Disappearing Pics

Page 1 of 212>
April 16th, 2014 at 12:29:11 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Why do my pics keep disappearing? I posted a pic of
The Rock and its gone. A couple weeks ago I posted
one of Mila Kunis and it disappeared and now its back again.

Who is messing with this site and why. You can post
pics on a non profit site, its not illegal. Its covered under
'fair use'.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 16th, 2014 at 12:36:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
At least they aren't substituting pics of a giant penis. Site owners sometimes did stuff like that to discourage use of images outside of the original site.

Anyway, every once in awhile a pic goes dead. Possibly because of a problem or they really want to protect their image property.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 16th, 2014 at 12:46:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
That's not it. The link has been removed, HTML
and all. Its a secret censor doing it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 16th, 2014 at 6:34:36 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Evenbob
That's not it. The link has been removed, HTML
and all. Its a secret censor doing it.

No idea, EB. I don't have that power on this board, neither does Face. I'm not aware of any SA's on here, but then it's not my place to know.

Still seems like there should be another, less sinister explanation.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 17th, 2014 at 10:57:15 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I will try an image link to an IMDB photo (I know that IMDB won't let you link to a photo). What do people see?

I see a nondescript logo that looks like a "mirror". If I want to click on it I get

Referral Denied
You don't have permission to access
"http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQwMTk3NDU2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTA3MTI0Mw@@._V1_SY400_SX287_.jpg"
on this server.
Reference #24.24d83bd0.1397800663.8c2b861

Now I will do the same thing with a Wikipedia image
April 17th, 2014 at 11:02:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
With mine the whole HTML disappears, which means a
secret mod is removing it. I think I know who it is, I have
to wait for Mike to return to confirm it.
April 18th, 2014 at 8:00:50 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Pacomartin
I will try an image link to an IMDB photo (I know that IMDB won't let you link to a photo). What do people see?

I see the same thing I saw back when EB was posting pics of Mila. Just a little box with a "torn page" icon in it, as if the link was broken.

I never saw anything when EB posted pics of The Rock. Didn't even know he attempted.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 18th, 2014 at 1:58:45 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Evenbob
You can post
pics on a non profit site, its not illegal. Its covered under
'fair use'.

Your interpretation of fair use is incorrect.

Just as you can not post copyrighted music or movies on non-profit sites, or offer them for free even with proper attribution, you can not publish or copy copyrighted pictures without permission of the copyright holder.

Wikipedia, for example, does not allow copyrighted pictures.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 18th, 2014 at 3:16:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Dalex64
Your interpretation of fair use is incorrect.

No it's not.

"Question: Do I need permission from the copyright holder to make fair use?
Answer: No. If your use is fair, it is not an infringement of copyright -- even if it is without the authorization of the copyright holder."

http://chillingeffects.org/fairuse/faq.cgi
April 18th, 2014 at 4:22:51 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/copyright-fair-use-and-how-it-works-for-online-images/

Let me say it another way. Posting a copyrighted image is not fair use. The key provision in that question is "if the use is fair."

Read the section on thumbnails on that page that you posted.

Thumbnails are fair use. There are a few examples on that site I posted a link to where using the whole image is fair use.

Somewhere between thumbnail and the original image resolution is the line, and it isn't particularly well defined.

The statement that you can post any image on a personal, or not for profit website under fair use is false.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Page 1 of 212>