Speaking of guns...

Page 1 of 212>
October 30th, 2012 at 3:00:04 PM permalink
blount2000
Threads: 5
From another thread:
Quote: Face
Guns, too, will come. If someone doesn't, I surely will.

I seem to be in the minority in my family when it comes to preferring a revolver over a semi-automatic pistol for personal defense. I own a shotgun for primary home defense, but I have a S&W .357 for when I travel. I've had the S&W for over 20 years and really enjoy shooting it.

The main reason I prefer the revolver is that I truly believe with 99.99% certainty that it would fire all six rounds if ever needed. It might not fire them very fast, but I know it would fire them without the potential for a jam.

I see where most people who carry handguns as part of their job (police, military, etc.) choose a semi-automatic, but for some reason I've never been able to become fully comfortable with the idea of trusting a semi-auto not to jam.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've owned a few pretty cheap/crappy semi-automatics over the years which is probably where my mistrust originates. Lord knows those scoundrels would jam up if you looked at them wrong! I haven't ever owned a higher quality semi, so perhaps my own "trust issues" are a bit misplaced?

Any folks out there that have as much trust in a semi as a revolver?
October 30th, 2012 at 3:15:57 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: blount2000
Any folks out there that have as much trust in a semi as a revolver?

Why sure, but of course, with exceptions.

My AMT is a son of a bitch. Not a regular "son of a bitch", but a "Son of a BITCH", said in just that manner. Most ammo cycles too fast for it to get out of the way of itself, and the soft lead tip of the bullet jams the breach and gets stuck. Only Federal ammo is reliable, and even that I don't trust completely. I only use it in the city where concealment is a must, and only because one guaranteed shot is better than zero guaranteed shots.

My Glock, on the other hand...let me put it this way. You could submerged it in mud. I'll let you do it. Go to the lake to rinse it off. Drop it in the lake. Let it sit a year. Dredge is out and re-wash it off. Kick it back to the house and onto the driveway. Run it over with your truck. Pick it up and throw it to me, missing and striking a brick wall. I'll bet cash money I could then pick it up and hit a bullseye from 20yds.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 30th, 2012 at 3:33:08 PM permalink
blount2000
My Glock, on the other hand...let me put it this way. You could submerged it in mud. I'll let you do it. Go to the lake to rinse it off. Drop it in the lake. Let it sit a year. Dredge is out and re-wash it off. Kick it back to the house and onto the driveway. Run it over with your truck. Pick it up and throw it to me, missing and striking a brick wall. I'll bet cash money I could then pick it up and hit a bullseye from 20yds.

So does it all come down to quality? And is there just a big gap between poor semi's and quality ones? It seems like you can have a bunch of crappy revolvers that have no problem firing (they may not be accurate but they do fire), but the lower quality semi's seem to jam up so easily. At least the few that I have owned did.

In other words, is there not much of a "middle ground" when it comes to the semi-autos? Do you pretty much have to get into the higher end semi's to obtain a good level of confidence that the gun will not jam?
October 30th, 2012 at 3:49:52 PM permalink
Face
Quote: blount2000
So does it all come down to quality? And is there just a big gap between poor semi's and quality ones? It seems like you can have a bunch of crappy revolvers that have no problem firing (they may not be accurate but they do fire), but the lower quality semi's seem to jam up so easily. At least the few that I have owned did.

In other words, is there not much of a "middle ground" when it comes to the semi-autos? Do you pretty much have to get into the higher end semi's to obtain a good level of confidence that the gun will not jam?

As with anything, you get what you pay for, and guns are certainly no exception.

"Crappy" is a questionable term. What I mean is, one could certainly call my AMT crappy. I mean, hell, it can only fire one type of ammo, and even that is suspect? Sounds pretty crappy to me. In reality, all it probably needs is a stiffer spring in the slide so it doesn't cycle so fast, and viola!, you have a quality piece.

In general, I'd guess semi's are more fickle than revolvers simply due to the increase in moving parts. While the Glock is like the AK of the pistol world in terms of reliability, I'm sure I could poke the guts with a screwdriver, barely bend something, and make it useless.

And, at $635 including tax and applicable registration fees, I hardly consider Glock "high end". Quality? Absolutely, but it's not fancy. If buying new, talk to a gun guy, or even better, a gunsmith. The guy at your local Walmart does not count.
October 31st, 2012 at 8:11:09 AM permalink
RedNeckerson
As with anything, you get what you pay for, and guns are certainly no exception.

"Crappy" is a questionable term. What I mean is, one could certainly call my AMT crappy. I mean, hell, it can only fire one type of ammo, and even that is suspect? Sounds pretty crappy to me. In reality, all it probably needs is a stiffer spring in the slide so it doesn't cycle so fast, and viola!, you have a quality piece.

In general, I'd guess semi's are more fickle than revolvers simply due to the increase in moving parts. While the Glock is like the AK of the pistol world in terms of reliability, I'm sure I could poke the guts with a screwdriver, barely bend something, and make it useless.

And, at $635 including tax and applicable registration fees, I hardly consider Glock "high end". Quality? Absolutely, but it's not fancy. If buying new, talk to a gun guy, or even better, a gunsmith. The guy at your local Walmart does not count.

The option I always use when shopping is going to the range and renting what I am considering buying. The range owner is usually pretty knowledgeable as well. A Glock is a great gun. But not everybody likes a Glock when compared to something else. Also have the Gunsmith show you how to take it apart for cleaning. I have a S&W that is such a pain to take apart that I never shoot it anymore. It's small, so I carry it. If I ever have to use it then I won't mind having to clean it.
October 31st, 2012 at 2:34:32 PM permalink
MmmmBacon
Threads: 0
Also reliability is not necessarily a function of quality. Generally speaking, you've to two sliders: reliability and accuracy. Move one up, the other goes down. There's handguns out there that can dot an i at 100 yards, but are extremely finicky about ammo, to the point that its really only feasible to use hand loads in them. Then there's guns like Glocks or M&Ps, which, while being accurate enough that you're going to hit what you're aiming for, you're not going to win a bullseye competition with them. Both will eat just about anything you feed through them. Accuracy is typically more expensive than reliability however.. you can get a 99.99% reliable gun for $400-500, whereas a good bullseye gun is going to be $3000+
November 1st, 2012 at 10:41:11 AM permalink
Face
Quote: MmmmBacon
Also reliability is not necessarily a function of quality. Generally speaking, you've to two sliders: reliability and accuracy. Move one up, the other goes down.

Well put. Additionally, you can get both sliders to move up together, but another slider, the one labeled "my bankroll", goes down real fast ;)

A Sheriff buddy of mine had a Beretta 9mm. A nice, cheap gun he could get passed the warden (his wife ;)). That gun turned into his competition gun, and the $500 original price tag finally stopped climbing after the adjustments passed the $5,000 mark. Of course, he was dotting i's at 100 yds...

Bottom line, if you are having issues with jamming and reliability, and it sounds like you are, something is wrong. My damned AMT is the only semi I've ever seen or heard about that's been an issue. I really believe that, like my AMT, you just have a Son of a BITCH. Go to a range and try out different semis, borrow one from your semi carrying family, whatever. You'll see things aren't as bad as you think.

Or just carry the .357. Nothing wrong with that =)
February 7th, 2017 at 3:47:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
70 Year Old Vet Kills Robber with Legal Handgun

http://www.ksdk.com/news/crime/vietnam-veteran-justified-in-killing-robber/397323819
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 7th, 2017 at 4:54:04 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
My dad was a WW2 vet. Had a medal Eisenhower did not, Hand to hand combat with the enemy. Drove a cab for years, later he worked for the Harbormaster in Baltimore. at 72 he started carrying a gun. Said bones take too long to heal at his age.
I will be 77 in May , thinking of getting concealed carry and buying a gun. Don't look scary anymore, so, well you know !
February 7th, 2017 at 4:54:11 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Maybe I should get a new puter first GRRRR
Page 1 of 212>