Occulus Rift

Page 2 of 3<123>
April 4th, 2014 at 2:29:48 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
This short (2 years old) is surprisingly emotional. It was designed to display a new game engine that uses new motion capture technology running on a PlayStation 3. PG-13

When you use those triple monitors, what size screen do most people get? Triple 32" diagonals?
July 25th, 2015 at 12:54:04 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2952792/consumer-tech-science/hondas-trippy-dream-drive-is-an-awesome-use-of-virtual-reality.html?google_editors_picks=true
As I climbed into the Acura MDX, I didn’t have high hopes

I was trying out Honda’s Dream Drive, a prototype technology that pairs an Oculus Rift headset with data about the car’s movements to produce a virtual reality simulation.

The car was going to drive around the parking lot at Honda’s new R&D center here in Mountain View, California, and the headset would let me gaze into another world as we drove along.

“I bet it will be a race track with cars whizzing by,” I thought as I put on the headset. Perhaps I’m jaded, but I’ve tried many VR demonstrations and while fun, they often feel a bit lacking and uninspired.

My takeaway? Virtual reality can be cool by itself, but combine it with additional sensations, like the actual movement of real-world surroundings, and it enters a new dimension. This could be a new way to stay entertained on long journeys by car, bus, train or plane.

It’s not clear if the Dream Drive will become a real product, and if so who will sell it. But someone should do it, and fast.

So, I'm wondering what the experience would be on a modern roller coaster? Drops, fast turns and 360 loops?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 27th, 2016 at 3:05:09 PM permalink
rxwine
Oculus Rift launches tomorrow.

Gonna wait awhile. Maybe 2nd or 3rd generation.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 27th, 2016 at 3:36:11 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: rxwine
Oculus Rift launches tomorrow.

Gonna wait awhile. Maybe 2nd or 3rd generation.

Right there with you. Bugs and glitches will be legion.

Nowadays, at least in the gaming and gaming peripheral world, everything should be looked at as a case of paying money to beta test. There are going to be scores of forums dedicated to figuring out just the right settings for just the task you're performing, little design niggles that need be changed, or discovery of serious faults (RRoD, anyone? I went through 8 Xboxs with that mess)

Let the trend monkeys foot that effort. Then we'll stroll in and get a perfected version on clearance =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 28th, 2016 at 2:41:02 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Face
Let the trend monkeys foot that effort.

Those trend monkey out taking selfies.
March 28th, 2016 at 8:52:16 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: TheCesspit
...The research is specially interesting, as it suggests that there is a hormone component to the VR parsing, where people of in testosterone boosting treatments (in the case female to male gender changes) have a change in how they process 3D and spatial awareness.

Perhaps this explains why Bruce Jenner (as he was known then) got into that fatal collision on the Pacific Coast Highway?
March 28th, 2016 at 8:58:39 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: rxwine
So, I'm wondering what the experience would be on a modern roller coaster? Drops, fast turns and 360 loops?

Ask and you shall receive: Occulus Rift Roller Coaster

This strikes me as a clear candidate for the "Why didn't they run this past the insurance guy first?" award. Someone, or many someones are going to get their necks broken by the combination of wearing the device, and riding an actual roller coaster. I can also easily imagine someone tearing it off, and catching a nasty shot to the face when they cant' hang on to it.
January 19th, 2023 at 1:27:01 AM permalink
Jemsnixon
Threads: 0
I believe that when you crash, the buttkicker simply vibrates you more. No burns of the third degree.
January 29th, 2023 at 1:58:24 PM permalink
RH23
Threads: 0
It's interesting to consider the possibility of travelling, as well as journeying through unfamiliar landscapes and possibly encountering other people and things. A 50-story-tall dinosaur is actually possible. With all the sensory information available, it walks with loud, subsonic booms. all within your house.
February 7th, 2023 at 12:33:51 PM permalink
rxwine
The state of VR continues to make more advancements.

https://youtu.be/gAHD2UyTFbI?t=202
Page 2 of 3<123>