Spanish Word of the Day

Page 2 of 223<12345>Last »
October 31st, 2012 at 9:41:49 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
I knew I would cost me for translating "Penny." I was just trying to show cultural sensitivity. Kind of like if I were talking about the Virgin Mary in I would say Maria if speaking in Spanish.

Some names are translated out of habit, some for convenience. In general they shoulnd't be. IN particular, when there is no equivalent or translation, they definitely shoulnd't be. As far as I know, "Penny" has no equivalent in Spanish.

Quote:
However, I don't see why disfrazas is wrong, as Penny was being asked to disguise herself. Maybe I should have used the reflexive, i.e. te disfrazas. Are you using poner because just a wig isn't really a disguise?

What you said literally retranslates to English as "One cent coin, please disguise the black wig for your Wonder Woman costume." (BTW, wig=peluca, not pelecua).

You could say "¿De que te vas a disfrazar apra Halloween?" menaing "What costume will you be wearing for Halloween." please, let's not go over literal vs meaning again.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 31st, 2012 at 9:37:13 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Fecha: 1-11-12
Palabra: Madrugada

Today's SWD means early morning or dawn.

The question for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast madrugada y amanecer.

Ejemplo time.

Quiero el olor del napalm en la madrugada = I love the smell of napalm in the early morning.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 31st, 2012 at 10:04:48 PM permalink
Nareed
The question for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast madrugada y amanecer.

Madrugada is pretty much confined to mean "very early in the day/morning," say up until sunrise. Amanecer just means the time around sunrise.

Quote:
Quiero el olor del napalm en la madrugada = I love the smell of napalm in the early morning.

That means "I want the smell...." The literal translation would be "Adoro el olor...." But that doesn't seem right. I'd go with "Me encanta el aroma de..." assuming you like smelling napalm at 3 am.
November 1st, 2012 at 3:25:21 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
That means "I want the smell...." .

But querer can also mean to love. If you disagree, what does the title of this song mean?
November 1st, 2012 at 9:58:29 AM permalink
Nareed
But querer can also mean to love.

Then use "amar" which means only "to love" We've been through this before.

Quote:
If you disagree, what does the title of this song mean?

It means, "Si solo quieres mencionar el título de una cacnión, ¿porque no lo escribes en vez de poner un link a youtube?"
November 1st, 2012 at 10:02:00 AM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10
But querer can also mean to love. If you disagree, what does the title of this song mean?

Sweet Jesus. Why do I keep clicking these links?!? Let's have a kiki.
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
November 1st, 2012 at 10:21:31 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Si solo quieres mencionar el título de una cacnión, ¿porque no lo escribes en vez de poner un link a youtube?

Por que creí tú guste el video.
November 1st, 2012 at 10:36:31 AM permalink
Nareed
Por que creí tú guste el video.

That comes out as "Because I though you like the video."

I hardly ever click on links unless I know what they're for. So most often I'll hover on the link and see where it leads. About 999,999 times out of 1,000,001, I won't click on video links if I don't know what they are exactly (too much bandwidth and processor waste). If I know the video is for a song, I won't click on it anyway.

So what's the song called?
November 1st, 2012 at 11:13:57 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
That comes out as "Because I though you like the video."

Then let's try Por que creí tú gustares el video..

Quote:
So what's the song called?

Se me olvido quererte
November 1st, 2012 at 11:21:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Then let's try Por que creí tú gustares el video..

Try again.

Quote:
Se me olvido quererte

What was the question? ;)

Consider that in songs rhyme and scan matter more (BTW the chances of me clicking on to a video for a song in Spanish are about -100% when zero is the lowest possible chance). Also, it's a lot easier to assume love for a person than for a thing. "Querer" in relation to things usually means "want"
Page 2 of 223<12345>Last »