Buying an Old Car

October 15th, 2017 at 7:57:01 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: Mosca
No problem, you'd mentioned $22k 112000 mile trucks, it wasn't clear that the price was the issue rather than the miles. Actually it's really hard to get nice used trucks at any mileage, anyone who already has one keeps it. These are ex-rentals.

I noticed that when looking for my current SUV. I like the new Ridgeline, but people run them for 200000 miles before they let them go.

That’s why people buy them new for $50k, they can control the maintenance and useage, and amortize the cost over 10-15 years.
October 15th, 2017 at 9:03:32 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The Amish constantly repair and rebuild their buggies but they have the time and equipment to do so.

Its a question of spare parts and time. If you can do maintenance 'ahead of the breakdown curve' you are fine.

Value is in performance not age. Value is determined by usage, not birth certificates.

Sinking money into an old gig is a risk.
January 7th, 2018 at 1:52:15 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Just here so AZD / EB / petro can shame me back to the straight and narrow...

First, the idiot's pick. See also: Desire Personified...

'08 Denali. It's so pretty. I hate the digital interior and power everything, including such ridiculousness as power rear window and sunroof, but I deeply covet the 400hp / 415ftlbs. At ~95k for $23k, that alone will probably save me. But it's pretty enough to worry. Help me out, here.

Second, the compromise.

'09 STX. None of that "eco-beast" bulls#$%, as I'm scared one loose bolt will turn into a five figure repair bill. Just a regular ol' small V8. I loved the look of this first time I ever saw one, I just can't wrap my head around owning a Ford. ~62k for $16k. It fills the "desire" portion of getting something you actually want, while still being sort of frugal. Again, I'm just struggling with the Ford aspect.

And last, the intelligent choice.

'06 Silverado 2500. Has a V8, clean title, even comes with a snow plow and has ONLY 26k on the clock. About the only thing bad I can say about it (except color) is it's a single cab. The thing I can't figure out is, if it has all that with only 26k, how can it be going for just $12,988?

Maybe I should just buy that '71 'burban I saw the other day...
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 7th, 2018 at 2:13:32 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
Just here so AZD / EB / petro can shame me back to the straight and narrow...

You are aware you are asking the guy who stayed awake 35+ hours straight to save on a car. If you are good there, read on.

I gravitate to the 2500 except that single cab. Had a fleet of single cabs, always wished for a club cab. Crew cab is overkill IMHO. Then again, maybe the Ford.

The Denali looks like the guy in the next car will hear the tires and you will feel the paint on the road when you drive over the centerline. Not to mention a 4 figure tire replacement cost.

Ford makes a good truck. Putting aside the Ford/Chevy/Mopar battles I have outgrown, they sell the most for a reason. But I steer clear of used performance anything. They get driven hard, and I buy a truck to be a truck. I want performance, I get a Mustang. But I care less about performance anymore.

To the 2500. Are you telling me this was driven just 2,000 miles per year? Some old lady drive it to church, market, and plow her driveway? Did all the reverse from the plowing negate the miles? Was it some kind of mall lot warrior plow vehicle?

People who buy trucks run the life out of them. More true for 3/4-1 tons. 260K miles more believable. Caveat Emptor!
The President is a fink.
January 7th, 2018 at 3:06:26 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I gravitate to the 2500 except that single cab. Had a fleet of single cabs, always wished for a club cab. Crew cab is overkill IMHO. Then again, maybe the Ford.

The Denali looks like the guy in the next car will hear the tires and you will feel the paint on the road when you drive over the centerline. Not to mention a 4 figure tire replacement cost.

Ford makes a good truck. Putting aside the Ford/Chevy/Mopar battles I have outgrown, they sell the most for a reason. But I steer clear of used performance anything. They get driven hard, and I buy a truck to be a truck. I want performance, I get a Mustang. But I care less about performance anymore.
This is my thoughts as well.

So, I looked here to make sure before posting; https://www.carfax.com/Used-2009-Ford-F-150-STX_x10197, to see if those Denali's came with big fat stupid tires on them, they don't. My rigs stay stock, the way they were engineered. Anytime you big up the front tires on a rig, expect to start replacing tie rods and every other wear part underneath. I defy anyone with tires and jacked up like that to get a front end alignment that stays aligned for a hundred miles. Looks like the tires were just replaced so you couldn't see the uneven wear. Fat tires are suicidal in snow and ice.

If you want performance, like Az. said, get a car, I say rent it, run the hell out of it and take it back. Fastest car in the world, is a rental car. hehe.

edit: I was friends with some guys in maintenance at the DOT, they were determined to retire before having to work on those newer Fords. Half of the motor is shoved so far back it is underneath the firewall. Is that eco thing one of those that runs on 4 cyl, then 6 or 8 when performance demands it? Talk about uneven wear on the valves, man oh man. You know what they say when replacing internal parts about putting used parts up against new. The old parts are worn a few thousandths already, so they don't mate. These engines come from the factory with that uneven wear built in. IMO
The tires aren't stock on the second choice either, but better than being all jacked up, still just asking to start replacing front end parts.

What is it that you actually want a truck for? Do you want to show your friends and women how successful you are? I get either vehicles or boats, to use. You and the boy could sleep in the burb, and the dog and camping equipment.

The plow looks like it could pay for itself in a couple months, but as has been said, I want extended cabs anymore. I also want full size bed, but that's me.

If you want something that will really serve you for towing your race car, how about a used utility truck with dually's and a utility bed, where you can lock up tools and and jacks and parts and still have plenty of power left over to tow, and the dual's to fight the sway instead of having to use every skill you possess each way each time?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 7th, 2018 at 3:10:31 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Face

'06 Silverado 2500. Has a V8, clean title, even comes with a snow plow and has ONLY 26k on the clock. About the only thing bad I can say about it (except color) is it's a single cab. The thing I can't figure out is, if it has all that with only 26k, how can it be going for just $12,988?

I would guess that is close to Blue Book for a 12 year old low mileage truck.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 7th, 2018 at 3:26:04 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
This is what I drive, but mine is a stick: I'll never be able to wear it out, but I'm tired of shifting. These don't hold value. They go cheap, won't attract girls, but the torque is amazing.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 7th, 2018 at 4:00:34 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
May I please have some car advice.

Looking at 08 Chrysler 300 C xl w 5.7L Hemi.
30650mi. $12,800 in dealer ad.

Question. Isn't this a Daimler car?

If it's a Florida car, no salt, no damage, isn't that a pretty damn good deal?

I shopped these in 2005, wanted one so bad, but they were about 42-45k new. And favorably comp to Lexus etc due to Daimler trying to upgrade that model.

Or not. Thanks.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 7th, 2018 at 4:05:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: beachbumbabs
May I please have some car advice.

Looking at 08 Chrysler 300 C xl w 5.7L Hemi.
30650mi. $12,800 in dealer ad.

Question. Isn't this a Daimler car?

I would never buy a Chrysler again. Last one I had biggest piece of junk ever.

When we had a fleet of them, they ran great until about 50,000 miles. After that you were on a first name basis with the service department.

This is after Daimler sold out, thought the design is from before. I doubt it matters.
The President is a fink.
January 7th, 2018 at 5:07:06 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I would never buy a Chrysler again. Last one I had biggest piece of junk ever.

Amen, brother! My first car was a very used 1973 Plymouth Duster. As a reminder to the younger folk, Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge were all under one umbrella. It's my understanding the Dodge Dart (the car Al Bundy drove) and the Plymouth Duster were the same except in name. Granted, it was a used car, but it had a long list of issues and was frequently in the shop. I spent much more on repairs my two years owning the car than on the car itself. There were all kind of cosmetic problems with the interior I didn't have the budget to address. The biggest inconvenience to the car is that it wouldn't start warm. If you turned off the ignition, you couldn't turn it back on again for at least four hours. It also didn't want to shut off. It was kind of funny, you would take the keys out of the car but it would still be puttering for about 30 seconds, as if clinging to life. Finally, who else on the forum can say they had a manual transmission car with the gear shift on the steering column?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber