What's the Meaning of Life?

Page 2 of 2<12
April 1st, 2014 at 1:45:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Remember this (psy 101) You don't want too many stones missing from your pyramid!

If you wonder what the heck is "self-actualization"

This sounds pretty good to me:

Quote:
Self-actualization is a term that has been used in various psychology theories, often in slightly different ways. The term was originally introduced by the organismic theorist Kurt Goldstein for the motive to realize one's full potential. Expressing one's creativity, quest for spiritual enlightenment, pursuit of knowledge, and the desire to give to society are examples of self-actualization. In Goldstein's view, it is the organism's master motive, the only real motive: "the tendency to actualize itself as fully as possible is the basic drive... the drive of self-actualization

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-actualization
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 1st, 2014 at 1:54:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: FrGamble
"I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it's not the answer." - Jim Carrey

While I like his quote,the thing you find at the end of a project, is that you find a new one. Sure it can be disorienting to suddenly be without an overriding purpose that was consuming you. You find a new one, and after that, another.

New mountains to climb all the time if you look around enough.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 1st, 2014 at 2:54:39 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Is the ruler really broken or we as humanists just want an excuse to do whatever makes us fleetingly happy based on our whims and our fancies? Do you think looking around at our culture today that the make up your own personal meaning of life based on what you want is really working?

If you got that message from a 'deep meaning of life' being your whims and fancies, then we watched the video in a different way. I think they make a great point. There is no one meaning of life. There's no reason there has to be subjectively or objectively. We may -want- it to be so. Wanting is one thing, getting is another.

Alan Watt took a different approach with his monologue of doing what you love. http://vimeo.com/60087670

It -may be- precisely because many people are not doing what they enjoy and finding their own meanings and rewards, but instead are confined to eat, work, consume. Being happy in this manner doesn't necessarily mean self-interest.

Quote:
I really like your point about finding that absolute from within and I think our salvation will lie in precisely that. It would be hard to prove that putting your gifts and talents towards the loving service of others is the universal meaning of life by argument alone. It is much more quickly and more convincingly discovered through our life experiences.

"I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it's not the answer." - Jim Carrey

Or by other people's life experiences. However, it's hard to make others happy and loved if you don't love yourself.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 1st, 2014 at 2:58:52 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: rxwine
Remember this (psy 101) You don't want too many stones missing from your pyramid!

Some people (I can't find it quickly) have suggested that Maslow's hierarchy sound good in theory, but in practice, many people rate the approval of their peers as far more important than things like love, and belonging and even safety.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 1st, 2014 at 3:43:19 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
It would be hard to prove that putting your gifts and talents towards the loving service of others is the universal meaning of life by argument alone.

I'm busier than a one-armed coar rack right now and can't engage in this pleasant conversation. But I can say this: I can imagine few things worse than what you've just described.

Quote:

"Rich patients are better. They know more money is not the answer." A therapist in one fo the Law and Order series.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 1st, 2014 at 4:10:27 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: TheCesspit

Some people (I can't find it quickly) have suggested that Maslow's hierarchy sound good in theory, but in practice, many people rate the approval of their peers as far more important than things like love, and belonging and even safety.

No doubt, it's been around awhile. But that's more a re-rearrangement of priorities isn't it rather than a rejection of the principle?
April 1st, 2014 at 4:13:09 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: rxwine
No doubt, it's been around awhile. But that's more a re-rearrangement of priorities isn't it rather than a rejection of the principle?

Absolutely. But that's just saying 'we have a hierarchy of needs' which is bleeding obvious, if you ask me. The un-bleeding obvious part is what are those needs for you (and your co-workers, family, friends, enemies)... knowing it can vary is more interesting than knowing it exists. If you ask me, which you might not have been doing...
April 1st, 2014 at 4:18:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Yup. Although I just did a post about the pitfalls of the obvious. : )
May 12th, 2015 at 2:34:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The older I get the more I realize life has
no meaning in and of itself. I mean, how
could it. The idea is preposterous. Every
person gives it his own meaning, but life
itself has none. It just continues on. And
on and on.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 2 of 2<12