Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

February 26th, 2021 at 12:25:39 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: JimRockford
Care to elaborate? I have seen several mischaracterizations along these lines but I don't know what indecent you are referring to.

I have seen it over the years as well. Data not showing warming so they change the data.
The President is a fink.
February 26th, 2021 at 1:09:03 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Skipping motives, it is simply easy to slide into pseudo-science and not know it.

A good example is how health experts just assumed that something made from vegetable oil had to be better than animal fat. So we had decades where trans-fats were touted as healthier, and the smarter consumer, for example, should be eating margarine rather than butter.

Finally the hypothesis was tested. Yep that's part of the scientific process. Testing, data, not assumptions. It turns out the trans-fat manufacturing process turns vegetable oil into something as much like plastic as food. Companies liked the stuff as it had great shelf life for their potato chips etc. But in the human body, it was failing to break down there too.

But the experts assumed they were right originally. After all, they were smart ... smart enough to hypothesize.

You can't even buy trans-fat in anything today.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 26th, 2021 at 1:58:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
Skipping motives, it is simply easy to slide into pseudo-science and not know it.

A good example is how health experts just assumed that something made from vegetable oil had to be better than animal fat. So we had decades where trans-fats were touted as healthier, and the smarter consumer, for example, should be eating margarine rather than butter.

Finally the hypothesis was tested. Yep that's part of the scientific process. Testing, data, not assumptions. It turns out the trans-fat manufacturing process turns vegetable oil into something as much like plastic as food. Companies liked the stuff as it had great shelf life for their potato chips etc. But in the human body, it was failing to break down there too.

You can't even buy trans-fat in anything today.

The argument for pseudoscience is more science not less. Besides, what is the alternative to science? Vegetable oil being better sounds like something common sense was used on. Btw which i have a thread on.

http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/617/0/#post10524 Science vs. Common sense.

Personally I think science needs to be paid to be done without specifying that it reach any outcome. Climate needs to be studied, both for the knowledge and how it affects basic things and very important things like food production. BUT WHETHER THEY DISCOVER ANYTHING WORTHWHILE OR NOT. Knowledge needs to advance.

Do I really think the majority of climate scientists would be saying something different without the politicization? I doubt it. In fact I saw a documentary a few years back where a scientist with conservative views had been coming to the same conclusions before Al Gore, because he didn't know he was supposed to be against it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 26th, 2021 at 2:47:07 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine

Personally I think science needs to be paid to be done without specifying that it reach any outcome. Climate needs to be studied, both for the knowledge and how it affects basic things and very important things like food production. BUT WHETHER THEY DISCOVER ANYTHING WORTHWHILE OR NOT. Knowledge needs to advance.

Nice idea, but not how it works. They need to make dire predictions so the sheep will vote for people who vote for more and more funding.
The President is a fink.
February 27th, 2021 at 8:59:25 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I am doing my best to help warm up this planet. I live in Las Vegas and am tired of being cold. Tomorrow the high temperature here is supposed to be 59 degrees. I plan on going to my porch and spraying aerosols until it warms up.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 27th, 2021 at 9:16:24 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
I am doing my best to help warm up this planet. I live in Las Vegas and am tired of being cold. Tomorrow the high temperature here is supposed to be 59 degrees. I plan on going to my porch and spraying aerosols until it warms up.

Get a Mr Heater buddy
I got one. Had it for years.
Still use it
They're great
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 27th, 2021 at 9:18:25 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Was driving to Joshua Tree National park
Passed by a wind farm
Not a single one was turning
Strange sight
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 27th, 2021 at 1:23:35 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
Get a Mr Heater buddy
Still use it
They're great

It claims it heats up 225 sq ft. I would need 15 of those just to heat my house. How many would it take to just warm up my neighborhood?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 27th, 2021 at 1:57:46 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
Get a Mr Heater buddy
Still use it
They're great
I use this one https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/mr-heater-15-000-btu-silver-single-tank-top-heater-cooker/0000000070339?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping%20feed&utm_content=free%20google%20shopping%20clicks&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-OeBBhDiARIsADyBcE4bqqG88VGl9e1C73MToEnOGA7pV6T6Q6B8OHl27-M9osmOVE45skAaApk-EALw_wcB

Tip it one way for a radiant heater and tip it 90* and cook with it. I've literally worn out 3 of these and have the fourth one in my garage.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 27th, 2021 at 2:48:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
It claims it heats up 225 sq ft. I would need 15 of those just to heat my house. How many would it take to just warm up my neighborhood?

Why do you need the whole house heated? Just stay in bed while you sleep.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?