Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

February 23rd, 2021 at 2:45:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: JimRockford
The earth has but we humans have not. The human species is about 200,000 years old. Humans have experienced global temperatures similar to today about 120,000 years ago. Obviously we survived, but there were only about 20,000, scattered around Africa doing the tribal hunter gatherer thing. Civilization has never seen it this warm. Our temp is rising about 10 times faster than it did back then and we haven't peaked yet.

To me the "right" temp is one that civilization can adapt to and still maintain a modern standard of living. Emerging from past ice ages, temperatures rose 2 degrees C in about 2000 years. We have risen more than 2 deg C in 140 years.

Historically warmer is better. We do not know that it is changing faster at all, we do not have good year by year data. In any case the planet will do what the planet will do and mankind will be extinct in 1000 years at the rate we are doing so quit worrying yourself.
The President is a fink.
February 24th, 2021 at 4:01:35 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Cold snaps and heat waves are just weather, no real scientist would try to draw conclusions from single events. So here we go, the media brings journalists on who claim otherwise and we sit here and say "oh, I've listened to the science now" all too easily.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 24th, 2021 at 4:03:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: odiousgambit
Cold snaps and heat waves are just weather, no real scientist would try to draw conclusions from single events. So here we go, the media brings journalists on who claim otherwise and we sit here and say "oh, I've listened to the science now" all too easily.

Belief in global warming is nothing but a religion for atheists.
The President is a fink.
February 24th, 2021 at 6:45:52 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2

At the same time there will be those who refute the media or Al Gore or Emma Thompson or me for that matter, and claim they have refuted the climate scientists.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
February 24th, 2021 at 1:25:48 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: JimRockford
At the same time there will be those who refute the media or Al Gore or Emma Thompson or me for that matter, and claim they have refuted the climate scientists.
and there is the irony that someone like me, who likes the outdoors, and is retired and thus unworried about what screwy ideas might do the the economy and his job prospects, who really has no reason to carry any water for polluters of any kind, winds up taking the side of those pushing back.
February 24th, 2021 at 3:19:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
and there is the irony that someone like me, who likes the outdoors, and is retired and thus unworried about what screwy ideas might do the the economy and his job prospects, who really has no reason to carry any water for polluters of any kind, winds up taking the side of those pushing back.

I think you can show that there are always some number of pieces of evidence in almost any science that lends itself to someone who is a skeptic of common assertions of that science.

True or false?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 24th, 2021 at 3:31:55 PM permalink
rxwine
And if I went by someone's assertion because a science has got some things wrong, it is discredited, one can certainly discredit a lot of hard science that got things wrong in the past.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 24th, 2021 at 5:45:18 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
I think you can show that there are always some number of pieces of evidence in almost any science that lends itself to someone who is a skeptic of common assertions of that science.

True or false?
True, but I'm not sure where you are going with that.

It seems to me we can be grateful for skeptics most of the time! Michael Crichton's in his book "State of Fear" makes a good case for it. You can skip reading the novelized account of just how crazy people can get who politicize science, but in the afterword he really goes into it, well worth reading. He points out the disastrous conclusions people made about Darwin and the Theory of Evolution, very solid science that in the early part of the 20th century got, yes, politicized. Hello Social Darwinism. This expressed itself into various and sundry horrors including Eugenics and the Nazi movement. And as he points out, Social Darwinism was not scientifically sound at all, making many false assumptions, such as the perceived need to sterilize people who might transmit genes of dull-wittedness. We needed many more skeptics in those days!
February 24th, 2021 at 7:49:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Addressing another point.

Quote:
Katharine Hayhoe on her Facebook page (January 2017)
https://www.facebook.com/katharine.hayhoe/posts/1814155105476035

""Climate Change is a Hoax ....Big Money For Scientists to get Grants....Climate Change is Welfare for Scientists!!"

I receive messages like this on a regular basis. And when I point out that an earth scientist with a PhD would get a lot more money working for an oil company than a university, it's met with total incomprehension.

Why is it that people are so convinced all climate scientists are shoveling millions of dollars of government grant money into their Swiss bank accounts (and oil executives aren't shoveling billions into accounts in the Cayman Islands)?

Part of it might be because grants always seem to involve such enormous sums. And it's true, the biggest grant I was ever awarded was the stunning amount of $1.1M USD. Stunning, that is, until we break it down. Here goes!

I wrote the grant with 4 co-principal investigators from different universities. So we divided up the money about equally, giving each of us around $220,000. Still a nice amount.

The grant was for 4 years, which meant I had $55,500 to spend each year. Still nice, right?

Then the university takes 1/3 of that for "facilities & administration" costs. F&A doesn't cover the luxuries — my office has no window, I bought all my own furniture and computer — but it does give us internet, electricity, and an infernal amount of paperwork. That leaves $37,000 for me to spend each year.

With that money, I pay a graduate student the princely salary of about $25,000; I pay the university their tuition, which is around $10,000; and that leaves $2,000 left over each year. Year one, I buy the student a computer; year two, I pay for them to attend a scientific conference; and years 3 and 4, I pay for us to publish one scientific paper because yes, those cost about $2,000 as well.

BOOM - that's how a scientist spends $1.1M! Surprised?"
February 25th, 2021 at 2:32:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Addressing another point.

Missing the point actually. The money goes to the institutions pushing the global warming hoax. Just because she cannot cut it in the real world and hides there she need not be so bitter.
The President is a fink.