1 vote (16.66%)
1 vote (16.66%)
2 votes (33.33%)

6 members have voted

April 25th, 2014 at 6:37:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin

They normally show Phillies games on Comcast Sports Network, but if there is a conflict with some other sport they will sometimes push the game to The Comcast Network. If you are a die hard fan and you don't have Comcast Cable, some of the local cable companies don't want to pay for the third network. Even if you are willing to pay to see the game, you don't have that option.

Once people get used to selecting movies and TV shows on Netflix, it drives them crazy not to be able to watch all the games.

This begs two questions, related to each other:

1. How long until almost all local teams are just on their own ala carte channel, PPV individual game, streamed, etc but no matter what you have to do something proactive to view them

2. If and when this does happen, what of their fan base long-term? I might get to like the Steelers or Pirates because I see them on TV as I channel surf. But if I have to pay then chances are far lower that I will do so unless I am already a long-term fan. Are the days of kids learning to like baseball because the game was on NBC on Saturday and they watched over?
The President is a fink.
April 25th, 2014 at 1:15:38 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The Phillies are only on NBC 10 times during the regular season, so if you don't subscribe to cable you are unlikely to become a fan.

NBC games
Friday, May 23 vs. LA Dodgers 7:05 PM
Friday, June 6 @Cincinnati 7:10 PM
Wednesday, June 18 @Atlanta 12:10 PM
Saturday, July 5 @Pittsburgh 4:05 PM
Saturday, July 19 @Atlanta 7:10 PM
Saturday, July 26 vs. Arizona 7:05 PM
Saturday, August 2 @Washington 7:05 PM
Saturday, August 9 vs. NY Mets 7:05 PM
Friday, August 22 vs. St. Louis 7:05 PM
Friday, September 5 @Washington 7:05 PM

They very rarely get bumped to the secondary cable channel, so it is only a big deal to the really hard core fans who can't miss a game. But in principal, I feel like they should have the option of buying these games online or PPV.

So far cable companies are not seriously talking about putting this level of sports on a higher cable tier, but many consumer advocates are pushing for a tier with ESPN, FOX Sports, Comcast sports, etc.
April 26th, 2014 at 5:55:53 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
The best football players in the world play in the NFL. The league has a huge amount of very talented players. The same goes for the NBA in regards to basketball.

I can't watch either one of them on a regular basis. They just aren't that fun to watch. The NFL does the best it can to even the playing field for everyone so there is "parity" and it is just plain hard to find a team to hate, for no great reason, like I used to hate the Dallas Cowboys. I still dislike them; but it is hard to develop "hatred" (in a sports sense) for mediocrity. The league breeds mediocrity at the team level.

Playoff game on ESPN? I may watch it, but I don't really care all that much. Depends on whether I've seen all the "Big Bang Theory" re-runs that night!!

The NFL and NBA are just not as much fun for me to watch as college ball.
April 28th, 2014 at 6:02:19 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
I never realized ESPN accounted for so much of the cable bill.

My thoughts are they make more money but in part because they're selling their future short by not replenishing their future fans.
April 28th, 2014 at 7:30:47 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
I never realized ESPN accounted for so much of the cable bill.

My thoughts are they make more money but in part because they're selling their future short by not replenishing their future fans.

If the low-information public begins to find out there will be an uproar. If they move it to a premium tier ESPN will not survive int heir current cost structure.
The President is a fink.
April 28th, 2014 at 8:02:48 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Quote: AZDuffman
If the low-information public begins to find out there will be an uproar. If they move it to a premium tier ESPN will not survive int heir current cost structure.
It would change things quite a bit and you're right.
April 28th, 2014 at 8:04:35 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: 1nickelmiracle

When Disney moved Monday Night Football to cable in 2006, predictably it broke all previous cable ratings. Disney began to exponentially increase their fees to cable companies with this move. Starting in 2009, NBC's Sunday Night Football started moving up in broadcast rankings from #11-#13 to #1-#3.

Thursday Night Football, TNF (8 games) also started on NFL Network in 2006. The network has decided to sell the rights to TNF to CBS starting next year. CBS will temporarily re-arrange their schedule to accommodate these 8 games.

I know ESPN is more than just football, but people may vote with their wallets. With games on broadcast networks two nights a week, some people may decide that the cable bill is not worth the money.
September 15th, 2014 at 9:24:54 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Condoleezza Rice for NFL commissioner? (MSNBC)

Gee, so now libs are turning to Condi to rescue the NFL? Remember, these are the same people who have been vilifying her for well over a decade.

I'd love it if she told them to go pound sand. Let the NFL die with Roger Good-liberal!
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
September 15th, 2014 at 9:29:31 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Pacomartin
When Disney moved Monday Night Football to cable in 2006, predictably it broke all previous cable ratings. Disney began to exponentially increase their fees to cable companies with this move. Starting in 2009, NBC's Sunday Night Football started moving up in broadcast rankings from #11-#13 to #1-#3.

Thursday Night Football, TNF (8 games) also started on NFL Network in 2006. The network has decided to sell the rights to TNF to CBS starting next year. CBS will temporarily re-arrange their schedule to accommodate these 8 games.

I know ESPN is more than just football, but people may vote with their wallets. With games on broadcast networks two nights a week, some people may decide that the cable bill is not worth the money.

TNF football is an aberration and should be removed from the line up. I won't watch football on Thursdays, unless it's the Turkey Day game and the Lions are playing. And even that's tricky, as I tend to be working during US thanksgiving...
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 15th, 2014 at 10:58:01 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: TheCesspit
I won't watch football on Thursdays, unless it's the Turkey Day game and the Lions are playing.

The Lions always play on Thanksgiving. Them and the so-called Football team from Texas.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 2 of 3<123>