Korean Ferry Is it foreigners?

Page 2 of 4<1234>
April 22nd, 2014 at 3:47:53 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Evenbob
It actually goes back to 1910

General foreigner-phobia goes way back. Korea has suffered a multitude of invasions over history. They seem to be more protective about their language as a consequence. Ever see a church that is sharing services with Korean Christians? They'll have a sign posted in Korean. Almost no other group else does that.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 22nd, 2014 at 4:01:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
All Asian cultures are very clannish, they think
they're the best. The Japanese are especially
bad, they don't allow immigration of any kind.
They still believe they are the one and perfect
culture. In some ways I agree. They have a lot
of positive things going for them.

In Asia most countries have several clans within the country. Ever wonder why it seems half of Korea has the surname "Kim?" Kim Clan. Most other countries clan-up and hate their neighbors. To be Korean in Japan is a far worse fate than to be black in the US South pre-1960. Yes, Japanese are very hostile to outsiders. If you are western they might not love you but they at least find you amusing and probably useful so they will talk to you and invite you out for drinks, etc.

They say American Men are considered exotic by Japanese women. Should have went over when I was younger.
The President is a fink.
April 22nd, 2014 at 4:22:32 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
They say American Men are considered exotic by Japanese women. Should have went over when I was younger.

It sounds like wishful thinking.
April 22nd, 2014 at 5:28:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Pacomartin
It sounds like wishful thinking.

Why not? I do wish I knew about teaching english there right out of college. Tried to a few years back, didn't get selected. To this day only job I had to bring my diploma to an interview.
The President is a fink.
April 22nd, 2014 at 5:44:57 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I don't mean teaching English is wishful thinking. But the idea that there is a country where women find American exotic is wishful thinking. Most women like American men with money, not English teachers.
April 22nd, 2014 at 6:04:14 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I don't mean teaching English is wishful thinking. But the idea that there is a country where women find American exotic is wishful thinking. Most women like American men with money, not English teachers.

I knew what you meant, but Japan is not poor. Talked to one guy who taught he said because you are not Japanese and are different the women get interested. But yeah, internationally women are interested in the money American men have. It is regarded worldwide that American men make the best husbands but they think American women make bad wives. So you get women from poorer countries (not Japan) who don't mind being a wife going after the American guys.

I did know that guy married and brought back the girl from Japan. A few others I knew did as well. Asian women and white males seem to be a good fit culturally. They get treated better but still act like women and not men.
The President is a fink.
April 22nd, 2014 at 6:47:15 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Happiest man in the world has an American salary, a Japanese wife, a British home, and eats Chinese food.
Saddest man in the world has a Chinese salary, a Japanese home, eats British food, and has an American wife.

The stereotypes are well known. I worked for the Navy, and I met men who were on their third Filipino wife. They would continually go back in search of their ideal. I had a neighbor who was on his third White Russian wife.

And "being different" does often have it's perks. Why do you think so many Australian men fly to USA?

I just find the oft repeated story about such and such country where the women love American men to be mostly wishful thinking.
April 22nd, 2014 at 7:11:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman

The stereotypes are well known. I worked for the Navy, and I met men who were on their third Filipino wife. They would continually go back in search of their ideal. I had a neighbor who was on his third White Russian wife.

I just find the oft repeated story about such and such country where the women love American men to be mostly wishful thinking.

A lot of the problems in the former are unreal expectations. If you want a hot Russian model-looking wife you need the wallet to match. We had two worked for us as temps, you don't even want to know......

A change of scenery can make the guy give off a pheremone of confidence that attracts women. Not every woman is going to run up to you, but more may talk to you. Some of these guys do mail order brides want a slave, but the serious ones want women who act like women and not men so they can act like a man and not a girlie-man.
The President is a fink.
April 22nd, 2014 at 11:58:19 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Happiest man in the world has an American salary, a Japanese wife, a British home, and eats Chinese food.

And drives a German car.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 22nd, 2014 at 12:03:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

The stereotypes are well known. I worked for the Navy, and I met men who were on their third Filipino wife..

I knew a guy who had a Filipino wife and she
was hell on wheels, made his life miserable.
Screaming all the time. Knew a teacher 30
years ago who had a Thai wife. He said the
secret was never let them learn English, so
they were dependent on you. He spoke
nothing but Thai to her, and Thai and English
to their kids. She was not allowed to learn
or speak a word of English. I wonder how it
worked out, he ruled his home like a potentate.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 2 of 4<1234>