest murder rates in the country last year.

Yawn
This ain't news.
DC has crime and the sky is blue
DC has been a mess my whole life
Grew up in the area outside DC
Nothing much has changed
Would be much worse with a Republican in charge.
That's why dems always win
But
It's got one of the most beautiful bike rides around
I've done this loop many many times
Take bike on metro, get off at White House
Ride around monuments then to Georgetown
Catch the old canal towpath north.
Reach Silver Spring, head to rock creek Park
Roads closed to traffic on the weekend
Down rock creek parkway past the National zoo
Back to the white house
Magnificent beautiful bike ride
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 24th, 2021 at 6:16:10 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
It sounds like a terrific bike ride for those who want to enjoy natural scenery and massive Government waste simultaneously.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 24th, 2021 at 8:53:52 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mission146
It sounds like a terrific bike ride for those who want to enjoy natural scenery and massive Government waste simultaneously.

You really dont see govt waste riding around DC tourist areas
The monuments area of DC is beautiful, magnificent and safe
Air and space museum is one of my favorite museums to visit
Might as well visit it. You are paying for it regardless
Its money very well spent
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 24th, 2021 at 9:38:30 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
This is not really breaking news (at least not at a national level), but it caught my attention out of curiosity:

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/07/22/sfdpw-trash-can-prototypes-20k-price-tag/

San Francisco is looking to install high tech trash cans around the City (according to the article replacing the 3K cans that there currently are). They talk about having sensors that can alert the trash crew when it is getting full. But, I suspect the real reason is only hinted at in this piece (right now they have a massive problems with homeless people basically pulling out the contents of the can and leaving it dumped all over the sidewalk). And, having more secure trash cans will just put a bandage on this issue.

Still 20k per can (especially when you need over 3k cans), seems extremely pricey, even the "getting it closer to 4k" when mass production starts seems pricey. I don't know how much it would save by lowering sidewalk cleanup costs and more efficiently routing garbage crews (so they don't spend most of their day emptying cans that do not need to be emptied), but hopefully the city does some kind of analysis to work it out.
July 24th, 2021 at 5:25:02 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
I was just ok with Cleveland Indians
but
Rather have an actual tribe name such as Seminoles
Reds kins had to go

I may be biased being from Cleveland but I think the name Indians isn't politically incorrect. I did agree with them getting rid of their logo a couple years ago. I could see how that is offensive.

At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 25th, 2021 at 4:40:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
I may be biased being from Cleveland but I think the name Indians isn't politically incorrect. I did agree with them getting rid of their logo a couple years ago. I could see how that is offensive.

I fail to see how a cartoon drawing can be offensive. If a couple people are "offended" tell them to root for the Yankees instead. Make the equivalent style but to some Irish guy and you will get 90% support from anyone with an Irish background. I think it is really a case of white people being offended for Indians.
The President is a fink.
July 26th, 2021 at 3:12:17 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: missedhervee
What do you expect?

Most of the denizens of DC are black ghetto dwellers, only a couple steps above wild animals.

Poorly educated, poorly parented, with few or no realistic prospects to succeed in the white man's world.

The cops kept the bars on their cages strong enough, but now they're getting out more and letting their true nature run wild.

Understandable, but not acceptable.
And I can understand reacting like this to the recent situation. But this is an awful libel. At one period of my life I did a lot of business with Black Washingtonians ... and to paint all of them like this is absurd, they are real, normal people for the most part.

It's the young men who are out of control [not all of course]. With the people who are running these cities, they are like what you should expect, a pure case of reaping what you sow.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 26th, 2021 at 4:12:41 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Asian cultures respect the elderly. Democrats beat their brains out.