Spanish Word of the Day

April 5th, 2014 at 4:55:07 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
Buenaventura Báez intentó anexionar el país a Estados Unidos en 1870's. En esta ocasión, convencería al presidente estadounidense Ulysses S. Grant de enviar barcos de guerra al país caribeño y firmar un tratado de anexión; pese a lo anterior, el Senado no ratificó dicho tratado, lo cual significó una vergüenza para el presidente estadounidense.

I knew we had some involvement. In fact, on the taxi ride from the airport to my hotel in Santo Domingo we passed a naval base and I asked the driver when was the last time the DR was in a war. He gave a very long answer. It seemed like a brief summary of the whole military history of the country, which included a part against the United States. My Spanish wasn't good enough to capture the details.

Any similarities to Puerto Rico? Speaking of PR, one of my other many unanswered questions in my head is just how to define what PR is. Is it a part of the US or not? Is it a country within a country, kind of like Scotland and Wales? To help answer this question, I asked in the duty free store in Miami, "If I'm going to Puerto Rico, may I buy something here?" The salesman said, "I'm sorry, but no. However, you can on your way back." I asked why but he didn't know the answer.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 5th, 2014 at 8:00:16 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The island of Hispaniola was one of the first places in the Americas explored by Europeans.

Has anything of note happened in the Dominican Republic since then?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 5th, 2014 at 8:19:10 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed

They've produced lots of good baseball players. And coffee.
April 6th, 2014 at 12:54:28 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The island of Hispaniola was one of the first places in the Americas explored by Europeans.

Foundation of the Capital Cities

1325 Tenochtitlan México (D.F.)
1498 Santo Domingo Dominican Republic
1515 Havana Cuba
1519 Panama City Panamá
1521 San Juan Puerto Rico
1525 San Salvador El Salvador
1535 Lima Peru
1538 Bogotá Colombia
1538 Sucre Bolivia
1541 Santiago Chile
1565 Rio de Janeiro Brazil
1565 Saint Augustine Florida
1567 Caracas Venezuela
1580 Buenos Aires Argentina
1607 Jamestown Virginia
1620 Plymouth Massachusetts
1638 Belize City Belize

TRIVIA: Hispaniola is one of two Caribbean islands that are shared by two countries. What is the other one?
April 6th, 2014 at 5:57:13 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
TRIVIA: Hispaniola is one of two Caribbean islands that are shared by two countries. What is the other one?

Saint Martin/Martinique. I think it also has the distinction of the smallest island shared by two countries.

In the coffee thread Paco posted the above picture. What does the expression on the counter mean? I take it to means something like "I'm going to remove the dream from you." That's depressing. Like telling a little kid there is no Papa Noel.
April 6th, 2014 at 6:32:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
What does the expression on the counter mean?

"I'm going to wake you up."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 6th, 2014 at 6:57:49 AM permalink
theodores
Threads: 2
Quote:

My answer:

Saint Martin/Sint Maarten (France/Netherlands)
April 6th, 2014 at 6:59:33 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
"I'm going to wake you up."

Given that it is at a coffee place, maybe I should have thought of that.

In English, the word "dream" is often used to mean a lofty ambition, as in the "I have a dream" speech. In retrospect, I was too focused on that usage.
April 6th, 2014 at 7:11:13 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 6-4-13
Palabra: Mestiza

According to SpanishDict.com, today's SWD means of mixed race. However, in the context I found the word, it referred to a mixed drink. So, I'm not sure what to make of it.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast mestiza y mezclada.

Ejemplo time.

Tiger Woods es de raza mestiza. = Tiger Woods is of mixed race.
April 6th, 2014 at 9:16:00 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
In English, the word "dream" is often used to mean a lofty ambition, as in the "I have a dream" speech. In retrospect, I was too focused on that usage.

All Romance languages use the same word for dream and sleep. Old English did the same, but in the middle ages the two concepts diverged.

Interestingly enough "to sleep with" in Old English also meant "to have sex with" just as it does in modern English. As far as I know, there is no similar correlation in Romance languages.