Remember When

June 9th, 2014 at 3:38:50 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face

And LOL at that guy and his Demon. That stuff is for frames, something that takes a lot of abuse and isn't very visible. Of course he wanted to paint the whole car with it! XD

He was just impressed at how it was supposed to hold up. I never knew frames, but that makes sense. As to the paint you might like to know he did buy some kind of paint, lacquer I think as he was doing the car before base/clear became the standard way of doing it. Anyways, he ended up buying something tinted to some Porsche red. But he bought it before he even was done with the bodywork and ready to prime it. He might have bought it before he bought the primer. Seriously, you would look at what had been done on the car and said he bought it at least a year and a half before it was time. A normal person buys paint right before so it is fresh. Nada.

No idea what happened to probably $100 of once good auto paint.
The President is a fink.
June 9th, 2014 at 6:18:30 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: AZDuffman
Not a big deal, a good, clearing fire is needed for a healthy forest. Just hope you weren't using an emeron paint.

Yeah, let's just recommend to smokers to just toss cigarettes out the window this summer so we can have more clearing fires.
June 9th, 2014 at 6:20:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: boymimbo
Yeah, let's just recommend to smokers to just toss cigarettes out the window this summer so we can have more clearing fires.

You Canadians have some weird forestry practices.
The President is a fink.
June 9th, 2014 at 7:42:54 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: boymimbo

Proper fires are totally a good idea. It really does refresh things and makes a forest alive again.

I wrote about it in my Wyoming thread, but the brutal fires that hit there had already begun to repair. In every inch of the thousands of square miles of fire scarring, it was awash in new green.

Random and reckless fires are no good, but the refusal to clear is a large part of the fire problem we have today. While I'm against a total raping of a forest for logging, failure to do any sort of harvest causes all that old wood to pile up and up until it is no more than a tinder box. One bolt of lightning and an entire state is in flames.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 9th, 2014 at 8:33:38 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Agree. A good forestry practice is to have controlled burns where necessary.
June 10th, 2014 at 6:32:40 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Just read an article in the Atlantic magazine about the 19 super-pro "hotshot" firefighters that died recently* . The wind shifted on them, and what that would mean to their safety did not 'click' for some reason unknown.

In the article, it said that prior to human control forest fires would be beneficial typically, by occurring ever so often; this does not kill all the trees. The problem comes in when the unburned forest floor builds up without burning over years ... when it finally burns, it can be a monstrous inferno that kills everything.

*if you read it skim the first part unless you are really "into it"
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 10th, 2014 at 7:28:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: odiousgambit

In the article, it said that prior to human control forest fires would be beneficial typically, by occurring ever so often; this does not kill all the trees. The problem comes in when the unburned forest floor builds up without burning over years ... when it finally burns, it can be a monstrous inferno that kills everything.

This caused issue in our national parks because it was not well understood for years, by which time the tinder did build on the forest floor. We are now getting better at realizing there were forest fires before man was here and nature did just fine recovering. Some Indian tribes practiced clear-burning.
The President is a fink.
June 11th, 2014 at 8:02:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
What's scary is, nobody in a Western country who's
under 25 can remember a time when there weren't
computers. I remember in the early 60's reading
articles by people who played the 'remember when'
game. Except they were remembering the late
1800's and early 1900's. Remember when you
saw your first car or airplane, or when you got
electric in your house, everybody had an icebox
and the iceman came every day, womens skirts
dragged on the ground and you dated your
best girl in a horse and buggy.

What will the kids under 25 have to remember
when they're 70. Gas cars and paper money
and AM radio probably.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 11th, 2014 at 8:47:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
What will the kids under 25 have to remember
when they're 70. Gas cars and paper money
and AM radio probably.

I don't know. Sooner of later, I expect to hear "Elvis who?" on a regular basis.

Well, maybe Elvis will live on as long as Vegas does. Hard to say.

Do you remember Rudy Vallee, EB? He is someone my dad remembers, but I still remember the name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudy_Vall%C3%A9e
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 11th, 2014 at 11:59:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine

Do you remember Rudy Vallee, EB?

Of course. My fave movie with him is the 1947
Cary Grant hit Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer. I
have it on DVD. Shirley Temple is the bobby..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.