The British Virgin Islands

Page 1 of 91234>Last »
March 13th, 2014 at 8:17:08 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I came, I saw, I got drunk as hell. Actually, "getting drunk" isn't really accurate. I suppose "getting sober" would be more apt. After all, if you're drunk the majority of the time, wouldn't the opposite be the thing in which you're getting?

10 days of sun, 10 days of booze, 10 days of travel, tourism, and trolling. I have hours of video downloading as we speak and am awaiting some of the pics to roll in. But while we wait, I may as well start. So let's, shall we?

Up next: The British Virgin Islands!!
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 13th, 2014 at 11:33:20 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Some friends of mine got married in Virgin Gorda. About 20 of us went there and partied for four days. Having spent about a dozen weeks in the US Virgin Islands, the BVI are much classier.
March 13th, 2014 at 1:55:47 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
...the BVI are much classier.

I suppose then instead of people going out to party and get drunk, they get revelers who become inebriated? :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 13th, 2014 at 3:22:00 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Nareed
I suppose then instead of people going out to party and get drunk, they get revelers who become inebriated? :)

No, that is St. Vincente and the Grenadines, an unspoiled place for posh yachties. Monitor Rescue 1 on Channel 66 in Grenadines; channel 16 in BVI.
March 13th, 2014 at 4:57:35 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Love Tortola. Amazing beach on the far side of the island from the cruise pier. Completely insane taxi ride over the top of the mountain to get there.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 13th, 2014 at 4:58:26 PM permalink
Face
Some friends of mine got married in Virgin Gorda. About 20 of us went there and partied for four days. Having spent about a dozen weeks in the US Virgin Islands, the BVI are much classier.

Nice, perhaps this will bring back some memories. We pretty much circled them all, starting in Road Town in Tortola, sailing over to Virgin Gorda, then circling back to Jost Van Dyke before returning to Road Town again. Every day was a new port, sometimes two.
March 14th, 2014 at 8:31:44 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Virgin Gorda is pretty nice, took a vacation there about twenty years ago. Stayed at the Bitter End.

Flight in on a one engine prop-job and the landing at the air strip which was as tight as a nun's *** was nearly as scary as a Charlie Alpha in The 'Nam.

Natives extremely rude and obviously detested Americans. You'd think they were French... :P
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
March 14th, 2014 at 12:47:46 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

I think back to when I was in pest control. There was an ad in the trade mag every month looking for managers on one or the other of the Virgin Islands. I keep thinking I should have done it, if not at least for a few years. Funny thing was they wanted a pic with your resume. Might have killed it for me right there......
The President is a fink.
March 14th, 2014 at 1:04:08 PM permalink
Face
Quote: chickenman

Natives extremely rude and obviously detested Americans. You'd think they were French... :P

Can't stop commenting on the comments long enough to finish the trip report lol...

I heard that they all hate us, but I didn't that vibe at all. The mixologists were all absurdly friendly, the cab drivers, although insane on a level that caused even me to behold in wonder, were all helpful and gave almost a guided tour, and if not for a friendly border agent, I'd likely be in some UK holding cell right now (story later). Even every single local made sure to offer me all the mushrooms I could eat and all the ganja I could smoke. Maybe writing the report will make me remember a surly local, but I can't recall one right now.

Quote: AZDuffman
I think back to when I was in pest control. There was an ad in the trade mag every month looking for managers on one or the other of the Virgin Islands. I keep thinking I should have done it, if not at least for a few years. Funny thing was they wanted a pic with your resume. Might have killed it for me right there......

Cockroaches, man. Big enough to ride upon. Stash the poison and bring ye a broadsword ;)
March 14th, 2014 at 1:49:07 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
They want you to look like you would fit in. Those resorts, even the small ones, make great money, but some things are critical. A Husband and Wife team can usually get hired there if they got married on a boat or something. Anything that fits in with the lifestyle. One woman went to the Bahamas with her law school diploma in one hand and her bikini in the other. The Bahamian power brokers all knew they had to keep the waters pure and the scuba diving perfect so when they found out this bikini clad lawyer was also a scuba diver, she became the Environmental Adviser to the Minister of Tourism and Development. She was hired at a cocktail party less than two weeks after her arrival there.
Page 1 of 91234>Last »